Home Politics & Debate
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Fireworks

ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
edited November 2019 in Politics & Debate
Do you think loud fire works should be banned? Was just watching this 
https://youtu.be/co15jyX1_jw

I think the loud fireworks should def be banned and shouldnt be sold at all in shops cause of dog & stuff.  Maybe displayed loud fireworks should be allowed but I don’t know what that woman is talking about - about it being the owners responsibility to manage the dogs anxiety. Sometimes you just cant. I know sainsburys banned them all together this year and some have done some low noise fire works. But still places sell them

Comments

  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 823 Part of The Mix Family
    I dunno I feel like organised displays should be allowed but I’m against individuals being able to buy them. Like around my area on Halloween there was young people throwing fireworks at cars and stuff and letting them off in the pavements and it was dangerous. Personally the loud bangs give me anxiety so I’m not a fan but I wouldn’t want everyone’s fun to be ruined for my sake. If we banned everything that everyone was scared of the world would be very boring lol
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    My fear around banning fireworks is people will try to make their own/ buy them online illegally etc. That would be extremely dangerous as those fireworks wouldn't be tested to ensure they work properly etc

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald TardisPosts: 146 Helping Hand
    I think overall people enjoy them, and unless people are having them often I think its ok, however I get what you are saying  <3

    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

    GreenTea
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I feel sorry for all the little dogs. Who would go out of there way to make fireworks?
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    Those who enjoy them? You ban something and people find their ways around it.

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I dont think so
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    I do. You ban something and people still want it. I see both sides of banning them and not banning them. Banning then will just cause dodgy selling over the internet, people trying to make their own, It also takes away an event in history.
    not banning them- creates good family events. I've been to several bonfire parties, food goes out, kids play together, adults chat, then the fireworks go off, all the kids watching from the windows while the dad's are outside settings them off. That's how bonfire night was when I was a kid. A get together. 
    It's part of history.

    My dog doesn't like fireworks, infact I don't. But I'm not gonna go all in for banning them when there is possibility of quieter ones. My parents will sit with my dog, in the living room with the TV on, give him a treat and some extra fuss and he doesn't even notice the fireworks. 

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah. Loud fire works should be banned & replaced with quieter ones
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited November 2019
    Display loud fireworks ones i think are okay cause you atleast you can be aware in advance

    teddy is too noise sensitive tho 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    People should let their neighbours know if they are doing fireworks, let them know in advance so they can keep their pets inside. 

    Banning them will just create back street selling, like drugs.
    I mean alcohol is banned in prisons but they still make it etc? You can't ban something so massive and expect back street selling not to happen

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It probably already happens. 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    It does already happen. How do you think kids get their hands on fireworks?.. banning them will just make the situation more dangerous 

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Na
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Bpd bitch ✌🏼 Posts: 823 Part of The Mix Family
    I think a fair compromise is to have organised firework displays only. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 11,924 An Original Mixlorian
    Are you say na to back street selling being dangerous? We all know the dangerous of drugs being sold on backstreets. Untested fireworks that probably haven't met regulations being sold off as safe family friendly? You even said yourself it properly happens already. Banning of fireworks will increase this. It's just opening up a market places to backstreet dealers

    The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

    Astrid Alauda

  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I said na to it making any difference. Im pretty sure if local super markets banned the loud ones. Wed hear them far less
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Moderator
    Interesting question @Shaunie !

    I do love watching fireworks and I can definitely understand @GreenTea 's concerns about banning fireworks leading to unregulated ones to be created, however, given the negative impact of fireworks on pollution, wildlife, pets, people with anxiety/autism/PTSD and their ability to damage properties and start fires, I think a happy medium is to have public firework displays in licensed areas for Guy Fawkes night only and a limit on how loud they can be. That way people can still celebrate the 5th November but it is in a safe manner and those around the area can prepare for the event.

    I read recently that Sainsbury's have banned selling fireworks, so it will be interesting to see if other supermarkets follow suit. Also I've just seen that #banfireworks is trending on twitter tonight.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,210 Skive's The Limit
    I really hate the knee jerk reaction to ban things that may be problematic. Before introducing an outright ban perhaps other solutions could be looked into. 

