Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Super" skinny models banned in some countries. PTW

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited September 2019 in Politics & Debate
Heyy!

i read a lot about food and health around food and models and eating disorder ect on the internet and found out that 6 countries have banned "super" skinny models. I dont want to send the links since i dont want to send things that contain BMI numbers ect & triggering things. But basically if under a certain BMI cant be a model

i disagree with that since people can be naturally under the healthy BMI, it does not mean they have anorexia. I knew someone whos naturally thin, not "healthy" BMI and hated it, seeing no models like this could make these people feel just as bad. But they was healthy cause ate right just didnt get as much fat stored. I personally think anyone can be a model and putting restrictions on it, is saying they cant be a model, when everyone can be. Like the same for overweight people, they can be slightly overweiht but still healthy if eat right, and not within the "healthy range" yet can still be models so why cant underweight be too? (While not ignoring massive health risks of both ends of weights if was unhealthy eating) And there is no upper BMI limit when that would be considered unhealthy too. So it makes no sense. 

the only problem i would have if the Models undwieght - if they was on the front cover of a magazine. Cause in my opinion when see a magazine and someone modeling on front - in my head i think "this is telling me i should look like this" thats maybe just how my brain works. But yeah thats just my personal opinion and can be models just my view on that part. And how i feel they can all be models but not to be glamorised in front cover  imo. And if the magainze said nothing about how every size is okay but you may be unhealthy if this size or just be naturally thin and how it would be unhealthy if not this size but is your aim and talk about the health risks. Same if was overweight. 

The reason that underweight people cant be models is so it doesnt cause anorexia. I can understand wanting to aviod the pressure modelling can have. But surely should be looking for the signs of anorexia and ED rather than someones weight. Since can be any weight. The only reason people felt pressured in first place was cause people would be asked to be a low BMI but if no pressure & someone is naturally like that then whats wrong with that.  Some people could really want to be models but get refused cause not fat enough, they end up eating a lot and could causes unhealthy relationship with food and themselves when they cant be a model. 

It is a myth that anorexia is caused by run away models or fat phobia. models can be a massive infulence, anorexia is a very deep MH problem. 

And even if soemone did have anorexia and was in recovery -not feeling the pressure to be thin then why cant they be a model either? Just like maybe someone with binge eating disorder could be a model. We have to be in our bodies every second so whether youre unwell or well then you should feel comfortable with it. 

and maybe wondering why im so interested in these sort of debates and its mostly because i do have eating disorder and im just interested in weight, size and the media and views about it. And while i have had disorted thoughts of feeling fat but sometimes knowing i am thin- just because have anorexia doesnt mean i always want that body, even tho lot of times i do but a lot is to do with the way food makes me feel and control. And sometimes i feel body shamed when i see certain things about being underweight or a certain BMI. Plus. Just personally feel that when people are trying to be body positive they just unintentionally  shame underweight people. And because the media affects me mostly just models on front cover. 

Just wondering other peoples views on underweight models being banned in some countries ? :)
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rightly so it's banned. Many young teens aspire to be "skinny" and use images of very thin models to visualize it. 
    It's extremely unhealthy. 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    Many people are naturally skinny and told they cant model despite wanting to. That would feel pretty shit. Since i thought anyone should feel comfortable. Would feel shit if you was overweight and told you cant because it LOOKS  "unhealthy"

eating disorders arent caused by runaway models. Theyre complex mental health disorders and people will visualise it whether there are pictures of it or not
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I never said eating disorders are caused by models.
    My comment is based on experience with working with 100s of young people who come from different backgrounds and have done multiple workshops on body image.
    Currently working with a group of boys on bigorexia. 
    Doesn't matter if people are naturally skinny. Many teens are influenced by the body and looks of others 
    And don't drag the overweight shit back into this. That thread was closed. 
    edited September 2019
    Okay i appreciate your opinion :) & not saying its wrong since your opinion just sayingning mine. And it okay for me to talk about overweight people. Only because is closed they said can carry on convo on nother thread :). & its relevant 

The media should respesent everyone....
    espically if theyre healthy just naturally a bodu type ...so i thought anyways.

i was reading about a person who really wants to be a model so is eating so unhealthy and so much just to be one yet not getting there and thats ruining her life

i have anorexia and i have many times save skinny models on my phone to aspire to be that skinny. But if they wasnt there, im going to imagine it either way 

My experience isn't my opinion.. it's an experience. Something I've witnessed. Please don't invalidate experience as an opinion. That experience is multiple jobs I've worked.

