Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Volunteering/Placement Advice

coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if I can have a little bit of advice please. As part of my uni course we have to complete 30 hours of practical work experience so then we can write a portfolio about what we learnt. They said we can either find. a 30 hour placement, or find a volunteer role and volunteer for 30 hours, but I am finding it so difficult to find something. I know I want to work with young people and mental health in the future, so I have a direction in my search, but so many either offer short shifts once a week so I'd be volunteering for ages to reach 30 hours (it has to be complete by feb), or they have a minimum of 1 year that you have to commit and I don't have that much availability. I'm just wondering if anyone has completed a short placement before and if they have any tips on getting one please?

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @coc0mac sorry to hear you're finding it difficult to find volunteering jobs but it's great that you have an idea of the field you want to work in.

Would you be able to speak to other students on your course to see what they are doing?

How would you feel about approaching your careers department at your university? They should have some links in the local area for volunteering roles as well.  

Also, have you looked at https://do-it.org/ ? You just enter your postcode and it will list local volunteering opportunities in your area. 

I wish you the best of luck in your search - let us know how you get on! :)

• Options
    Hi @PoppyB

Thank you so much for your advice! I've spoken to my course mates but they have quite different interests so no real leads. However I spent my afternoon ringing and emailing a few places and that landed me an interview on Monday so that's good! I'll update you on how that goes. 

I'll have a look at do-it, and great idea about the careers department! thank you x
  • Options
    Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    Hi @coc0mac
    That's so great you have an interview on Monday!  I really hope it goes well and definitely let us know. Are you still reaching out to volunteer places as it can be a good idea to have some options.

Have you also tried explaining the situation to the volunteer places as they might be able to be more flexible with your hours as part of your course?

I also agree with @PoppyB that talking to the careers department is great advice, they can be very helpful and it is their job to help you out with things like volunteer placement ideas.
  • Options
    ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Charities like hospices are amazing and they have to give mental support for families that are living with someone dying and things so that might be a good place to start  :)
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Heya!x

A lot of firms might not be open to offering work placements for 30 hours. I think your best option is to go for volunteering - you can do a few hours a week, so it won't take long. Also, you get to improve your skills and learn more about the charity - and hey, who says you have to stop at 30 hours if you really enjoy it?x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @coc0mac,

How did your interview go? 
  • Options
    Hi @PoppyB, @Gemma, @ClaraOswald, @Azziman and @mags98

Thank you so much for all of your advice! I love your idea of a hospice @ClaraOswald, and @Azziman's about volunteering. Thank you :smile:

I have just come out of my interview and I think it went well thank you. They were really nice and it's somewhere I'd love to work. They said I'd hear back within a week so at least it's not a long waiting time.

Thank you again! 
  • Options
    mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @coc0mac

I'm glad you feel like it went well and I hope you get it. It's also really good that you feel like you'd love to work there, it makes work feel less demanding when you work for a cause you believe in.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you  :)
  • Options
    @mags98 Sadly I didn't get it! They need a minimum commitment of a year but I only live in this city for uni term time and will graduate within a year :disappointed: I'll keep looking!
  • Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Hey @coc0mac thanks so much for keeping us updated!

So sorry that you didn't get the job :( But it's still really encouraging that you got to the interview stage! Did they give any other feedback about how you performed at the interview? It always helps to get some constructive feedback about what came across well and how you could improve for next time. 

Keep your head up with the search, I'm sure something great will be right around the corner <3
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular

Have you had a look at the volunteering section on Charityjobs - every now and again really good short-term volunteering roles pop up on there - https://www.charityjob.co.uk/volunteer-jobs

Good luck with the search <3