Home Work & Volunteering
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

Don’t know how I’ll manage

molmol Posts: 46 Boards Initiate
I’m 19 and I’ve never had a job. I have a severe anxiety disorder and leaving the house is a struggle atm, I also have depression and Aspergers. Whenever I do feel ready to work, I don’t know how I’ll actually manage because I’m so all over the place, I feel as if I’ll never be able to. I’m so lost and I don’t know what I’m gonna do 
Kathleen07Lucy307

Comments

• AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,932 Boards Guru
    edited January 2020
    Hey,

I was in a similar place trying to get into work when I used to have depression and anxiety, I had a few barriers that were in my way like it being difficult to leave the house, anxiety around pulic transport, not having a lot of charisma or good interview skills from being depressed etc.

I think it's a good idea to start from the beginning, and work on the more immediate things that are stopping you from being able to achieve your goals. For you trying to get into work, this might be getting help for depression and anxiety as you might find they're making everything else harder. But have a think and go at your own pace, it's helpful to take things one step at a time.

In the meantime have you thought about looking for work you can do from home that doesn't require leaving the house or much social interaction etc? If you need something on your CV but you don't feel ready for work yet, you could also do some volunteering whether that's somewhere local or even online.

Take care and keep us updated, you're strong and you can get through this 😊
    "Do, or do not, there is no try" <(•.•)>              
    mol
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey Mol. It's understandable to feel like that. It does sound like something that would make working feel impossible for you. Just to echo what Aidan said, what would you think of getting treatment for your anxiety and depression to help sort that out?

Do you have any idea what job you'll want when you're ready to work? I'm here if you want to talk more about how your mental health's affecting you <3
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 806 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi @mol

Just wanted to echo what the others have said - I think they have shared some great advice :heart:

It's also important for you to know that it's absolutely okay to tell future employers about the way you feel and that may help you to find a job where you can feel best supported. Good employers really care about their employees wellbeing :smile:

Good luck and take good care x
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 948 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey Mol,

I know how scary it can feel, so definitely relate to you! I think it can seem very scary with various preconceptions, but truth is, you won't ever know until you give it a go. Each workplace can be very different, so it's simply a case of finding work, environment and a team that you feel comfortable with. Giving it a go also means you can see what you like and don't like. I know that seems like going in at the deep end, but a lot of people find that giving it a go means they actually learn a lot about what they want to do, finding something they're good at, and that it's not as scary as it seems x

Much love <3
    mol