Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worrying about throwing up

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I really worry about throwing up on important materials. It prevents me from reading certain books which I know that I will never be able to have a different copy of. I know that I probably wouldn't throw up but I get anxious when I drink anything because I would probably choke on it if I get anxious and it is likely to throw up that way.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    SonaSona Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Kate_20

I'm so sorry to hear that! It must be so difficult to be dealing with worrying about throwing up. Do you mind telling me more? When did you first start to have this feeling?
  • Options
    @Sona I don't remember when I started to have that feeling. It is becoming an obstacle in my life right now. I know it is irrational but it is hard to get rid of that feeling.
  • Options
    Ohh no, I understand. Do you like tea? Apparently drinking Chamomile or peppermint tea can help combat nausea. Hopefully drinking or smelling the tea might remind you that you are okay and have something to help you out.
  • Options
    I choked on my food today so I wouldn't think about having anything. I was at the brink of throwing up but I didn't. I know it is really gross. Sorry that I am a disgusting person. I should stay away from people because what if I throw up on them.
    @Sona Thanks for your recommendation. I tried peppermint tea before but it only made me miserable.
  • Options
    eeb99eeb99 Posts: 14 Settling in
    Hi @Kate_20
    You're absolutely not a disgusting person at all, it is actually quite common for people to have anxiety surrounding being sick so is definitely not something you are alone in experiencing. That being said I can understand how this can be quite distressing.

I wonder if you have spoken to your GP about this? I'm sure they would have some really good advice or remedies for nausea and even some relaxation techniques for anxiety too.

In the mean time, I would really recommend trying out some relaxation/ breathing techniques when you notice this sense of anxiety coming on. Have you heard of box breathing? It's effectively breathing in for 4 seconds, holding it for 4, breathing out for another 4 seconds and holding it for 4 again.

Google can probably explain it a lot better if you try looking it up (obviously avoid this if you find it makes you feel more sick, and maybe try something more mindful/ relaxing instead like a bit of yoga maybe)!!

Hope this helps and that you're doing alright :)
  • Options
    gemmadixgemmadix Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hey @Kate_20
    some others have already given some great advice about this issue. Being anxious about vomiting is something a lot of people experience so you are definitely not alone. In addition to the suggestions above about relaxation techniques and visiting the GP. I have the idea for you to put the important materials inside a clear zip lock bag whilst reading them, this may reduce your anxiety about reading these documents. I definitely understand this might not stop you from being sick though.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    Hey @Kate_20, I agree with the others. You are definitely not disgusting and what you are experiencing is not so strange at all. So please don't feel that you are. Have you also tried positive affirmations? Thoughts are very powerful. It might help you feel stronger. I have some suggestions of you'd like me to share them with you.