Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam and education uncertainty explained.

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
So for many of us this has felt like a huge blow not only for our mental health and physical wellbeing but also for the uncertainty of how our future will run out. 

GCSEs and A levels (school and college set)
Teachers/lecturers will look at a mixture of coursework, effort grade, attendance, and mocks along with other evidence to determine the grade you will ultimately come out with.

Times are still uncertain but your teachers and lecturers will update you with any new information they have been given and grades will differ school to school.
Exam boards have promised a fair grading for all but there are still concerns disadvantaged students will be dealt a soft blow.
Therefore many schools and colleges have promised a reset available in the next academic year(November or next summer) so that everyone can get the grades they deserve.
Applying for college is still on for next year you just have to have an online or phone appointment instead of face to face.

The good news is that everyone will still be able to progress and so it's very important to continue revision and work at home!

Now as for Universities.
For applying, not much has changed apart from the fact that UCAS has now pressured universities to stop making unconditional offers. This is because they are worried people will feel forced to take them over other ones that may be better suited. (Unis in Scotland may continue to make offers) 

To give people more time to make  decisions – and to understand more about how qualifications will be awarded this summer, they have extended:  
•  Their May offer deadline for UCAS Undergraduate applicants  
• And the rolling decision dates for UCAS Teacher Training applicants and providers   

As for exams. Every University is different but there have already been promises from the likes of Oxford Cambridge and others that they will move exams to online assessments.

Some courses such as law area hoping to sit the bar in August but may have to cancel the decision and also move to online assessments. 
Some Universities have also moved exams into online modules and some May offer the chance to take a remote exam.

The most important thing right now is to stay calm as things can be sorted, 

Schools colleges and unis will also put an appeal process in place if people are unhappy with results given.

Note that every place may be different so rely on the emails your tutors should be giving you to update you on what to do and know that work and study is still important x

Stay strong 💕

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    This is very useful information.
    I have no exams on my course....what does the "no detriment rule" mean?? does anyone know?
  • AriannaArianna Posts: 77 Budding Regular
    @Invisible_me Hey! The no detriment rule basically means that no matter how you do on this year's exams, your grade can't fall below your current average. It can increase if you do well, but there's no chance of these exams making your final grade decrease at all :)
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Lovely idea to highlight this information @Laine

For those of us at university, as Laine says, the situation is different. Check your emails often if you are at Uni. If the Uni you attend says something that you don't quite understand or makes you worried, get in touch with them! Don't be afraid to ask questions to make sure you know everything that you need to know. 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.