Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pointless Fact Thread

ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Posts: 242 Trailblazer
If you know ANY random trivia that would be deemed 'useless' or really specific, pop it in here! You never know, could be saving somebodies life ;)

I will start;

- Humans used to dream in black and white, however with the introduction of colour TV and film in the late 1960s, Humans started to interpret these brain messages in vivid colour.
"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    “Stewardesses” is the longest English word which you can type on a keyboard with only your left hand.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ThatFelixGuyThatFelixGuy Posts: 242 Trailblazer
    There is over 200 discovered fruits in the Amazon Rainforest not in any markets due to either rarity, worth, or preservation.
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves." - Bruce Lee
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hippos can run at up to 30mph 
    got that one from a McDonald’s happy meal and have never forgotten ...!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Lucy307 said:
    Hippos can run at up to 30mph 
    got that one from a McDonald’s happy meal and have never forgotten ...!
    That is such a cool fact tho!
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    In Japan, communal baths, swimming pools, and spas will actively turn away people with tattoos. This is due to association of the Yakuza, who all wear a back tattoo and shoulder sleeves as uniform.
    Contrary to common belief, a bee does not die when it loses it's sting. It dies because of the ruptures creates when it's serrated, zig-zag like appendix connected to the sting tear out all of it's organs. A bee can live for at most, 5 minutes before dying due to lack of organs.

Bit morbid, but still fits the bill!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The T. rex existed closer in history to humans than it did to the Stegosaurus.
    Weekender Offender 
    If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds exactly like the pac-man sound effect.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive said:
    If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds exactly like the pac-man sound effect.
    Why...did I...just try that? Lmao!
    The colour pink was originally used to identify boys when they were born, however somewhere down the line someone used a pink blanket instead of a yellow for a girl, and the trend slowly grew. Boys were given blue blankets instead, since blue was the colour of many militia and was considered 'masculine' for a while.
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    The longest living cat on record according to the Guinness Book belongs to the late Creme Puff of Austin, Texas who lived to the ripe old age of 38 years and 3 days!

A cat’s cerebral cortex contains about twice as many neurons as that of dogs. Cats have 300 million neurons, whereas dogs have about 160 million. See, cats rule, dogs drool!

Cats only use their meows to talk to humans, not each other. The only time they meow to communicate with other felines is when they are kittens to signal to their mother.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Rhubarb is naturally toxic to humans. It must be prepped and cleaned before being shipped out to Supermarkets.
    Rhubarb is naturally toxic to humans. It must be prepped and cleaned before being shipped out to Supermarkets.
    Only the leaves are naturally toxic. You can eat the stalks without any prep.
    Weekender Offender 
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    They are actually really interesting. I love how they covered up the fact that the night fighters had radar by saying that they ate carrots to be able to see in the dark. Carrots actually contain vitamin A which can help with eyesight so it is only half a lie that they told.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous