Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Constantly unproductive and sick of it

Porcupine19Porcupine19 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
I'm so angry with myself... I feel like I'm stuck in this endless cycle of procrastinating about EVERYTHING and feeling rubbish about myself. I can NEVER seem to be genuinely productive with anything, even things like writing which I actually like, the only thing I get lots of done is watching TV. I'm finishing uni this year and should be looking for jobs and working on my blog and stuff, but it feels like there's so much to do, I didn't get enough experience in anything at uni and I'm just getting nowhere with anything that could really help me. I feel stuck and stagnant, and I'm scared that I'm just going to stay that way, and never do anything worth talking about. I'll just be stuck in my childhood bedroom forever, and eventually be alone because my social/love life is basically non-existent too. And what if I've failed my degree? Results come out Tuesday and I'm so scared...
I've at least managed to do a couple of tiny things today but for the long-term future everything I do just seems so pointless : (
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JayJJayJ Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Hi @Porcupine19 welcome to the community! I'm currently at uni so I know what you mean, procrastinating is basically the universal language of students haha. It can be really really tough to get yourself out of it because the world is just full of distractions, even when you're doing things you enjoy and especially when you have to do something that's not - job searching is definitely not fun. 

A lot of the time procrastination is down to stress and it being a coping mechanism even though its counter intuitive. It's so easy to say and so hard to do I know, but try not to worry and panic over it. You will get things done, and it doesn't have to be this second/hour/day. Take your time.  It's your life, I promise it will wait for you. 

Also if you're struggling with failing into TV too much (I'm so bad for this), a thing I've found helps is wrapper the remote/controller/tablet (whatever you're watching on). Literally wrap it in wrapping paper and cake it in cello tape so it's hard to get to. That way, when you automatically reach for it, your unconscious will hopefully decide it's more effort than pleasure and actually bring your attention back to the task you're doing. Forest is a great app for your phone too that disables everything except music for an amount of time you determine and if you use it enough, you contribute to trees being planted! 

I hope this helps! Keeps us updated on how you're doing <3 
  • Options
    EGMEGM Posts: 282 The Mix Regular
    Hey, I struggle with this so much as well. Whilst procrastinating I came across some interesting tips for being more productive.
    It was suggested to make a simple plan for the day with plenty of flexibility around the timings and creating clear time for breaks and doing activities which you enjoy. And during the day if you think of more things you need to do you just put it on the list for the next day.
    Also focusing on just starting the task instead of focusing on the fact that you have to do loads of work is useful, because it can be daunting. Once you get going on a task it is usually easy to carry on. 

I hope this helps! I know it really helped me to break down the tasks
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) This sounds a classic case of procrastination! It sounds like your anxiety about your procrastination is actually causing a loop, where you put something off, feel anxious about it, which then makes you put it more as the task at hand becomes more seemingly overwhelming. Truth is, you have to be disciplined, realise that you have to work hard to get these things, and most importantly, that no one but you can do this for yourself. You have to intervene to break this cycle, otherwise it will just keep going and you will fall far behind. Do the right thing, break this cycle, and work hard to get these things you want!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Porcupine19

Sorry to hear you are feeling like this. It can feel so frustrating to feel stuck in a loop of procrastination - but hang in there, I really believe you can do it and will go on to do great things! :heart:

Just as @JayJ said, procrastination can often be a coping mechanism for other ways that you are feeling. If we are distracted by other thoughts and feelings, perhaps if you are somebody who experiences anxiety for example, our energy may be poured into those thoughts meaning we are then left feeling de-motivated and more likely to procrastinate. It can be really good to reflect on our feelings, either by writing, sitting with your thoughts, or you can definitely share them here and we can all work through things together. But often finding the root of a feeling is the best way to overcome it :smile:

Also, although easier said than done, try not to be too hard on yourself. Uni is an overwhelming experience, leaving uni is equally overwhelming, so it's okay if that leads you to procrastinate at times. You have done so well to acknowledge that you think you procrastinate a little too often, so all that's really left to do now is to figure out a balance - allowing for some procrastination whilst also getting stuff done when you do have bursts of energy and motivation. And I know you will get there :heart:

Also, very best of luck with your uni results :) x