Home Fix The Mix
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.

'Pronoun' profile field

MikeMike 🎧LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
Currently, we have a 'gender identity' profile field, but nothing for 'pronoun'. A case could probably be made for 'pronoun' being more practically useful in conversation, and it's something we're able to add. That said, 'gender identity' might already fill that purpose and we're keen not to add something for the sake of it.

What do you guys think? :) Would a 'pronoun' field be a good addition?

'Pronoun' profile field 15 votes

I'd like this feature
60% 9 votes
I don't think we need it
13% 2 votes
I'm easy, do whatever
26% 4 votes
I have another suggestion (post below)
0% 0 votes
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!

Comments

• LaineLaine Fruit loop Gone for gooPosts: 2,766 Account Deactivated
    This is a tricky one!

While it's important to be inclusive and everyone get to have the pronouns they use I wonder about it

If it's similar to the gender identity one then someone must click on their profile to see their pronouns right? 
    I'm not sure how handy that would be as maybe not everyone would see it?

Also I never find myself using pronouns here I @ the person, or use a name they gave me.

Such as Mike said rather than he said.

I think it won't hurt to have it it's just something that may not be seen as much? If that makes any sense :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    MikePast User
  • MikeMike 🎧 LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
    Really hear you on that @Laine - practically I guess tagging is used the most. :3 And visibility is a consideration for sure, so having it tucked in a profile might not be as useful.

Past User
  • RileyRiley Posts: 848 Super Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I think it would be a nice idea to add, even if it doesn't get used very often I know many social media sites have a similar kind of thing in place. I think it's also important that since the forums are important as a safe space we'd want to avoid people being misgendered as much as possible.

Mike said:
    That said, 'gender identity' might already fill that purpose and we're keen not to add something for the sake of it.
    Don't forget that gender identity and pronoun usage isn't always the same thing!  :p Especially when it comes to non-binary people.
    Riley said:
    I think it would be a nice idea to add, even if it doesn't get used very often I know many social media sites have a similar kind of thing in place. I think it's also important that since the forums are important as a safe space we'd want to avoid people being misgendered as much as possible.

Mike said:
    That said, 'gender identity' might already fill that purpose and we're keen not to add something for the sake of it.
    Don't forget that gender identity and pronoun usage isn't always the same thing!  :p Especially when it comes to non-binary people.
    Thanks for your input @Riley!

I quite agree with your last point; didn't want to make the post too leading. :tongue: 

Riley
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 7,562 Legendary Poster
    I can see why it’d be useful, but i also don’t really use pronouns on here I usually tag the person or use their name if I know it. So I don’t mind either way.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Mike
    We've added this as a field that displays on profiles. You don't have to use it, of course. :)

• LaineLaine Fruit loop Gone for gooPosts: 2,766 Account Deactivated
    Ooh exciting something new haha 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    independent_Mike