Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self care ideas/boxes

JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
hey guys! 

I never used to believe in self care to help to help me I thought professionals were trying to fob me off but my therapist Meg has been showing me how it can help. I have been using self care to sooth myself and help my mood. I have a scheduled few hours in the evening where I do self care, this might be washing my hair, putting clean sheets on my bed, colouring, listening to music, lighting a nice candle etc. 

One thing that that I love is my self care box. This is a box filled with self care/distraction stuff - it’s so helpful when you’re feeling bad because you don’t have to think about what to do etc because you can just look in your box and pick something. In mine I have fidget toys/stress balls, face masks, moisturiser, nice scents, colouring, puzzles, self harm distraction lists, photos etc. I just look in my box and choose something to do and it’s so useful!!! 

I thought you guys could comment and let us know what you guys put in your boxes? Or what you do for self care? What helps you? 

Xxx
The sun will rise and we will try again 

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    This is my latest find for my box :) I got it from the works for a few pounds today. It feels so good and squishy so it’s a great stress toy! 
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    I love this! My therapist suggested I put together something similar. Here's a few things I've got in my box: 

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture

Ahhh so for me I have 2 tangles- ones and blue pink and clear one ( from The works ) and one is a flowery one (from Wish ) , I also have a Infinity cube and a worm thing ( both from tiger ) , a pink sensory calm down bottle I made with the children at Sunday club and I’m also waiting for some little mesh tubes with marbles in to come from Wish . Ohh and I have a tin of rescue remedy pastilles. I’m slowly hoping to build up a nice little basket of things I can use ! 

Ill take a photo of it all when I get home 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey! Love this idea 

In mine I have:

-A face mask
    -chocolate
    -a spiritual stone thing 
    -hand cream
    -mindfulness book
    -CBT book
    -Mini note pad 
    -Crayons 
    -Colouring book
    -Self harm first aid kit

Going to add in some more stuff that I see other people have too 💗 

I forgot to mention I have bubbles!!! You know the little tubs of bubbles kids have? I have them lol and I blow bubbles in my bedroom haha. I know it’s a bit childish but I love it
    Here's a few other things I have in my box:
    • a tin of Tiger Balm
    • CBT books on overcoming Depression and Anxiety
    • hand sanitizer 
    • Aromatherapy candle
    • microwavable lavender wheatbag
    • pictures of my mum
    Here's a few other things I have in my box:
    • a tin of Tiger Balm
    • CBT books on overcoming Depression and Anxiety
    • hand sanitizer 
    • Aromatherapy candle
    • microwavable lavender wheatbag
    • pictures of my mum
    Ooh what’s tiger balm? X
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    I have nothing, I'm open to people's suggestions 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
    edited June 2019
    Ooh what’s tiger balm? X

It's basically an over-the-counter topical ointment that you can use for mild pain relief. I use it on my temples to soothe tension headaches but it's good for all sorts of things like chest congestion, muscle strain and aches.

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    So this is mine so far 
    ~Colouring book.  ~body butter 
    ~Happy mail.        ~wrist band 
    ~rainbow journal. ~ chewing gum
    ~plain paper and pen ~Streachy man 
    ~calming down cards. ~ sensory bottle 
    ~lip gloss and butter 
    ~Hand gel 
    ~rescue rem
    ~Jacobs ladder
    ~ 2 tangles 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2019
    Have hot chocolate, candles ,did have a rubix cube, breathing exercise written on paper. Mindfullness box. Crisis plan. Nail varnish. Pictures. A watch to respesent and remind me to be in here and now & present moment not thinking about the past.

And I have things that i will not use like a make up brush, headphones (think theyre acrually broke lol) and thats not because i actually use it its to remind me of things i like and my idenitity ect

when i thought my whole idenity was "disgusting" i had two boxes. One was purely self care and distraction boxes and sensory stuff.

The other was things that i could idenitfy myself with and things i enjoy doing. So i had my bike keys, headphones and make up brushes ect and everything like doing. And i also had achievements for things ive done and remind me ofgood stuff and to think more about my idenity and take ownership of pride. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @shaunie

I really like that idea about putting things in that remind you of your identity, i'll have to try that :)
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    I like having different boxes for different emotions (I only identify 3 main emotions so it's not too many boxes for me  =) )

So in my sad box I have things that usually make me happy and remind me of reasons to stay alive. So things like photos of my family and friends and happy memories, snacks healthy and a less healthy ones including something sour for grounding purposes, nice smelling things like candles, distraction games like rubix cube. I also have playlist which I listen to, like a few different ones depending on level of sad like a playlist to stop crying (like rap/grime since I find it hard to cry to it), a motivational to carry on going and living, sad one if I feel like crying to let it out of my system, EDM to get me feeling "pumped".

Angry/ Stressed box: essential oils such as lavender and peppermint, fiddly toys/games such as stress ball, slim or tangle, little notes reminding me to focus on my breathing. Playlist wise a range of mediation walk throughs, calming music or lo-fi music. 

A distraction box: When I'm feeling in a weird way which feels like I'm stuck in a zone which might lead me to sad or annoyed. I have things that distract me such as colouring book, quiz book, some of my favourite recipes to go and make something, my dogs lead to go for a walk. 
    @mags98

Them different boxes seem like a really good idea, i'll have to look into that  <3
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Love all these ideas! One thing I have are photos of good memories, cute cards from my friends and other things from positive times, to remind me that things can get better :)
    @mags98

Them different boxes seem like a really good idea, i'll have to look into that  <3

I've got theirs two stress larma and unicorn which I name self harm prevention duo at the moment, still sorting out an box but it's finding stuff that isn't working to mess around with my medication 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • alice123alice123 Posts: 88 Budding Regular
    Hi @Jellyelephant

I just wanted to say I love this thread - what a great idea! I think I will go and make my own self-care box now so thank you all for the fab ideas of what to include <3
    Got a new fidgit toy yesterday at the science museum in London, some people at school have pointed out something about it and I'm sure you get the idea and that's not what I'm gonna use it for