Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job interview

Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
So I had a email last Night to say I’ve been offered an interview , Well one of There group assessment sessions for hobby craft . Don’t get me wrong I’m so excited for this Because I love anything crafty as it helps to settle my anxiety and provide a good distraction for when things are difficult.

i know what’s happening during the session because well the email said we’re have a talk about hobby craft , complete a group activity , have 1-2-1 interviews and have a demonstration and craft sessions. My worry is that there going to give me loads of different instructions or ask me loads of different questions at the same time and I can’t process loads of things all at once ! 

Also The questions I never ever know what to answer is “why do you want to work for us” I remember being asked it for Waitrose and I made a complete mess of it. I’ve also never had details experience before so what do I do if they ask about like “when have you given excellent coustmer service” I remember they put that on the application so I left it blank 😬

and what hat do I wear I have no clue I don’t want to be u dressed which I was for my Waitrose one I rocked up in my college polo shirt and leggings becuase of having to come. From college but then I don’t want to me overdressed and look like an Idoit compared to everyone else in the group 😩

Ughhh im So anxious for it and it’s a late evening one so it’s 5-8pm  
Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    edited August 2019
    I don't think I'll be much help with this, Ive only ever had 2 interviews, one for college and one for work, but I did ask why manager why they ask 'why do you want to work for us' and she said its cause they're looking for people who will be there for a while, and not just til they get another job, also cause if you've got a bigger dream they want to help with that, like if they have to allow time off for college or something, they also want people who are keen to do the job, and ain't just going to fob around til home time, they want people who are willing to go out if their way to help customers or the company. People who are willing to out in the effort and work.

I think in my interview I said something like I'm keen to work in the hotel industry as its work I can leave at work, and I can focus on my writing at home as my dream is to be  a writer but I know I need a job to go with that aswell.

If they ask you a lot of questions at once don't be afraid to answer one and ask them to repeat the other questions, if it's in retail then they will want someone who can engage with them 😊 

As for what to wear, I just wore black skinny jeans, a black top and a cardi.. I would say if it's a group thing wear what you're comfortable in, but keep it respectful 😊 hope this helps a bit!  <3 also, well done on getting an interview! 😁 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    @BubblesGoesBoo Thank you ! This one defo isn’t just a filler job becuase I love arts and crafts thing and I’m hoping it’s something I’ll get becuase I mean what’s better that’s working somewhere surrounded by things you love 😂
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited August 2019
    As for dress code for interviews, I normally wear black trousers ( like school trousers I guess?) Or grey ones, I wear skinny ones from Primark and there's a website called select that do good formal trousers, kinda like work trousers, with a blouse and on all 3 occasions I aced the interview and got jobs and places in what I was going for. 

Or if you are comfortable to, a smart dress (not to short) with a cardigan and nice shoes!
    Wearing jeans is too casual for most interview environment and unless it's a casual interview or informal, you shouldn't really wear jeans. 
    I'm sure you will ace the interview!

Sorry I'm not much help where, as for the customer experience question, although you haven't had experience in retail, you have had experience in dealing with people ( I know what you do already) there are teens and families involved and in a way they are customers, so you do have communication skills, patience etc.
    As for wanting to work for them,
    Gaining experience, interested in the sector etc etc 

• Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 82 Budding Regular
    Hi @Millie2787,

First of all, congratulations on getting the interview! It can be hard sometimes just to get to this stage and as a bonus its somewhere that fits in great with your lifestyle of being into arts and crafts! 

For what to wear, I'd always recommend over dressing than under-dressing. This is the first thing employers will notice about you and show your interest in the job. If you're you're going to wear jeans I'd suggest black smartish looking ones and a nice blouse. I bought some nice vest ones from primark for a fiver a few weeks ago and they jazz up the jeans a bit along with proper shoes. 

I've had interviews before that seem similar to the one you're going to and I felt overwhelmed myself but they actually tend to structure them really well. It breaks up the process so you dont feel so thrown into everything. When they talk about the company it's a good way for your to get a feel of what they're about as well as them wanting to know you, they want the right employees as well like @BubblesGoesBoo mentioned, they want to find people worth investing in. 

For questions about why you want to work there, just be truthful and tell them what attracts you. Try bringing in some of the crafty bits you enjoy and how interested you are in the things they sell, it will show you're able to talk to customers about the products. 
    You can also look online about the company and say something like "I've seen online you're a good employer to work for because of x,y,z and that's something I want to get involved in." 

