Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What are your best self care tips?

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
Hi Everyone, 

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread sharing our favourite self care tips - things that we know we can turn to that will make us feel a little better, a little calmer etc. Creating like a big tool kit of self care tips :smile:

I'll start the thread off with a few simple things that I enjoy which include 

• Music - headphones in, zone out from the world, feel all the emotions and maybe even end with a dance party for one haha!
  • Exercise - especially good for when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it helps me to focus on just one thing (the workout) just to settle my mind for a moment 
  • Baking 

Tagged:

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    A pick me up film! Something cheerful and easy to watch, is a good form of self care. Can sit back and relax 
  • pandalover200pandalover200 Deactivated Posts: 349 The Mix Regular
    This is such a good idea as I need to do more self care at the moment as my depression is very new and hard to deal with  and I’m so lonely 
    what helps me is reading , Listening to the radio , watching tv and  a nice warm relaxing bath 
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I love watching TV or doing something crafty so like knitting or making friendship bracelets and stuff like that 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • joyajoya Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    heyaaa,,, hmm,, i like to write music or a poem, maybe a letter; draw or paint something its useful for me too; but something that really helps me when im going to a bad mood its listen to system of a down, think about the social system and try to solve the system problems with hypothetical scenes hahah i have a lot of tricks that i use for self-care and to help me when im in a bad mood ^^ if anyone needs some new ideas, im here 
    everything always goes ^^
    joya said:
    heyaaa,,, hmm,, i like to write music or a poem, that maybe a letter; draw or paint something its useful for me too; but something that really helps me when im going to a bad mood its listen to system of a down, think about the social system and try to solve the system problems with hypothetical scenes hahah i have a lot of tricks that i use for self-care and to help me when im in a bad mood ^^ if anyone needs some new ideas, im here 
    Hey I could do with some tips and new ideas I need to do more self care I’m struggling again today 
    edited July 2020
    Hey I could do with some tips and new ideas I need to do more self care I’m struggling again today 
    hi love, what do you like most to do?

something that makes me more closer to myself and made me more happy and calm it is: take a long shower, for next its make a hot chamomile tea and watch a calm and reflective movie (girl, interrupted its my favorite); others things that help its just write down the bad feelings or single words on paper. 
    joya said:
    hi love, what do you like most to do?

something that makes me more closer to myself and made me more happy and calm it is: take a long shower, for next its make a hot chamomile tea and watch a calm and reflective movie (girl, interrupted its my favorite); others things that help its just write down the bad feelings or single words on paper. 
    Going for  walks warm baths reading watching tv and listening  to the radio 
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Cleaning my room weirdly helps me when I'm feeling overwhelmed, when it's clean it just feels so refreshing and one less thing to stress about
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    edited July 2020
    I've started taking a bath before bedtime with concoctions of my own making: my favourite so far is milk, honey, lavender essential oil and almond oil. Mixing everything together is super hypnotic and relaxing! 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I am absolutely loving these tips, definitely want to try some of these out myself. Those bath mixes sound incredible @chubbydumpling, such a good idea! 
    edited July 2020
    today i find out a new thing that help me to calm down: sew clothes. if theres a hole, maybe its too big or to short, theres no need to worry, i'll try to fix with some needles and threads hahah it needs concentration and focus, that helps to take our heads from the problems and focus on another things :)
    Ive discovered going outside in the garden during evening time and just sitting quietly is really relaxing. 
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    I love pampering myself even when I have no special plans :lol:

I do my nails, hair etc. put on a face mask... I love self-care! :lol:

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I’ve been actually really enjoying showers lately - if found having some nice products to use really help spur me on to have a shower :) 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Looooving these suggestions so so much! 
  • EGMEGM Posts: 282 The Mix Regular
    I pray and read my Bible. I find it really useful to turn to God who is above it all, always loves me and never changes.
    Also walks in nature, staring at the night sky, being creative and making things (painting, songwriting, etc) and dancing
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Love this thread - getting lots of ideas!!

My self care is mainly laughter - I find funny dog videos on YouTube and can just get lost in giggling along 😁
    I also have home ‘spa days’ where I wash my hair and paint my nails while listening to a crime podcast. 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Right @Lucy307, I am loving how many ideas have been shared! 

Laughter is the best self care! And your spa days sound dreamy :smile:
    Another good self care is..

Skin care routine. I have 2 different ones, for morning and night and the routine in the night helps me wash the day off my face and feel fresh again. 
    I honestly recommend a skin care routine. 
  • AnneFrypanAnneFrypan Posts: 335 The Mix Regular
    This is a great feed to do! For my self-care, it would be to run a nice warm bath with a bubble bath as that is very relaxing. While in that I like to watch my fave YouTubers or listen to my fave songs. If I am feeling like an extra I will use a bath bomb. 
  • MilsyRoseMilsyRose Posts: 198 Trailblazer
    This is a great feed to do! For my self-care, it would be to run a nice warm bath with a bubble bath as that is very relaxing. While in that I like to watch my fave YouTubers or listen to my fave songs. If I am feeling like an extra I will use a bath bomb. 
    Oo, sounds good! x
    The things that I enjoy doing when I am not doing to great is to listen to music, watch something or speak to my friends. I do need more self-care tips though! 
    They sound like great techniques @MilsyRose - and as you say you'd like some more, hopefully you can try a few from this thread! :heart:
    coc0mac said:
    They sound like great techniques @MilsyRose - and as you say you'd like some more, hopefully you can try a few from this thread! :heart:
    Yes, hopefully! I'm sure some will come in handy sometime. :)
    Going to a safe space. Weather it's a room in your house, your friends, the beach.. etc
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    I recently went to the beach for the first time in years last weekend! Standing next to the sea, breathing in the sea air and picking out shells was super relaxing. 
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    Doing a lot of art helps. Though having a right mindset helps for art too lol. Just simple stuffs though. I like sculpting and that as well as drawing. And taking exercise
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    To sit and do nothing. Like literally nothing. Just let thought come and go
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Loving all of these ideas so much!! The beach is my happy place @chubbydumpling so totally get where you're coming from :smile:
  • DurhamjaideDurhamjaide Posts: 1,225 Wise Owl
    Have a cuppa and a treat 
    phone a friend 
    get your nails done 
    go shopping 
    play with a dog
    have a bath 
    get your hair done 
    Voulenteer
    go to a coffee shop
    Go for a walk