Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feel guilty/weird about getting close with someone else

TiredSquirrelTiredSquirrel Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
So some of you will have seen my previous posts about struggling to move on from my ex.

I've been talking to this other girl online for a while now and feel it's helped me move on a bit. I feared it would be a rebound but thinking it's more than that now.

It's just, I sort of feel guilty and weird potentially being with someone else. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. Maybe it's because then it's like my past relationship is definitely done for good.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @TiredSquirrel

My advice would be to take everything one day at a time, and allow yourself to feel any emotions that you feel. It's quite common for people to feel guilty when they begin speaking to somebody else after a break up, but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing to do. Take things slowly, explore how you truly feel about speaking to somebody and how you feel about the girl, and remember that however you feel is okay :smile: You are doing nothing wrong...just do what feels right for you :heart:
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hi @TiredSquirrel

I just wanted to echo what @coc0mac said - I think it's normal to feel super weird about talking to someone new after a breakup, it almost feels like you're still with them and cheating on them doesn't it? But you are doing absolutely nothing wrong, just enjoy talking to someone new. It might develop into something and it might not - but I don't think it's that important to worry about that until you feel ready to think about it. In the meantime, just try and have fun :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,858 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

I think that part of it won't be easy, but you do need to resolve those emotions with your old relationship so that it doesn't affect you going forward, otherwise that can cause problems in later relationships. It's about accepting that things are over and have changed, so that you can move forward knowing that one chapter has closed and another is opening x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    TiredSquirrelTiredSquirrel Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    @Azziman

Yeah I think I need to eventually fully move on from those feelings. I've come far but still healing. Just scared of getting hurt again ya know.