Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

HELP - women's troubles

charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
edited March 27 in Home, Law & Money
So i've got a new foster placement with a single guy. Thing is i'm female and it's going to be so awkward asking for sanitary pads and stuff like that. How am i going to get them. Please help.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @charlieboyz

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

If you feel comfortable talking to him, I would encourage you to. He will surely know that you are growing older and puberty is a part of that, including needing sanitary products.

If you don't have this access, I would encourage you to talk to your school (like the school nurse). Your GP may also be able to help!

If you really don't want to talk to anyone, they sell sanitary products in local shops, supermarkets, and quite often female toilets too :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It's easy for me to say but please try not to be embarrassed. 50% of the population have, have had or will have a period at some point in their lives. It's so normal and most adult men understand that it happens and will be mature about it, and if he isn't, that's more of a reflection on him than you.

That said, you can usually get sanitary products for free from your school or college, or failing that you can order them online from places like Boots or Superdrug. And they sell them in almost every shop that sells food and other medical things :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    If you're super worried about getting a hold of sanitary pads, please ask if your social worker can pick some up for you. Now you're in foster, you'll have a social worker all the time.

Also you could try leaving a note or ask to go to the shop with him and you can pick them up and even borrow his card to pay.

Saying things like "it's that time of the month" should signal in him that he needs to keep stocked for you.

I know it feels embarrassing but if he's a single guy doing fostering then he's gonna need to understand that women have periods and he will need to be prepared for this.

I'm planning on fostering and it'sy intention to have a small basket in the bathroom and keep it stocked with sanitary supplies. Children can start periods at any age due to trauma so it's especially important to understand that just because they're younger doesn't mean they won't have periods too.

Best of luck in your placement, keep us updated!!!!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    thank you @Anch0r33
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Some great suggestions above - would love to echo them all :blush:

I agree with anchor in that he needs to be prepared for times like this. So please don't feel you have to hide this - getting your period is a totally normal and natural part of life and he should understand that :blush:

Of course, as much as periods are natural, I appreciate that it can feel like an uncomfortable topic. So it's totally okay to go at your own pace with this - approach it in whatever way you feel most comfortable with :heart:

Best of luck with your foster placement - we are right here for you whenever you need x
    Hey thanks fpr the support. My social workers actually provided me with all i need :)
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    @charlieboyz glad to hear that! How are you finding your placement?
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Hi @charlieboyz

I am really glad to hear your social workers provided you with all you need. If there's anything else you need or if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to us again. We are more than happy to support you. It is the very least you deserve :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @charlieboyz

I'm so pleased that your social worker helped make this transition easier for you, just wanted to check in and ask how you're feeling?
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    That's great to hear @charlieboyz! Thank you for the positive update :blush:

How are you getting on? :heart:

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    So glad your social workers are on it, as has been said, you shouldn't be left feeling uncertain in any situation like this !! Would love to hear back from you about how things are whenever you're feeling up to it <3<3
    Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I'm really great except I still get lots of panic atacks. I've got a job now though
    Hey @charlieboyz

Yay! It is great to hear from you again. Please don't worry about being away though. I am just really pleased to hear that things are looking better for you at the moment. How are you finding your job? I hope it is going well for you.

Have you currently got any support for your panic attacks? I am just thinking it might be worth speaking to your GP or looking at the support offered by Anxiety UK (https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/) or Mind (https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/self-care/). Please remember we are always here for you too! :3