Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please help, I don't know what to do

cshippocshippo Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi I'm charlotte and I'm 22, I've got epilepsy, I've had it since I was 14 and because of the epilepsy it got me depressed, anxiety problems, lost all my friends. So now I live with my parents and I've been too scared to leave the house alone because my seizures, I only go out with my parents. I've been like this for almost 3 years I don't want to be like this anymore, I wanted to get out this year I had a friend that was going to help but he got a girlfriend so he stopped talking to me. So I now have nobody, and if I go out I don't know how to make friends, I want to go out make friends, get in a relationship but I don't know  how too. I could really do with some advice please.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hey there, I can't offer much advice but I wanted to say that I'm always here if you need a chat. 

Have you seen that we have group chats which may be good for you to make some friends on here? 

Also have you thought of seeing a counsellor about your anxiety and maybe helping you get out the house? 

Epilepsy absolutely sucks - I don't have seizures but I get blackouts for an unknown reason so I understand the fear of not knowing when it could happen. 

Always here <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @cshippo welcome to The Mix, it's lovely to have you here! 

It sounds like you've been struggling a bit because of your epilepsy and I'm sorry to hear that! No one deserves to feel isolated or lonely, I'm so glad you have decided to reach out! I really do think you'll find a lot of people to connect with here about mental health difficulties, sometimes it's helpful just to know that someone understands. 

<3
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    SciFi_456SciFi_456 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    edited December 2020
    Hi @cshippo and welcome to the mix!

I'm really sorry to hear this ☹️. I've never had epilepsy so I cannot relate there but having no friends is a cruel thing, so I just want you to know that you have friends here to talk to.

If you ever want to talk, I'm here.

-Liam ❤️

Post edited by SciFi_456 on
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hey @cshippo it’s great having you here so a big welcome <3 

Your situation sounds really difficult and I’m sorry to hear about it. I have to echo everything the others have said, as someone who also doesn’t go out much and doesn’t have many offline friends. Social media has its place in these types of situations, I don’t know what I’d do without a lot of the people I’ve met online. But I agree that being yourself if the best way to make friends on and offline.

Getting help for the anxieties is scary, I understand that but I’m a few months down the line now after seeking support and I’m glad I did it. Taking that first step is the hardest bit but we’ll all be right here with you along the way <3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @cshippo I am sorry that you are going through that. I understand why you are feeling like this and please remember that your feelings are valid. If you go out with your parents, that is completely fine because that is helpful for you but I think it may be helpful to go out by yourself in steps. Do you have a back garden? If you do, you can try going outside by yourself, where there are no other people and once you have mastered that, try going outside. I understand that you want to make friends but remember that that is not the only thing you should concentrate. Remember your values. Take care.
  • Options
    RuhRuh Posts: 48 Boards Initiate
    Hi I would say small steps, do u still get seizures regularly? And what do u like doing? I would say start off with getting in touch with old friends or colleagues and go out to watch a movie or a meal or anything simple, build ur confidence up slowly