Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited September 2023 in Work & Study
I have an interview on 19 th. for a peer support worker role with the recovery college. For those who have never been its where you go and get supported in a group on an educational level about mental illness. So say you go to a group for anxiety, you'd mostly be in a group of people talking about anxiety and self coping skills ect. And i think this role is like teaching that class.  While like giving hope and empowerment. While sometimes working with peers seperatly to reach goals. And its a temp with 12 month fixed term

I applied for this without reading the job description tbh. I just used my supporting letter of a job i applied thats in my county and didnt get offered interview so wanted it to try it for somewhere else (wisbech). So i obviously thought my supporting letter was shit but they accepted it. And wasnt expecting it. 

But ive accepted the interview. Now im just wondering if i should cancel it now lol. 

Cons are -
-Im getting stressed over an interview for a job i probably wouldnt get anyway. 
-Wisbech is a bit far and costs more
-im not very good with public speaking let alone leading a classroom. Tho i have been to a recovery college before it doesnt feel like a classroom. More like group therapy lol
- i want a peer support role that's more one to one with people (the one near me was that)

pros are
get experience of an interview for a career i want to be in for the rest of my life
i could get the job and realise i want it then enjoy it

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry i thought i was posting in the work sub forum
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited March 2020
    Lool. I iust told my sister and shes like. "Wtf you cant do that"
    i was well could if try. She said "omg" "seriously" "no way you could"

so yeah lol guess thats made my mind up
    My sister has made me feel like asbulote crap and you may aswell close or delete this thread. Wont even be going to the interview and will cancel it. 
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    You got accepted, that says alot. Just go to the interview and see from there. Even if you don't want the job, you can see what kind of questions they ask. Maybe they have other recommendations
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie,

Best of luck with the interview, sending you lots of positive wishes :heart:

Just to let you know I've moved your thread over to the work & volunteer section :smile:

Sorry to hear what your sister said, that doesn't sound very supportive. Hope you are okay? :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I think you should go for it! you done well getting an interview and it will give you experience :) <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey Shaunie,

Echoing what @ThePigeons & @BubblesGoesBoo said, there are lots of benefits to doing an interview, even if you aren't 100% sold on the specific job for some of the reasons you listed. Worst case scenario, you get to practice an interview for a role that is similar to your goal job, you can also get some feedback from how it went. Best case scenario, you get the job and get to try it for a year which will also build your experience when it comes for looking for the next step. 

Equally, as someone who shortlists and interviews people for jobs, I wouldn't invite someone to interview that I wasn't genuinely interested in employing, so they must have seen a lot to like from your application to invite you in.

We have a number of articles on The Mix around interview technique that you may find helpful. 

Try not to let self-doubt hold you back from giving something a go that really lines up well with your personal goals. It's completely natural to feel uncertain or to not be confident, but it's at these points where we need to ignore the voice that tells us we can't and push ourselves that little further outside of our comfort zone. If you remember back to your peer-support worker course, you felt similarly back then that you could never get through it, wouldn't be able to do public speaking, wouldn't pass the course, but you more than proved yourself wrong. Hold on to those memories when people tell you that you can't do it. 

I'm a sucker for motivational quotes, and this is one of my favourites (used to be my signature) that I think works well for self-doubt or criticism from others, from the film 'The Imitation Game':

"Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine."
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Thank you @ThePigeons @BubblesGoesBoo @Stephanie and @Ed_

Yeah that's true my sister thought i couldn't even do a group interview let alone get accepted on the course and complete it. My peer tutor said we wouldn't be approved as a qualified peer support worker if they thought we couldn't do some parts of the role. 

I think i defo wouldn't get the job as apperntly most peer support workers take a few interviews before get accepted cause of practice I'm guessing so would be good practice
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Hey, I hope your interview went well! Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I'm looking on here for inspiration! 

I hope you weren't too stressed. Have you heard anything back yet @Shaunie ?
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Anch0r33 said:
    Hey, I hope your interview went well! Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I'm looking on here for inspiration! 

I hope you weren't too stressed. Have you heard anything back yet @Shaunie ?

Thank you. But the interview has been postponed cause of the virus
    Shittt got an email today asking about a video call for the interview 😭  I'm surprised they're still looking for someone and willing to send the money on it considering what going on. (Its with the nhs). 
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    A positive thing about video calling is that you can have notes on or near your screen
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • ConnorConnor Deactivated Posts: 508 Incredible Poster
    How do you feel about doing a video call interview, @Shaunie ?
    This has been canceled now not postphoned. Got email today :/ guess that was obvious going to happen. Said when time is right will staart recuritment process again and get in touch. I don’t know if that means for me to apply for it again or get interview. Probably to apply for it again ah
  • SammySammy Posts: 3 Newbie
    Shaunie said:
    This has been canceled now not postphoned. Got email today :/ guess that was obvious going to happen. Said when time is right will staart recuritment process again and get in touch. I don’t know if that means for me to apply for it again or get interview. Probably to apply for it again ah
    Sorry to hear this happened always keep an eye out if they are still recruiting and don't let this put you down. 
    The past can't hurt you anymore, Unless you let it