Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

my friend treats me different

ems16ems16 Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
so I have been friends with someone for like a year or so now at the beginning everything was fine but as time went on she started to sort of pick on me, I am a very shy person and not very confrontational, I don’t really defend my self it’s scary to me, she started of just saying comments like if I made a mistake she would say something and be like cheeky about it, I just brushed it off but then she kept bringing stuff up and sometimes saying stuff for no reason, I realised that I was the only person out of her friends she treated like this and whenever I try to talk about something on my mind she interrupts and talks about her problems and says how she has stuff worse, I am always there for her but she’s never there for me

Comments

• ems16ems16 Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    I’ll continue on this because it’s quite long, but yeah I am always there for her and I understand that she goes through things but it makes me feel terrible when I don’t get the same 
    aside from that she gets angry at me a lot if I don’t answer the phone straight away when she phones or if I’ve not left like a minute after i said i would and whenever I tell her I don’t really want to come out or if I want to see other pals she’ll tell me that I’m a bad friend and I’m never there that I then lost friends because I never came out because I didn’t want her to get annoyed with me, I’ve tried to get out this friendship but she’s my only friend 
  • Tee ATee A Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hey @ems16 !

I'm sorry to hear that your friend is treating you differently. I can understand why your situation seems difficult to resolve!

I just want to say, don't let anyone tell you that your problems/issues/struggles etc. are insignificant in comparison to theirs. It is not a competition and it is ok to feel upset if something is bothering you. Feel free to use The Mix to get if off your chest if you need to :heart:

You mentioned that sometimes you might want to see your other pals. Have you ever mentioned this to them before. Maybe if you spoke to them about how this friend might be singling you out, they could give you tips on how to address the situation. Especially if her character is quite difficult.
    https://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/friendship/how-to-confront-a-friend-3318.html
    The above link is an article on how to confront a friend in a peaceful way. I think you might find this useful. I think it would be a good idea to confront this friend because she seems to be isolating you from others.

I hope this helps!  :3