You can also look up interview questions online, I had a quick search and a common one for hobby craft was giving an example of bad customer service you're recently recieved and what you would have done differently. Prepping out questions and answers can help you feel more prepared on the day. I also found some bits online that said the demonstration and crafts section you have a lot of freedom with so dont stress about being given too many instructions! Although it may have changed so I'm not entirely sure what the process will be like but I hope this helps a bit  :)

I’m abit confused now on weather I can or can’t wear jeans 😂 
    I’m abit confused now on weather I can or can’t wear jeans 😂 
    I strongly suggest not wearing jeans. It's just not professional. 
    If you have alternatives I'd go with those over jeans but if not then you can dress jeans up. When is your interview? 
    Thursday 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2019
    Hey!

well done for getting the interview!
    others have already gave good suggestions so don't really have much else to say other than the black jeans or not black trouser descion-  wear what you feel comfortable with cause tbh jeans or trouser will not change their mind on whether they would want you as a worker or not. They'd give a uniform code so won't care that much. As long as don't go in something really un formal it's fine lol
    good luck for Thursday. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thank you @Shaunie

Does this look okay to wear , I don’t look too overdressed do I 😂 OML I’m so stressing over this 

You look fine in that. 
    It's best not to wear jeans so what you are wearing is fine! 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    So I had a email last Night to say I’ve been offered an interview , Well one of There group assessment sessions for hobby craft . Don’t get me wrong I’m so excited for this Because I love anything crafty as it helps to settle my anxiety and provide a good distraction for when things are difficult.

i know what’s happening during the session because well the email said we’re have a talk about hobby craft , complete a group activity , have 1-2-1 interviews and have a demonstration and craft sessions. My worry is that there going to give me loads of different instructions or ask me loads of different questions at the same time and I can’t process loads of things all at once ! 

Also The questions I never ever know what to answer is “why do you want to work for us” I remember being asked it for Waitrose and I made a complete mess of it. I’ve also never had details experience before so what do I do if they ask about like “when have you given excellent coustmer service” I remember they put that on the application so I left it blank 😬

and what hat do I wear I have no clue I don’t want to be u dressed which I was for my Waitrose one I rocked up in my college polo shirt and leggings becuase of having to come. From college but then I don’t want to me overdressed and look like an Idoit compared to everyone else in the group 😩

Ughhh im So anxious for it and it’s a late evening one so it’s 5-8pm  
    Hey :)

Firstly, congratulations on getting the interview! They're interested in you, so now's the time to make a good impression!

You say you're worried about lots of different instructions or lots of different questions. I'd let them know beforehand for sure, but wording it in a positive way can help. For example, instead of 'I'd prefer if you could give me instructions/questions one at a time because I can't process it', you might say, 'I'd prefer if you could give me instructions/questions one at a time, as I find this helps me perform my best', or something like that. In both cases, you acknowledge the problem, but rather than presenting it as a limitation, you're presenting yourself as someone who knows how to work around the issue - a key skill in any job!

When it comes to appropriate dress, I usually ask them directly. If you're not sure and want to know what they'd like, there's no better to ask but them! Usually, they'll be happy to let you know - it shows attention to detail. If in doubt, it's better to be overdressed than underdressed. You might feel strange if you're better dressed than needed, but being underdressed can be an instant rejection!

You've mentioned a few questions, so let's go through them:

Why do you want to work for us? This is a classic question, and for good reason - they want to know why you've chosen this company over all the others (even if you've applied to others!). It's a way for them to see your knowledge about the company, and some insight into what motivates you to work. I'd do some research about the company beforehand, and work that into your answer. 

When have you given excellent customer service?

Customer service sounds like a fancy term, but it doesn't have to be a job in particular. As long as you've worked with a customer or client in some way (retail job, care home etc - think creatively!), you've given customer service. The key is to pick a particular event or moment during that time when you showed off that excellent service. Going the extra mile, doing something outside your role description etc can all work! 

Good interviews require good preparation and rehearsal, so make sure you spend time on your answers. And remember to have one or two questions for the interviewer at the end - it's a chance for you to find out more about the company or job, as well as show your interest in the role!

Hope this helps - of course, if you'd like more help, feel free to drop me a PM! Wish you the best of luck on Thursdayx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Thank you @Shaunie

Does this look okay to wear , I don’t look too overdressed do I 😂 OML I’m so stressing over this 

That looks fine. 

