Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is kleptomania an addiction or just a crime?

lemontreeslemontrees Posts: 1 Just got here
so i'm bipolar, and in my manic episodes i would steal stuff. but then i started to do it all the time, regardless of where my mood was. i just don't know how to tell anyone, because i feel so bad and guilty about it. but i can't stop. i know it's awful and a crime. but i can't stop

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @lemontrees

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling bad and guilty, sounds really tough. To answer your question on addition vs crime, from what I've read and understand - it is an addiction and is classified as a mental health symptom. Here's an article from Addictions UK https://addictionsuk.com/shoplifting-addiction/

Do you think you could talk to your GP about it, given that it forms part of your mental health?

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hello, @lemontrees

How are you feeling today?  <3

It sounds really hard, that you are feeling guilty about some of the things that you have been doing. I agree with @Lucy307 with maybe going to your GP? they could help you to understand things a little bit better,

Butterfly x
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Hey welcome to site

That sounds really frustating and addiction not crime. You said its hard to tell anyone. Well done for sharing here!

i hope youre able to seek help for it as sounds like you really dont want to carry on doing it 

here to support you too
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    LubnaLubna Deactivated Posts: 496 Listening Ear
    An addiction. I had it