Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

People joking about suicide and Mental issues- *possible TW

Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :)EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
edited November 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by Laine on

Comments

• Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @LorryTruck

You don't come across as rude. Your frustrations are completely natural and I have also heard a lot of people use those words. I suppose it's a difficult situation because ultimately those people just aren't thinking how those words will be received by some of the people around them. 

As much as those words may come across as offensive, and they seem very personal, they are not intended to hurt. Instead, speaking honestly those words are usually said from a position of ignorance. And there isn't really any reasoning with ignorance unfortunately. 

I know this maybe isn't that helpful of a response, but have you read/listened/watched anything to do with stoicism? This short video on stoicism may explain a bit about what I mean :)  

Anyway, let me know if this is not what you were meaning or if you have different views. It's a reality that a lot of us have to deal with so this thread will hopefully create some interesting discussion <3
  • Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hey @LorryTruck

This sounds really tricky and you don't come across as rude at all! 

You mentioned your friend had struggled in the past and that understandably it was triggering for you. It's hard because they are your friend so you want to help them right! But sometimes we need to protect ourselves first. When I'm speaking to friends about topics that might be triggering I let them know if I'm in the right mindset to be able to help them, and I ask them the same. Something like this:
    I want to talk about something that might be triggering, just wanted to check you are in an okay place to listen
    And it's okay to say to someone that what they are talking about is triggering, those sound like pretty deep topics so might trigger others in the room too! 

I hope that helps a little <3
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here