Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Swimming

SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone swim (I mean probably not at the moment cause of covid) but have sudden urge to go swimming but yeah can’t atm. But like when it opens I’m thinking of starting lessons. I can’t actually swim but when I was younger I used to love trying to and I think it’s something that could really help my mental health. Bit scared about my family as they say I can’t exercise cause of ED and that I’m skinny enough but I guess they don’t control me.

I wouldn’t have anyone to go with. Is it weird to go by self?

I feel like for first time In a while I have something to look forward to
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Shaunie,

I used to swim every week! I did it for my mental health too and it helped me a tonne. Felt like a lovely escapism - proper 'me time' - and the water was super relaxing. A great time to check in with yourself, so I think this is a lovely idea!

Its not weird to go by yourself at all. I did, and honestly most people that were also in the pool were alone too. Sometimes there were families, but at my pool they had different pool hours (e.g open to all, open to adults, open to females only) so I tried to go to the quieter slots :smile:
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    I love swimming - although have to make sure I'm keeping up with my antihistamines otherwise my skin will break out in hives.

I'm not sure where you live and if you're in an area far away from the coast it won't be ideal but you can swim in the sea or nearby lakes providing it's not prohibited.

Obviously bear in mind that it's freezing rn so probably not ideal but we went to the beach and swimming in the sea during lockdown at the summer - when we were allowed to travel ahah.

We used to go swimming at our gym, I'm a big fan tbh, I love swimming to the bottom and swimming along the pool floor.
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Swimming is great, I find it helps me to relax when I go.

It’s not weird to go by yourself at all, I used to go to the adult sessions and most of the people there were by themselves, the family sessions tend to be a lot busier :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    Swimming is really good, a fab way to have some down time, I use to love it years ago, sometimes I got to scared to go alone but I went and every time I wondered what I was so afraid of lol

If you're happy with going that's all that matters :)
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,787 Master Poster
    I used to do swimming but I quit when I was 12.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Swimming is great - you can swim however you like (to relax, to work out etc), it's age-inclusive (some start learning at 5, some keep using to exercise at 80!), and it's therapeutic for many. Some people say that cold water swimming in particular helps them with mental wellbeing. Absolutely fine to go alone, or with others :) Let us know how you find it!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.