Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anxiety

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
This time last year was really shit for me, it was when my anxiety first started getting bad. I really struggled to even leave the house. I wasn’t eating or sleeping properly and was sick every time I tried to go to work. I was having panic attacks every single day. Luckily after speaking to my GP and starting medication it started to get better. From about April to now it’s been pretty good.

A couple of weeks ago I started to have panic attacks more frequently again. It’s starting to affect me at work again. I’ve just started a new job and I don’t want it to affect me there. I really don’t know what to do about it. I don’t want it to get that bad again. I know I’m probably making it worse for myself by convincing myself it’s going to get that bad, but I don’t know what to do to stop it. 
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Do you think this could be a seasonal mental health issue? 

I know seasonal depression is a real thing. 

Do you have a trigger that you're aware of? Is there anything that can help reduce your panic attacks? 

Try mindfulness and meditation and get into a routine :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Anch0r33 thanks for taking the time to reply. I don’t really know what it is tbh. And I never really know what makes me have a panic attack which makes it harder cause I don’t know what I can do to stop it. I’ve given mindfulness a try in the past but didn’t really find it worked for me. I might give it another go though, I know a lot of people find it helpful so it’s probably worth another shot. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    I can't really comment on mindfulness and meditation because it hasn't worked for me either. 

Breathing exercises may be more beneficial to you tbh but idk what you've tried. 

Definitely get yourself a routine and control what you can control <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Sometimes it's just helpful to talk to someone. If you ever want a more private chat you're welcome to message me <3
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    hey @Dandelion

just wanted to say you have done really well to notice and acknowledge that things are getting difficult again and have decided to reach out :heart:

I think @Anch0r33 has shared some lovely advice so I'd like to echo what they've said for sure. You mentioned that speaking to your GP and starting medication has helped before. Is this something that you think you'd feel comfortable doing again now? X
    Thanks @Anch0r33, I really appreciate that x

thanks @coc0mac, I was considering speaking to my GP again. I’ve changed gp surgery recently, my old gp was amazing and spoke to me at least once a month to check I was alright. My new gp doesn’t really seem to care as much but maybe I should speak to them 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited October 2020
    Hey dandelion, 

I really understand how horrible anxiety and panic attacks are it’s something I’ve been through myself. It’s definitely worth speaking to your GP it’s often that when you go to a new one it’s hard at first to build up that same trust you had with your old one, but you never know how they’ll be until you try. They might recommend increasing/altering your medication and/or refer you for counselling of some description. 

Have you ever had any sort of counselling in the past?

I really do hope you get this sorted as soon as possible it really is horrible and it’s a constant thing and I find I almost become anxious about being anxious which doesn’t help.

Take care <3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Hey @Dandelion

That's great that you had such a lovely GP before. If you did decide to speak to your new GP again, perhaps you could share some fo the things that you liked about your previous GP to see if they'd be able to take on that approach too? They should want to help you in whichever way works best for you :smile::heart:
    I had another really bad day today so I’ve decided I need to call my GP. I just don’t know when because I work the time the GP is open
    @Dandelion if you need a chat or anything you're always welcome to message me - I'm not a Dr but I'm always here to help :) 
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    I hope that the call goes well when you are able to - you really do deserve support! And if you'd like any support in the meantime please always remember that we are right here :heart:
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jurlew4111jurlew4111 Posts: 32 Boards Initiate
    Hello @Dandelion, I want to also say that I am here for you as well. I am planning on purchasing a "Happy Lamp" type thing, because I am worried that my depression and anxiety will get worse in the winter. I was wondering if that might also be something that could help you? I also find it very useful to listen to music that is calming or positive. I also really love your profile pic. It is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen :blush: 

You've got this! I believe in you :) And I believe we will find things that help us in hard and anxious times.  :)
    I just want you to know that I honor what you’re going through right now. I am here for you.
    Hello @Dandelion, I want to also say that I am here for you as well. I am planning on purchasing a "Happy Lamp" type thing, because I am worried that my depression and anxiety will get worse in the winter. I was wondering if that might also be something that could help you? I also find it very useful to listen to music that is calming or positive. I also really love your profile pic. It is one of the most adorable things I have ever seen :blush: 

You've got this! I believe in you :) And I believe we will find things that help us in hard and anxious times.  :)
    Thanks@jurlew4111 a happy lamp sounds like a good idea, I might look into that. I hope you find it helpful if you do decide to get one x