Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

rant - MH Tiktok accounts

SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
edited April 2021 in General Chat
Sorry to those this may cause offence. It’s my honest opinion.

A lot of them just glamorise mental health.

Lots of dark humour and usually that’s okay - people use dark humour to cope. But on tiktok everyone makes the same “dark joke” like it is no longer original and not your idea - it’s a trend now. Like do you think we all really be laughing after seeing the same thing for the hundredth time. No. It’s just copied. Like what’s the point. The way they all just copy each other makes it just look like mental health is cool and a trend like let’s all glamourise this.
Like no harm is using dark humour for away to cope with things but it’s not dark humour on tiktok it’s a trend. Like it’s actually embarrassing as someone who struggles with mental health to watch.
They use the exact Same sound to make the exact same joke like that is so funny 😐😐😐😐.

A lot of the jokes are about being in a mental health hospital which I feel like just is making people glamourise the wards when it’s not glamorous at all and it feel like it becomes a competition like people just want to be on a ward to make tiktoks about it

Like I’m for all those that use social media to raise awareness and update people on their struggles and post about their mental health but ffs some of these accounts are just embarrassing and it’s most of them

I would like to know anyone’s opinion on this as this is really frustrating me atm but I can’t help but watch them and feel like it’s damaging to my mental health.
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• Options
    The ones that annoy me the most is the ones that add Skins sound. And trying to be effy from skins or authentic.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I hear what you're saying @Shaunie. Sometimes it can feel like people are romanticising or even worse making a joke out of mental health needs. I know that this can be because some people can be mean and equally it can also be because people are trying to use coping mechanisms themselves - as you say dark humour is a go to for a lot of people!

Regardless of the intent behind people's tik toks, I know that it can leave people feeling like mental health needs are one big joke, when we know they are not in the slightest. For me, a lot of the content I see does feel like people trying to seek support/acknowledge that they are struggling too. I think some people are not 100% able to articulate their experiences with their mental health and it can come out in the form of a joke - I certainly know I did this a lot when I was younger (although it probably was not the healthiest approach).

It sounds like you care a lot about mental health and people not misrepresenting those who are struggling, which shows how compassionate of a person you are. Because of this it's understandable to question what people really 'mean' when they make these kinds of tik toks. I'm wondering what bothers you the most about the Skins ones? (it's more than okay if you do not feel comfortable talking more though!)

I think this is a really important topic that you've brought up Shaunie <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Yeah I mean I’m not saying people who post those things don’t have mental health problems I mean they obviously do but it’s not healthy and makes it look like one big competition of who’s worse and try their best to make it more valid. They add extra detail just so people are like oh yeah it’s this bad

PTW
    The skins ones annoy me because they’re like oh look at me. I’m main character vibes lol. And because I think the whole show slightly romanticised it. With casie and effy. “I didn’t eat for free days just so I could be lovely” I mean even at that point I was like oh should I not eat. And people post that audio which definitely romanising it

Or people post of video of them in the back of a police car. It’s like I’ve been in the back of a police car lot of times not once do I feel like sharing that with the whole world. I’m all for saying how you feel but Some content like that need to be a bit more private and should be for you and your close ones not any stranger on the internet. Like you can say it but why film it with some music added like it’s a music video

I feel like tiktok is still fairly new. I think in a few years time most content on it will be embarrassing loland will think why did we ever do that lol.

There is an obvious divide between those who romantise it and those who don’t
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    haha no no I totally get what you're saying @Shaunie ! It can start to feel like we are not actually processing our mental health needs and instead it's only a surface level joke, which as you say can be awesome, but equally there are young and vulnerable people out there on Tiktok and other apps who might be getting their info from these kinds of vids which could be dangerous. It's such a complex convo I suppose! I guess it depends on each person's motivations as well as the impact their vids have on others?

That must have been such a draining time for you, being influenced by TV/media in that way makes a lot of sense but to see people romanticising it now must be very frustrating!

I'm curious if you'd share some more about what makes 'privacy' important to you (in the context of Tiktok ofc) ? (again do feel free to ignore this q) <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.