Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Growing up in a Welsh household

AwkwardHipster_5AwkwardHipster_5 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I can speak basic welsh but not a lot of welsh. My parents want me to explore the language a bit more but I don't believe that I really need it. All we do is sing happy birthday in welsh and converse occasionally in welsh. It isn't like we speak it ALL the time. It is rare and I mean RARE. Grrrr... 

I love languages but want to explore other languages. 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hey @AwkwardHipster_5 :smile:

That sounds totally understandable to me. Have you expressed this to your parents at all - that you're keen to explore other languages perhaps more than you'd like to explore welsh? 
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    How come your parents want you to explore the Welsh language a bit more?

I live in Wales but do not speak Welsh. I probably know happy birthday in Welsh but apart from that....nope. Actually, where I live, hardly anyone speaks Welsh. Though I have noticed that announcements at train stations and on letters/emails in Welsh actually come before the English version these days. I guess it's a handy thing to know, and maybe if you are from a Welsh background that is proud to be Welsh, it can be nice learning the language and appreciating the Welsh culture that way. But you can't be forced to learn it. I agree with @coc0mac in letting your parents know how you feel :) 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AwkwardHipster_5AwkwardHipster_5 Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Maisy said:
    How come your parents want you to explore the Welsh language a bit more?

I live in Wales but do not speak Welsh. I probably know happy birthday in Welsh but apart from that....nope. Actually, where I live, hardly anyone speaks Welsh. Though I have noticed that announcements at train stations and on letters/emails in Welsh actually come before the English version these days. I guess it's a handy thing to know, and maybe if you are from a Welsh background that is proud to be Welsh, it can be nice learning the language and appreciating the Welsh culture that way. But you can't be forced to learn it. I agree with @coc0mac in letting your parents know how you feel :) 
    My family are very proud to be welsh and a lot of my realities can speak fluent welsh. Most of my family went to welsh speaking schools when they were younger. My parents want me to be at the same level.