Shaunie said:

i was reading about a person who really wants to be a model so is eating so unhealthy and so much just to be one yet not getting there and thats ruining her life

And this in my view is just like someone being like "youre too overweight you cant be a model" that would feel awful. Just like the pressure to be super skinny for models must of felt awful and telling them they have to be a certain way which is mot natural for them. And cause eating problems cause trying to change their body. Im underweight and id like to see models who are also underweight. I live in my body all the time, id like to feel some degree of comfortable in it and not to be told "too skinny"
    edited September 2019
    Wasnt invalidating you :). Sorry if felt that. Just said your opinion on how that experience made You have that opinion. Experiences form our opinions
    It's not an opinion... It's literally experience of all workshops I run and the 100s of kids I have worked with. My experience has not formed an opinion. My experience has opened my eyes to how models influence all teens with body image. Please respect that my experience is not my opinion at all. 
    edited September 2019
    Most opinions come from what we experience. My opinion is from experience but Okay will use your chioce of words :) & respecting that 
    Post edited by Siena on
    And just adding this so get back to topic of the thread.

People who are underweight can feel body shamed just as much as those who are overweight
    edited September 2019
    Aidan said:
    I think it's good to portray a realistic image when modelling- someone can look at the model and go 'hey that could be me' and ultimately buy the product that's being modelled, because there was a relatable model.

People can Abosuluty HATE themselves for being underweight. Seeing someone else with that weight can be like "hey thats me too & its okay if i dont have all these curves that apperently what everyone wants" 

And thank you  for opinion @Ai@Aidan ! :)
    edited September 2019
    And its edits that make people want to be a certain way. Unrealistic views.  If someones naturally thin and no edits and this is healthy then and not shown in a way thats "glamorising". Like front cover
    Post edited by Siena on
    edited September 2019
    And sadly people will still suffer with eating disorders even if this was never showed in anyway. Since eating disorder are really
    complex and while super skinny models doesnt help - they are not the only thing that feed someones eating disorder. Their own insecurities & many deep factors. So Theyd still imagine it and still crave the feelings they get with food/lack of it. 
     While naturally or just underweight people will not see their body type be represented in the media for them which can be damaging when they can hate themselves for it and just want to see someone else be comfortable too
    Yeah i agree theres always gunna be some Thing negative of either sides of these things. I guess its just a matter of opinion of which is more benefitical and which is more damaging. 

Though id say making sure everyone feel comfortable in their body would be what i see as priority. We cant protect everything or assume it will have that affect when lots of factors but we can do our best to make people feel comfortable and not to be told "too skinny". But thats just my opinion. 
    edited September 2019
    Also been reading a lot about why this is the case for some countries. Its only because of the pressure of the actual models so its illegal for model agencies to ask for a BMI that "unhealthy range"   Incase that causes anorexia to feel pressure. And incase they have eating disorder that their modelling career will feed it. But we cant see anorexia or eating disorder with just weight so thats a pointless reason

But no where does it say that the reason is about the people who view the images since its a massive myth anorexia is caused by skinny models. 
    edited September 2019
    And not being represented in media can cause negative body image so just opinion over matter i guess 

And yeah Exactly some people go looking and searching for skinny models because they have a heath problem and insecurities to start with not because it caused it. 

