Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Motivation

mimimimi Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
As with everyone, my uni work has been online for over a month now. I am doing biomedical sciences, so working through practical work has been difficult since we're not actually in the labs but they've changed the format of the assessments so they're a bit easier and I only have 1 left now. 
As for lectures, they've just uploaded recordings of the remaining lectures from last year. Our exam has changed from 3 exams with 120 questions each to 1 exam with only 60 questions. It's also just a pass/fail so I just have to get 40%. It's also open book and we have 24 hours to complete it. With all of this, I have absolutely zero motivation to look at the remaining lectures or do any kind of work for the rest of this semester because there doesn't seem any point. I know that looking through them will be useful for next year but that's not enough to motivate me. I just really don't care but know I'll struggle next year if I don't look through it. How can I get motivated? 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    Hey @mimi biomedical sciences sounds really interesting! Its positive that they were able to change the format of the assessments, that sounds like quite a helpful change.  :)

Its understandable that you may feel a lack of motivation to look at the lectures you have left or complete any work if you feel there isn't any point. You mentioned that if you were to look through the work it would be beneficial to your studies for next year, but you still don't feel motivated.

It could be useful to not put pressure on yourself but maybe set small tasks e.g "read up about X" to make it seem a little more manageable and less of a big task. How would you feel about this?  Sometimes it can definitely be tough to find motivation, and it's important to find what works for you, maybe think about some of the other benefits of doing some of the work such as to keep you busy during lock down etc? 

This article here also talks about tips to helps students to become motivated to study, so it may be worth a read if you have the opportunity!  :)  
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    To be honest, you can do it now or later, but you will have to do it at some point. The common thing to do is revise hard for exams, maybe forget some of it over the summer, and then go back over your notes a week or two before autumn term starts so that it's fresh in your mind. I would revise a decent amount for this exam so that you don't waste so much time reading in the allotted time, and can spend more time on the tougher questions x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hello,
    Sounds like you are doing an interesting course! Sorry you are struggling to stay motivated.
    Could you maybe set up a timetable? Doing half hour at a time looking at remaining lectures and work? And then take breaks for 15 - 20 minutes? I found it helpful to plan an activity in the break, it kept me motivated to get through half hour work knowing I have a nice treat waiting at the end.

Good luck with the rest of your course! 💕
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I study Biomedical Science too! I totally agree that cancelled practical work makes things a bit harder, which is annoying but I’m glad the assignments you got given instead are a bit easier. 

I’m also really struggling with motivation at the minute, what people have suggested to me which I find useful is trying to do at least something a day even its it’s just an hour or two, and pick the time you feel most motivated to do it. I feel most motivated in the morning so I always try to get most of my work done then. Remember to plan in loads of breaks and just try to get a bit of work done in between. If you’re not worried/ don’t need any of it for the exam you have a really long time to work through it before next year, so you can take your time and just try to get a little bit done when you can. 

Hope you find something that works for you x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • mimimimi Posts: 20 Boards Initiate
    Thank you everyone for your support and advice, I'll start to try and do little bits at a time, I just don't want to get overwhelmed and then get really stressed
  • ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 93 Budding Regular
    @mimi and @dandelion, I do biomedical science too!!!!! My motivation is so low at the moment! But we can do this!!!!!!! I know we can!!!!!
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hey @mimi

There's some great articles on The Mix here:
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/study-motivation-1354.html
    https://www.themix.org.uk/work-and-study/study-and-exam-tips/revision-tips-1238.html

They're not specifically related to what's going on at the moment but they might help you to get motivated :)

Good luck!