Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I haven't been truly happy in years

EdenEden Posts: 3 Newbie
I'm only 21 and I feel like along the way at some point I stopped feeling happy and like myself. 

I've had so many ups and downs throughout but I can't pinpoint the exact time the problem started. I have days where I wakeup and feel somewhat fine and days where I am just miserable.

I don't know what to do anymore to help, I just want to feel like myself again.

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,618 Legendary Poster
    Hi @Eden, and welcome to the mix!! It's great to have you in this community <3

I actually know exactly how you're feeling here, I feel like it's been years since I've felt "happy", and im only 17. I'm really sorry you're feeling like this too. 

Does anybody know how you're feeling? Do you have anything that helps you to feel at least a little bit better on your worst days?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    EdenEden Posts: 3 Newbie
    @independent_ thank you <3

I've been talking to my parents and some close friends about how I feel, however, on my worst days I just want to be left alone and nothing seems to cheer me up.
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Eden and welcome to the mix. 

I too have days where I wake up feeling down, and there isn’t always a reason. I’ve spoken to quite a lot of people who have this same issue, I honestly think it’s normal albeit unwanted...

I think recognising how you’re feeling is a really good start - if you feel ‘off’ and will be better off recharging alone for a bit then at least you can let people around you know so they don’t make it worse. If nothing seems to cheer you up - that’s ok. I look at it as a wave that you just need to ride - the down as well as the up. But see if you can find a healthy distraction - I come here or might watch something if I want to be distracted? Do you have anything like that that you enjoy? We’re always here if you need.

Don’t know if that helps at all but wanted to say you’re not alone!

Take care
    -Lucy 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    flower2829flower2829 Posts: 1 Just got here
    edited June 2020
    Hi @eden. I Hope your doing well. I am 21 years old my self. The way you have described yourself to how you feel . I have been feeling like that alot recently, But I always try to be positive about things . I try to busy myself for example  I clean my room, sit in the backgarden or like go for a walk . I know it's really hard  but try to take small steps each day. For me exercise daily has really improved my mood and to how I feel about my self and Eating healthy is so important so you get the right nutrients in your body. Try to go to the doctor ask them I'm they can give you any cognitive behavioural therapy. It really helps I hope you get better.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Eden and welcome!

IM also 21. 
     I feel similar and it is awful. Your not alone <3  it feels like nothing will go back to the way it was before you felt this way. Reaching out for help is the first step so it’s really good you came here and speak to parents and friends. That support can make a bit of difference 
    how are you feeling now? <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley