Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pride month

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
edited June 2019 in Gender & Sexuality

As I'm sure most of you know that June is pride month and the @The Mix have asked me to do an special post on this,

As some of you know I'm an cis gay male (cis = not transgender) who has been out since August 2018 and this year was my first pride parade experience, I wanted to talk to you all about it,

Now overall the atmosphere was amazing and it was great to meet other people in the community, I had an few issues with getting to pride as I do live in an very closed minded village, meaning instead of going cul to oxf, I had to go cul to did to rdg to oxf to avoid certain individuals,

When I arrived at Oxford just after leaving the station I remember having my rainbow tot bag out and I had two guys shout out load saying "I love the bag babe" which was absolutely amazing,

For Oxford pride, I was surprised by strong police presents all over Oxford that day which was quite reassuring, i went to pride with my boyfriend and a few friends (mostly my boyfriends friends) we spent most of the around exploring all the stalls around and just parade around oxford with all of are rainbows, 

Overall Oxford Pride was amazing and I absolutely loved it, it was an great experience for me and as this Saturday (22/06/19) I will be attending Abingdon Pride festival.   

Now I want to move onto my boyfriend, He's an cis gay male whos came out to his friends but in the closet when with his family, His parents are very homophobic as when i found out when he tried coming out to them, I actually had to talk him down from ending his life, and this was about an month ago

He's perfectly alright and safe now, He's still lives with his parents just back in the closet

Even though my parents have told me I should end it i'm choosing not too as he need someone that is caring and needs someone to come to be away from his parents,

I want to move onto coming out now, so as i've said I came out in August 2018, My parents are really supportive and open minded and have no problem with the LGBTQ+ community but even  though knowing that i still came out to my best friend while on NCS (its an summer programme for 16 or 17 year olds) and then i worked my way alone to my friends on NCS i made and it wasn't until september I came out to my parents, i remember waiting at the hospital for my cardiologist appointment and I said to my mum "Im gay" just completely out of nowhere,

In the nearly an year i've been out as gay, i've experience an lot of stuff and i have no doubt in my mind that i wont have more ups and downs as my life carries on, i'm always here to answer anyone questions that they may have or if their anyone is questioning their gender or sexaulity, i'm always here to talk things through via an thread in "gender and sexuality" or just message me, i will keep everything private and i wont share it.

if their is anyone else in the LGBTQ+ community on his forum that wants to talk im always free,

Much love and Stay Safe 
davcr0ck

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @davcr0ck

So much love for this thread  <3 Sounds like an awesome first pride, and glad that your boyfriend was able to be in a space where he is accepted for who he is :3

It got me thinking, if someone was in the same position you were before Oxford Pride, what would be the 3 top tips you would tell them to help them feel more confident to attend a pride event? Likewise, what were the things that made it feel easier for you to come out to those close to you? Interested in other people's thoughts too :)

Ed
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hey @davcr0ck

I'm so glad that you made it to your first ever Pride without too many hurdles. I've been attending for 8 years now but I'll never forget that first ever experience of celebration and acceptance. <3
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @Ed_

So three things I would say to anyone thats wanting to go pride event, 

1) 
    Dont be afraid to be yourself, if your thing is to go out and wear drag, then do it, if your scared then bring an friend along or just come as yourself, 

2)
    You will be safe at pride, as the time I've posted this I would of been to two pride events, if your not feeling so confident, then ask an friend to come alone too, I'm sure theirs someone out their that will come along with you

3)
    Being something from home, as strange as this sounds, when I went to oxford pride, I brought my penis plush with me (yes an strange teddy) but it helped to keep my axiety down 

When it came to coming out, I found that telling my best friend first more supportive and then moving onto my parents, I feel like it wouldn't of been able to do so straight to my parents,

Come out to whoever you feel comfortable with and make sure their not phobics as well, if you do decide to come out to your parents first then make sure you have an plan as your parents may be in denial at first so if you can go to an friends for an few hours that can make the difference. 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I absolutely love this thread. Thank you so much for sharing and I am so glad you had a positive experience. I would love to hear how Abdingdon Pride was! :heart:
    Hey @coc0mac

Abingdon pride was alright, it was quite small we kind of got an bit bored but their was an few stands around, it didn't help that it was also the food and drink festival the other side of the river so it was kind of all the gays one side and then the straights homophones stayed at the food festival and then we went off to the park and just relaxed and talking in the part, then four of us went round an friends an friends house and ate pizza and watched queer eye and then two of the gay dude started kissing which was sweet and heartwarming to see but also an little saddening as i dont have the confidence to do that same with my boyfriend.

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Late to the party but haven't attended any prides yet,  the local one is in August but can't wait! 

My sexuality is quite a fluid subject,  I sort of go with the flow and date who I like haha I am a pretty straight female but have a very genderqueer sense of style,  quite androgynous at times.  But I'm a huge ally!  

Sorry to hear they basically split you guys and the others on one side that's no fun :/ 
    Hope you had a good time regardless! And that you and your boyfriend are doing well x 😊

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    im off to Reading pride this year too with some friends, i think its the 31st of august, i can't remember