And also remember to look at info about hobby craft infor on their website on the about us part. Sometimes they're interested in general stuff you know cause researching about it before go show you're interested. In my interview with primark they asked me what I knew about it or something and then I just like pop in some random facts like how many stores they have and they was pretty impressed cause said I was the only one so far to have research about actual primark
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thank you @Shaunie , I’m also maybe thinking about taking my scrapbook with me that’s got some of my drawings in to show them at the end if they have time , i was also thinking about asking them at the end what they like about working for hobby crafts but I’ve looked up and seen they’ve got 94 stores and  with the first one opening in 1995.
    Thank you @Shaunie , I’m also maybe thinking about taking my scrapbook with me that’s got some of my drawings in to show them at the end if they have time , i was also thinking about asking them at the end what they like about working for hobby crafts but I’ve looked up and seen they’ve got 94 stores and  with the first one opening in 1995.
    I’m really quite worried now that there doing to stare at my arm - I have no cardigan to wear and last night whilst walking Louie bassically came across another dog and I had to pick him up and now I’ve got cuts on my arm that are still really red and I’m worried about having to hide them from them or if they do the werid stare Becuase they look like SH marks. 

Maybe i should just cancel it , I’m just going to end up messing it all up anyways :(
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    I love Hobbycraft @Millie2787, I spend way too much money there! Massive congrats on getting an interview. Everyone has given you some wonderful advice so I won't add too much

I think taking your scrapbook is a great idea to show them what you can do! And I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much about the dog scratches, you could always bring your dog up as a joke and mention it?

Best of luck, you got this! 
    Image result for you got this gif

I don’t think I can I think I’m just going to cancel it I’ll end up making a complete idiot of myself . I don’t know why I apply for jobs when i know I can’t do the interviews :(
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    I can understand that it can be hard @Millie2787, but it sounds like you have put a lot of preparation and work into getting yourself ready for this interview. The questions you mentioned earlier about asking the interviewer were really great!

I don't know what time your interview is at, but sometimes what I find helpful is to run through a "mock" interview with someone close to me. It can sometimes help take the pressure off. 

Best of luck if you do go!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    So I did it lol , after a very stressful 10 minutes before I was meant to be there trying to work out how to get to the entrance which resulted in me screaming at dad to just “Fucking take me home” I managed to do it , all the staff there was really sweet and said I had nothing to be nervous about . It was such a strange interview not like any normal Interview you would go to ! They have another group to do this morning and that we should hear from there as soon as this afternoon but I’m unsure on weather I’ll be offered a job as I caught a glimpse of my feedback sheet from the group activity and it didn’t look too good they picked up on such little things like I didn’t do eye contact 😬
    Well done! I'm so glad you decided to go and the staff were really nice and you found you had nothing to be nervous about. Fingers crossed for you! 
    Well I don’t think I got the job was meant to hear yesterday afternoon and I haven’t heard anything so guess have to wait for the rejection email :(
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    I wouldn't worry that you didn't get the job. It's normal to have interviews that don't go well and jobs you get rejected from. Although, I'd give it a couple of days before being certain you have been rejected.

Instead of thinking this as a rejection, you could try thinking this of this as a learning experience. The fact that you prepared and did the interview is great! Try to give a think over the things you did really well, and the things you might have done less well in. If you are feeling up for it, you could get in touch with the business and ask for feedback?

In doing this, you could learn what to improve on for next time, which should make your next interview so much easier!

Another little bit of advice I have heard a lot is don't just apply for one job. When you hand out a CV or apply for things like retail jobs you want to get a few places. 

You did really good by going to the interview! Be proud of yourself for that :)
  • L100L100 Posts: 128 The Mix Convert
    Don’t worry you just have to keep trying unfortuantly it’s hard I’ve had at least 5 interviews but never was successful and didn’t hear back on some. Im still looking as well.
    Wellll I had the rejection email yesterday :( am pretty sad as I really wanted this job But I don’t know what I did wrong and in the email it said they can’t give individual feedback so now I dont m le where I’m meant to improve if I didn’t know where I went wrong - it’s so hard to somewhere that is enough hours but fits around college aswell
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

Unfortunately that's how it is - most firms won't give any feedback, which doesn't help if we want to improve. But everyone gets many rejections, so don't take to heart. Keep trying and applying, and you'll get a place soon!x

Much love <3