Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety experience

gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
Hey everyone. I've struggled with my anxiety for the past few years. At my worst - i could barely leave the house and would calculate how long it would take me to do daily errands. For example, needing to post a parcel at the post office. i would mentally calculate how long it would take me to walk to the post office, how long i could possibly be in the post office and then how long the walk back home would take me. Eventually convince myself to leave the house, so ... coat on, shoes on. and then i would look in the mirror and not be able to leave the house. It was such a dark and frustrating time for me as i was suffering with low self esteem.

Along this journey, i have learnt some tricks that help me deal with my anxiety and thought id share my experience and tips i've learnt for anyone else struggling.

1. MAIN CHARACTER ENERGY

Sometimes life can be so serious - soemtimes too serious. To eliminate that doom and gloom but i used to sometimes pretend that my life is a game, just to take the seriousness of everything away. I am the main character in my favourite show called MY LIFE. and once, im in this mode that its a game, if i make a mistake i can TRY AGAIN this immensely helped me. it did alleviate a lot of anxiety, fear pent up inside of me. and its just a fun way to release negative thoughts

2. SHARING MY THOUGHTS

It can be an extremely isolating experience so speaking about it with friends and family did help and took the pressure off me having to 'pretend' like everything is fine when in my mind i was freaking out

3. SPEAKING TO GP

GP have access to a wealth of resources such as counselling, useful websites. Everyone has different needs but i just think discussing with GP is important.

If anyone has any anxiety experiences or tips/tricks which have helped them please feel free to share :) i'm interested to know and learn :) lots of love

Comments

• Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Thank you so much for sharing these tips and opening up about your own experience too @gia9720 <3
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @gia9720

I agree with @Aife. A big thank you for sharing your own experiences and tips indeed! Other things I would add include writing how you feel if you don't yet feel comfortable with talking to others about how you feel, identifying your triggers and challenging them if appropriate, or strategies for reducing the anxiety and doing at least one thing you enjoy every day <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hi @gia9720

This is such a wonderful thing to post, thank you for all these wonderful tips! I think these can be really beneficial and help a lot of people!

Also, thank you so much for opening up to us and discussing what's helped you! I've also found that doing breathing exercises to be really helpful. It took me a while to take to them because I just didn't think I had the patience for it! The 16 breathe meditation is particularly helpful. You breathe in for 4, hold for 4, breathe out for 4, and hold again for 4, this has been incredibly helpful for me during anxiety attacks.

Sending you so much love <3
  • Options
    MaligirlMaligirl Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi @gia9720 Thank you for sharing your experiences and tips for what has helped you, I particularly like the making of your life into a game to make it easier to manage anxious days!! I found keeping a diary really helped me every morning I write down how I slept and how I feel starting off the day, then on an evening I jot down how I felt my day went and if there was anything that happened that caused a period of anxiety and what I did to calm myself down. I also find that if I am having a "bad" day I let my family know that I am feeling a bit anxious a little grumpy so take me with a pinch of salt and that I may become emotional over what they may consider to be nothing. Since doing this I feel that my relationships with family members have gotten better threw communication and them paying a little more attention to what is said and done around me when I am feeling a bit down and anxious!
    Sending Love!! <3
  • Options
    Hi @Maligirl

Thanks for also sharing your wonderful tips with us. Telling others how we feel if we feel comfortable with that and keeping a diary sounds like great ideas!

We all know sleep can affect our mood. I believe a lack of sleep can turn me into the grinch =) I am really glad to hear telling others how you feel has helped your relationships too <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Thank you for sharing your tips @gia9720 ! The Main Character tip is very unique, I haven't heard of it before but it sounds like it could be really effective! <3
  • Options
    @daisyella12 it works every time for me!! Like im a SIMS character or something lol
  • Options
    Ha, this made me chuckle, thanks @gia9720. Also thanks for being super supportive within our community already!

@daisyella12 how are you currently feeling? <3
  • Options
    @gia9720 Haha I love it!

@Laura_tigger82 I'm feeling good, looking forward to Christmas :) how are you feeling? <3
  • Options
    Hey @daisyella12

I am really glad to hear you are feeling good and looking forward to Christmas!

Is there anything, in particular, you are looking forward to about Christmas?

I am also good and looking forward to Christmas. Thank you for asking :)
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82 I go to watch the panto every Christmas Eve with my family so I'm looking forward to that. I'm also spending my first Christmas with my partners family this year and then back to my family's for Boxing Day. It will be nice to see everyone over the few days :) although I am slightly worried about the whole covid situation at the moment, I just don't want it to ruin it for us :s

What are you looking forward to?
  • Options
    Hi @daisyella12

Aww, they sound like great plans. Do you know what the panto is this year? :)

I hope you have a great Christmas weekend with both of your families! <3

It is understandable that you are feeling worried. I think following the precautions is all you can do really! :)

I am looking forward to spending time with my family, watching television, eating too much and sleeping! <3
  • Options
    UPDATE ON ANXIETY TIPS IVE FOUND OUT IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED TO KNOW

** CREDIT TO SELFCAREVISUALS ON INSTAGRAM ** - An account with over 200k followers dedicated to spreading daily positivity reminders which i love

x254483x0o71.jpg
    z5nmaba69cnj.jpg
    i3t5xu9godvj.jpg
    wxgwjwfzo9k7.jpg
    q8962u2feyj7.jpg
    yvugqein9uob.jpg
  • Options
    This is amazing! Really interesting. Thanks for sharing with us @gia9720 :3
  • Options
    No worries x
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I always find the links between biology and the mind really interesting @gia9720 !

Yes, this does include neuroscience once I managed to get my head around it :3
  • Options
    Neuroscience is mind boggling to me still 😂😂😂 interesting tho . Neuropsychology was one of the hardest modules on my course imo
  • Options
    La_LaLa_La Posts: 156 Helping Hand
    edited December 2021
    @gia9720 Thank you this is really helpful! Especially the bit about feeling doom and gloom, I often get overwhelmed by the negative thinking that comes with anxiety. It's really awesome that you are sharing your tips and advice with others.

I wish you a brilliant winter break.

My personal tips for dealing with anxiety are:
    - mindfulness (watching guided journeys on youtube, listening to the sea waves music, binaural noises, meditation). just doing that whenever i have time has been very helpful.

- being honest about it. when things get bad i realize that not suffering in silence helps a lot.
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • Options
    Oh, it is tricky indeed @gia9720 but so fascinating too!

Thanks for sharing your tips with us too @La_La :)

Really helpful and kind! <3

And indeed no one is alone :3
  • Options
    @La_La thanks for sharing your personal tips! 😊will try some out x