    Perhaps a restriction on the date and times fireworks can be set off would be a good idea. Silent firewaorks are becoming more popular, There's plenty of stuff that can be done to minimize the negative impact from private firework displays before we ban them.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
    GreenTeaJellyelephant
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Skive said:
    I really hate the knee jerk reaction to ban things that may be problematic. Before introducing an outright ban perhaps other solutions could be looked into. 

    Perhaps a restriction on the date and times fireworks can be set off would be a good idea. Silent firewaorks are becoming more popular, There's plenty of stuff that can be done to minimize the negative impact from private firework displays before we ban them.

    Yeah i completly agree. Definetly against a complete ban of fireworks too
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,210 Skive's The Limit
    edited November 2019
    It's 5th November 2025.
    The night is filled with the sound of silence. Only soundless fireworks are permitted and only one rocket per household. This is to avoid distress to Maureen's tabby cat, which is a murderous little cunt the other 364 days of the year, and to avoid upsetting the Yorkshire Terrier at number 54, which can normally be heard keeping the neighbours awake with it's incessant yapping.
    Bonfires have been banned due to health and safety, and the burning of 'Guys' is no longer permitted due to effigy specific gender descimination rules.

    People are sad. :(

    Post edited by Skive on
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
    GreenTeaDancer
  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,869 Part of The Furniture
    This would be my ideal 5th November 2020:

    The one and only day of the year where fireworks are legal. They must only be set off between 5pm and 8:30pm. They must only be in public displays so pets do not get scared.
    I'm a fruit loop. 🍊➰

    There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kasa2103 said:
    This would be my ideal 5th November 2020:

    The one and only day of the year where fireworks are legal. They must only be set off between 5pm and 8:30pm. They must only be in public displays so pets do not get scared.
    No what about new years and all festive celetrabtion  days

    Skive said:
    It's 5th November 2025.
    The night is filled with the sound of silence. Only soundless fireworks are permitted and only one rocket per household. This is to avoid distress to Maureen's tabby cat, which is a murderous little cunt the other 364 days of the year, and to avoid upsetting the Yorkshire Terrier at number 54, which can normally be heard keeping the neighbours awake with it's incessant yapping.
    Bonfires have been banned due to health and safety, and the burning of 'Guys' is no longer permitted due to effigy specific gender descimination rules.

    People are sad. :(


    Hope not. Thats extreme ha. Doubt that would happen. 

  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,869 Part of The Furniture
    Shaunie said:
    Kasa2103 said:
    This would be my ideal 5th November 2020:

    The one and only day of the year where fireworks are legal. They must only be set off between 5pm and 8:30pm. They must only be in public displays so pets do not get scared.
    No what about new years and all festive celetrabtion  days

    Skive said:
    It's 5th November 2025.
    The night is filled with the sound of silence. Only soundless fireworks are permitted and only one rocket per household. This is to avoid distress to Maureen's tabby cat, which is a murderous little cunt the other 364 days of the year, and to avoid upsetting the Yorkshire Terrier at number 54, which can normally be heard keeping the neighbours awake with it's incessant yapping.
    Bonfires have been banned due to health and safety, and the burning of 'Guys' is no longer permitted due to effigy specific gender descimination rules.

    People are sad. :(


    Hope not. Thats extreme ha. Doubt that would happen. 

    Isn't one day a year enough for the poor animals of the world to be scared? I have 3 cats and they get absolutely terrified. I am sure that even Teddy gets scared.

    I have to agree with you that what @Skive said is a bit extreme. But I don't think anyone wants animals to be scared.
    I'm a fruit loop. 🍊➰

    There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.
  • ShaunieShaunie Posts: 13,226 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited November 2019
    Yeah teddy gets scared but can prepare them. I think the loud ones shold be banned from shops or some ban around when the loud ones can be.  But all gunna be a bit boring if only one days a year you hear it. But i see what you mean cause of wild animals get really scared. Saw on facebook of one got caught up in wire from trying to run away or something
Sign In or Register to comment.