Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the Month - June!

AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
edited July 2020 in General Chat
Hey everyone! :)

Another month, another POTM! Huge amounts of support and positivity on the forum this month in light of the situation, which is great to see. Thanks all for being such an awesome community, helping one another out during tough times is one of the best things about The Mix! So, time to vote for your favourite Post of the Month!

What is Post of the Month?

For those of you who aren't familiar with Post of the Month, each month you can nominate threads and replies you've seen on the boards. We then put up a poll and the reply with the most votes wins Post of the Month.

You can nominate a post by flagging it, selecting Report, and then choosing 'Post of the Month nomination' as the reason. It can really make someone's day to know that their comment was so appreciated that they're considered for this, so if you see a post that was particularly helpful, inspiring, moving etc., be sure to nominate it and spread that love around! <3

Before we share the nominations for this vote, we again want to acknowledge how brave each and every one of you is for reaching out for support. This takes so much courage and we're so proud of you all - this place wouldn't be the same with you <3

The Nominees!

Congrats to @independent_ , @Salix_alba_2019 , @GreenTea . @Eleanor@JayJ and @Mike for being nominated this month! 

1. @independent_    - On Coping with Low Periods

Hi @Kasa2103,

What you’re going through sounds really awful I’m sorry to hear you aren’t doing ok at the moment. I think a lot of the time it feels easier to lie when someone asks if you’re ok than to explain your situation to them and be open with them, I know how you feel there totally. But honestly it’s ok to admit you’re not ok and is great you’re reaching out here.

Have you any support outside of here in your life? Aside from what you told her about your friend, does your mum know anything about what you’re going through with your mental health? Or someone at school? I can appreciate fully it’s really hard to reach out for support, I’m in a similar position. But I suppose it’s always good to have someone you feel able to talk to if there’s someone in you’re life you trust to that extent.

Sending you big hugs, we’re always here :heart: 

2. @Salix_alba_2019 - Supporting a Friend in Need

I genuinely am worried for you, my stomach is in knots kind of worried 😓 I've never had that reaction to someone I know virtually. Your a part of the family, heck it even feels weird when you're not in SC, I legit do wonder whether you're okay if you've not turned up❤️

I've been really really shitty at giving advice and my empathy has dimmed a bit but it's just a side effect of the medication. It's not something I talk about too much but this thread isn't about me. 

I believe you when you say that you tell us that you've been trying
I belive you when you tell us just how hard things have been for you

You've been dealing with things that aren't going to dissappear over night hun, it's an uphill struggle and you've been doing your absolutely fucking best with the tools you have❤️

You're loved very much here, you're family 💞

3. @GreenTea - General Chat

System said:
Hello all. 

I'm having bit of a rough night (been a rough day in all honesty) 
Just wanted to start a thread for random chit chat as could use the distraction!
Feel free to join in!

What's everyone done today?

Edit: original post by GreenTea

4. @Eleanor - Lifting a Friend Up When They're Feeling Down

Eleanor said:
@GreenTea We support you and we can hear you <3 I want you to know that your voice is being heard and we won't back down until you know just how much you matter. 

You bring so much positive light to The Mix, the threads you create to facilitate conversation and the support you give is so unbelievably important to everyone! I love being able to come on here and have a chat with you because you make it so enjoyable and your such a lovely person. It breaks my heart to know that you are hurting! 

I admire how self-aware you are, reaching out when you need support! It's not an easy thing to do but it's so important and by doing it you give others to confidence to do the same. You know my inbox is always open to you if you need a chat and I will be there to listen <3 

You matter to me and that's enough, I have faith in you and I know you will bounce back from this even if you have to hit a little deeper first. Your strength and your courage will pull you through this, I know it will. 

You deserve to be heard and supported, that is not something that will ever be taken away from you. Negativity and mental illnesses take and take and take so I want to give you back some of your positivity because you deserve it and let you know that you make this community a better place everyday <3 

5. @JayJ - Overcoming Driving Anxiety

JayJ said:
Hi, 

So I don't have anxiety but I have several medical conditions that meant it took me ages to be cleared to drive. And when I finally got in the car, i was a bit of a wreck because even I didnt know if I was safe to drive. Sweating, shaking, muscles clenching up, the works. But after the first few lessons, I started to feel better. The thing about it is definitely take the plunge. 

My biggest advice is to not be afraid to change instructors. Its okay to have one lesson and change because you don't get on well with them. If you have no confidence in your instructor, its hard to develop confidence in yourself and your driving. Definitely have an open dialogue with them about how you're feeling as well because they can then work the best way for you and help you the best they can. 

Driving is very freeing so definitely give it a go! Good luck, you'll be great!!

6. @Mike - Hasan Minhaj on Black Lives Matter

Mike said:
I'm a bit of a sucker for American satire shows, and one of my favourites is The Patriot Act hosted by Hasan Minhaj (former correspondent of The Daily Show). They recently released a YouTube exclusive, talking about the case of George Floyd and the importance of not staying silent. The reason I'm sharing it though is because the video also explored something I didn't expect - racism within the Asian community. 

It was very eye-opening for me. I often forget that division within minority communities is actually quite common, such as bi-erasure and ace-denial within the LGBTQAI+ community. One of those things that reminds me nobody is completely free of the harmful views society can teach us, and that we all need to make an effort to check ourselves.

Curious about what y'all think, and if you have any experience to share around this. :) 

Get voting below! 

~ Azziman <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Post of the Month - June! 12 votes

independent_ - On Coping with Low Periods
8% 1 vote
Salix_alba_2019 - Supporting a Friend in Need
16% 2 votes
GreenTea - General Chat
25% 3 votes
Eleanor - Lifting a Friend Up When They're Feeling Down
41% 5 votes
JayJ - Overcoming Driving Anxiety
0% 0 votes
Mike - Hasan Minhaj on Black Lives Matter
8% 1 vote

Comments

• ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Ah thank you to whoever nominated me! All the entries are amazing! I'm so glad everyone makes this such a great community ❤️
    Alis propriis volat 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited July 2020
    I'll come back when I've had a good think 😂

All worthy winners well done 💖

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Aww, thanks for the nomination, I love how supportive these boards are <3<3<3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Thank you for the nomination!!
    200+ pages since it went up 3 weekends ago!
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Aw thanks guys! Agree there are a lot of worthy noms this month. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    And so we come to the end of another month. @Eleanor congrats on winning the vote, your POTM badge should be on your profile very soon!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Ah thank you to everyone who voted for me ❤️ Everyone had such great posts and I'm grateful to be part of such a great community! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Whey! Congrats @Eleanor. :) Badge should be on your profile.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.