Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thread for the book lovers!

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello all,

so i love reading, i rediscovered my love for reading recently, one book triggered that and its made me so happy!
so im wondering if this thread can be for books you've  and your opinion on the book! i would love to hear what others are reading and see what they think about the book ( kinda like a book club but not book club)
hopefully we can find new books we feel interest in!

I'll start!

The tattooist of  Auschwitz. i discovered this book a while ago and have read it a few times, i love books relating back to events in history, this one was a deep read, emotionally. i always found myself getting wrapped up and wanting to know more about the different people, i know the book is based on the life of a person and how he found and hid a relationship. 
im super excited for the next book to come out, which is about one of the victims in the admin block, it tells her story which i know will be a tough read but i always found myself wondering what happened to the other victims!

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Oohh books I love books though reading can be difficult due to be dyslexic so I gets through 2 maybe 3 books a year. I love to just get totally immersed and lost in a books and you know you’ve done that when you come away from your book and your feeling slightly Disoriented.

The most recent book I finished was perfect summer by Sue Johnson .
    I won’t expect you to have heard of sue as she is a small author local to me and my area. This book set in the future starts off all lovely until summers brother goes missing -He has a disability which is seen to be wrong in this new society as everyone have to be perfect. Further and further you go into this book the more gripped you get until you reach the final few chapters that reveal a sinister plot twist! It’s very rarely I am about to get so into a book that I don’t want to put it down .
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Oohhh and I’ve just started to read  gone girl but not sure on it just yet , feel like it could be quite a confusing book 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oohhh and I’ve just started to read  gone girl but not sure on it just yet , feel like it could be quite a confusing book 

I want to read this one but I haven't brought a copy yet!
    GreenTea said:

Try carboots ! That’s where I found mine and picked up a copy of the girl on the train or even try your local library 
    GreenTea said:

Try carboots ! That’s where I found mine and picked up a copy of the girl on the train or even try your local library 
    Good idea!

I sometimes look in charity shops!
    GreenTea said:
    GreenTea said:

Good idea!

I sometimes look in charity shops!
    Oooh that’s a good idea , the charity shops around by me are abit rubbish though 😂
    Same. Charity shops are rubbish round me too
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    I loved the book of “gone girl” it was a million times better than the fil
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I loved the book of “gone girl” it was a million times better than the fil
     @Jellyelephant I started reading it last night but hmmm not sure weather I csn get into it or not 
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hey @Millie2787 @GreenTea if you don't have much luck finding anything in charity shops, there's always your local car boot sale. I bought the entire Hannibal Lecter series for £5! 
  • Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 82 Budding Regular
    @GreenTea I loved the tattoist of Auschwitz, the pictures at the end had me feeling all kinds of love and heartbreak  <3

Reading hangovers are the best kind of hangover but it's always hard to find another book that lives up just as good. 

I recently read This is going to hurt by Adam Kay and it was a really eye opening read. He actually came to my area for a show not long after I spontaneously bought his book so I got to see his show based on the book and it was amazing. 

Are you reading anything at the moment? 
    edited August 2019

Gonna start reading this and finish it before I go back to work.

Yes I'm still in bed at half 12 in the afternoon. I'm to sad to get up today🙄
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Has anyone read this?

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Just started George Orwells 1984, I feel like the universe has been giving me subtle hints to read this for the last few years so I finally bit the bullet and thought I'd give it a go.

Has anyone else read this? I've only just started it and i find it quite full on in some ways to wrap my head around! 
    Evelyn360 said:

Just started George Orwells 1984, I feel like the universe has been giving me subtle hints to read this for the last few years so I finally bit the bullet and thought I'd give it a go.

Has anyone else read this? I've only just started it and i find it quite full on in some ways to wrap my head around! 
    Not read this but it keeps popping up in a TV series I'm watching on Netflix!
    How's the book?
    Ooh what are you watching? I'm not too far into it at the moment but its pretty good. Mind boggling how he could create such a dystopia that shows reflections in today's society when it was written about 70 years ago! 
  • PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    Great thread idea!

@Evelyn360 I really enjoyed reading 1984 by George Orwell a few years ago, it was very thought-provoking and, as you said, it's amazing how the themes explored in the book are still relevant to the world we live in today. 

I've recently started re-reading Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses series :)
    I keep going to charity shops looking for books! Anyone brought a good book from a charity shop?
    So excited for my new book to come.
    I ordered Cilka's Journey which is based on one of the girls story from the tattooist of Auschwitz
     so excited to read this
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Today I borrowed A Wartime Friend by Lizzie Lane from the library. It is an amazing book and it will help me a lot in history because we are learning about World War Two soon.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
    Started to read "I'm traveling alone" it's... Interesting. Not my cup of tea though
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    I've started reading It's Not Okay to Feel Blue and Other Lies. I keep raving about this book to everyone I'd really recommend reading it. I think there's about 40 people that have shared their mental health journeys in this book and it's really inspiring reading it :) 
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    I'm on the hunt for a new book @Aife, maybe I'll look at that one, it has really good reviews  :)
    Aife said:
    I've started reading It's Not Okay to Feel Blue and Other Lies. I keep raving about this book to everyone I'd really recommend reading it. I think there's about 40 people that have shared their mental health journeys in this book and it's really inspiring reading it :) 
    Sounds like an amazing book. It sounds really inspiring. Maybe I should get it as well. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    GreenTea said:
    Started to read "I'm traveling alone" it's... Interesting. Not my cup of tea though
    Not every book is everyone's cup of tea. My cup of tea is mainly Annie Murray, Roald Dahl and David Walliams.
    Cikra journey. Another heartfelt book following someone from the tattooist of Auschwitz. 
    Seems to be a book I keep passing around for others to read
    Forgot to mention yesterday that the book people have gone into administraton so books are selling cheap on their website. You can get collections for like £8
    https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_home_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxNjDAmC9jF0YT8oQm3GuxFBt1YM2-xIiJkJqtT2AdAOuLwiQPW2zgMaAuQqEALw_wcB
    Ordered 5 new books and are in the post on the way, exciting times!!
    Please just delete this thread. @The Mix