Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Doing a CV for Work Experience

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
Earlier in the week I discovered that the students who are currently in year 9 (basically the year group that I am in) have to do a CV over the summer holidays to help find a Work Experience placement for next year. 

At my school, all students in Year 10 have to complete a Work Experience placement for 2 weeks instead of going to school. I have some ideas in mind of what I want to do for Work Experience but I don't know which ones would be suitable either due to insurance, safeguarding or health and safety. 

As you can tell by the title, I need to do a CV to help me find a placement. What should someone my age put on a CV for work experience? I wouldn't have had any jobs (well apart from volunteering) and I wouldn't have any grades or qualifications to put on it.

A CV for a 14 year old (well 15 when it comes to doing the placement) would be different to an adult doing it who would more than likely have past experience of employment and have GCSE and A-Level grades. 

I have tried to look at CV examples and Kudos before but it is still really confusing. 

"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Comments

• pandalover200pandalover200 Deactivated Posts: 349 The Mix Regular
    Kasa2103 said:
    Earlier in the week I discovered that the students who are currently in year 9 (basically the year group that I am in) have to do a CV over the summer holidays to help find a Work Experience placement for next year. 

At my school, all students in Year 10 have to complete a Work Experience placement for 2 weeks instead of going to school. I have some ideas in mind of what I want to do for Work Experience but I don't know which ones would be suitable either due to insurance, safeguarding or health and safety. 

As you can tell by the title, I need to do a CV to help me find a placement. What should someone my age put on a CV for work experience? I wouldn't have had any jobs (well apart from volunteering) and I wouldn't have any grades or qualifications to put on it.

A CV for a 14 year old (well 15 when it comes to doing the placement) would be different to an adult doing it who would more than likely have past experience of employment and have GCSE and A-Level grades. 

I have tried to look at CV examples and Kudos before but it is still really confusing. 

Aww bless you you can put your volunteering on there I am trying to do mine at moment after  guidance that mine needs spacing and underline and I only have  volunteering
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    edited July 2020
    Thank you. Not really 100% sure what ideas are actually going to likely be approved by my school. And before anyone says anything, no I cannot work with my parents or siblings. The environments are too dangerous (and one of my brothers works in a pub.) And their jobs aren't even anything related to what I want to do in the future. Not even 1% relevant.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You can put volunteering on CVs, places really like it when people have it on them. You could always speak to school before you break for summer and ask for advice. 
    For my work experience CV I put my predicted grades and wrote (predicted) next to them all
    Thank you @GreenTea
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Kasa2103 When you have decided what type of placement you want to do, you can do an online course (lots of free ones on Future Learn, Edx) which is related to that and put that on there :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Thank you so much for the information about online courses that I could put on the CV.
    For experience they only want a CV done as it's a starting point into the world of careers. I'd still suggest asking school about it because a lot schools expect different and say different as to what to put on CV
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    When I was that age my CV basically just included like a personal profile, in which I summarised some skills that I had such as time management, organisation etc. and some examples of times I’ve shown them, mostly from attendance at school, handing in homework etc. Then I just made a table summarising the volunteering I had done and what skills I though I had got from doing them 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Mine was completely different. Was a short personal statement, 
    Then a list of skills I have
    Then my grades (predicted)
    And any work/ volunteering
    And like the format was so alone the margin was comments about us from teachers etc
  • SammySammy Posts: 3 Newbie
    I tried many different sites to build mine but the best site I used was Indeed cv builder as that will also make it look nice and build template 
    The past can't hurt you anymore, Unless you let it 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I'd put your subjects and grades, any work/volunteering, any hobbies/clubs you're a part of, any skills (music, sport, arts, dance etc), and any courses that you've done. It's not too different from a normal CV, except that you won't have proper placements, qualifications etc. Hope it goes well!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.