Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental block

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I feel like I have a mental block when writing my dissertation. Sometimes I just cannot move forward and I feel like I am on the verge of dying. I failed the goals I set up for myself again. It seems like whether I place myself under more pressure or not, it is not going to progress.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Kate_20, I just want to say writing a dissertation is a big project and I know it can be tough getting started. Firstly huge congratulations on getting this far, uni can be so stressful and it's important to congratulate yourself for everything you have done. Is there anyone at uni you can speak to, that can help you get around this mental block, do you have a dissertation supervisor, or anyone on your course doing a similar dissertation?
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    @Dandelion They can't help when I am stuck here. They are better at reading things. They can't give advice when there is no real progress.
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking what is your dissertation on? I'm also writing mine at the moment so I know it can be really challenging to do
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    @Dandelion I'll PM you
  • Options
    @ Dandelion It is impossible to PM you because of the setting :( I don't want my uni to recognise me here. Will have bad influence on me.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Not wanting your uni to recognise you is beyond understandable, Kate!! You don't want to have an additional thing to stress about on top of all your pain :( Given how overwhelmingly depressed you feel right now, it's no wonder a whole dissertation is not the first thing on the list to do, to be honest they are intense to do even in moments of 'happier' mental wellbeing, so please don't beat yourself up about this <3 i know none of this tangibly helps you to get the actual project written though, and wanting to just make your way through it makes so much sense!! No pressure to answer this, but where do you think the mental block is coming from right now? xxx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

I think you are doing really well with your dissertation. When we last spoke, you had conquered your data analysis! That is a really incredible stage to be at.

When I have writer’s block, I like to do two things. The first is to take a break from it. Often, as soon as I have stepped away from it and gone and done something else, ideas have started to flood in my brain. Then it is a rush back to the desk to get my ideas written down!

The second thing I like to do if this doesn’t help is to set myself a timer. With this timer, no matter how draft the writing may be, I like to get text onto paper. It is often easier to edit text than it is to write text for the first time. This is especially the case when our minds go “nah, I don’t want to function”.

Goals are indeed goals. Goals are things to aim to work towards but they can always be moved. It is important to be flexible with yourself. What have you already achieved? I know you would have had to do a lot already to be at the data analysis stage.

Is there a particular thing you are struggling with in your dissertation? If so, could you reach out for support? Hopefully, we’ll be able to help you. There’s also your dissertation supervisor and Student Minds who can help. You might also like to skip the thing you are struggling with at the moment and go onto a different section of your dissertation. You can always come back to the section you are finding more challenging near the end.

@Dandelion, it sounds like we are feeling very similar! I’m also at the dissertation stage. Dissertations are indeed very challenging. They can also be draining. They are big and they try to scare us away but we are bigger and can conquer them. We just need to approach them one step at a time and one day at a time. What is your dissertation about?

We have all got this despite the hurdles it may try to provide! We can step over them and graduate :3

I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    My dissertation is on cardiovascular disease @Laura_tigger82
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    That sounds very interesting and useful indeed! @Dandelion :3