Thank you for opinion!  Quite interested in peoples views about these things
    edited September 2019
    Isnt it discriminating them? 
    Its very bad to tell someone "youre too fat to be a model". But totally okay to tell someone theyre too thin. No sense. Both should be bad to say
    edited September 2019
    I dont think you can compare it in that way. Imo. Lots More people die from obesity than eating disorders. Only cause takes longer. more people stilldie. Obesity is just as dangerous
    edited September 2019
    Thanks for opinion but no matter what age someone dies is a massive lose & its just as upsetting when someone dies earlier than they should and i dont think that comparrasion is even relevant since i said i think obese people can be models too. :) My point was that anyone can be models including people who physically cant reach a healthy weight, with a generation whos embrancing every body type would think its okay and shouldnt be discriminated against and made to feel bad for being skinny.

My point is we should embrasse every body type. Insecurities from the media come from when its shamed or one body type is glamorised.  Telling someone their natural body is too skinny for people to view is very rude. 
    Post edited by Siena on
    And i dont think banning models who are obese would reduce obesity. Unless it was glamorised then that would increase obesity. Just like i dont think banning underweight models would reduce eating disorders unless it was glamorised it could affect them. 
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    edited September 2019
    GreenTea said:
    Rightly so it's banned. Many young teens aspire to be "skinny" and use images of very thin models to visualize it. 

The banning of any natural body type as models will ultimately lead to unrealistic expectations because it creates an artificial representation of common body-types.
    Some people are large, some people are small, that is a natural expected variation, so the modelling industry should be encouraged to reflect that variation.

Weekender Offender 
    Yeah exactly^^

Its the variation we need. The only reason we have this view of underweight models will cause/ massive contribute to someones anorexia is because it use to be the only models around and it was glamourised to see the only body. The varation will let everyone know its okay no matter what body size you are! & no pressure to look at certain way. 

its like literally when people try to be body confidence by saying "curves are beautiful" hinting that no one wants to look lik those skinny models who dont have much curves. But then its not body confidence just shaming more people. And ive literally been told no one would ever wanna sleep with me because im underweight, though i do have eating disorder it doesnt mean i wanna always look like that. And the friend i knew who naturally skinny felt so self concious from being so bullied for it. And was told "real men like curves, dogs like bones"and she just actuallly hated being in her own body for being "too skinny" and banning those models are doing the exact same thing & telling people theyre too skinny.  just upsetting really. We need to see people comfortable in every body type
    Skive said:
    GreenTea said:

The banning of any natural body type as models will ultimately lead to unrealistic expectations because it creates an artificial representation of common body-types.
    Some people are large, some people are small, that is a natural expected variation, so the modelling industry should be encouraged to reflect that variation.

The modelling industry should stop photoshopping images to the Extreme and using underweight models until they are healthy Instead of romanticising unhealthy looks that influence teens and children in a negative way.
    edited September 2019
    All models & photos are edited. No matter what weight they are. They used to romantise them. They dont now. Thats why im saying they can be models if theyre not glamorised. Being a model doesnt mean youre saying "everyone be like this". Unless imo its on front cover imo. Otherwise youd think obese models are promoting obesity?
    It's not if it's just the front cover. It's all magazine pages.
    I stand by what I say and that's based on my experiences I've had with 100s of young people. 
    edited September 2019
    I have anorexia and i actually sometimes aspire to be like some models. But i also sometimes can hate being in my body when skinny cause its more about food and complex. And hate my body. Like people who are thin or naturally skinny.  Thats my expereince and a lot of people. Naturally skinny people will like to see people being comfortable in their body.
    But yeah apprecate your opinion/expereince. 
    Just think Having all different models wont glamorise skinny models. Will jsut say you can be any shape & no pressure. And will help people feel comfortable in all body types
    My experience is not an opinion. It's literally experience so please respect that and stop calling it an opinion. I have already asked. 
    I did? 
    Your opinion is it should be banned & should not use underweight models.   this is not an experience at all. & that is all i literally mean. Yeah your expeirence is your experience and never said it wasnt.
    So i did call it an experience like you asked, aswell as an opinion