Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Flash backs

dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
Trigger warning- sexual abuse and rape

ive been having really bad flashbacks recently. when i was younger i was raped by my father nearly every night, untill i was 11, then at weekends till i was 13. ive been getting really bad flashbacks from it please help.

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey. 

Thanks for sharing and being able to be open.  That does sound really hard and an awful thing to go through. 

Have you received help from this trauma before?

i dont know much about how to stop flashbacks but grounding techniques sounds like it could help. Have you tried that?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Hi Tori,

A lot of people find doing some grounding techniques can help when it comes to having flashbacks, It can help to bring them back to the present. Some of the things that get suggested to me are ;
    1. Smelling something strong such as a scented candle
    2. Rustling some paper or a crisp packet 
    3. Using my sense to help - Heres a good article on different activities you can do 
    Have you maybe thought about speaking to your GP about the flashbacks, they may be able to refer you on for some counselling or therapy that could help 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hello <3 

I personally haven't had experience with flashbacks but the advice that @Millie2787 and @Shaunie both gave sounds good so worth a try! I can understand that it must feel really isolating and upsetting though and keep using the mix of you find it is helping :)

I hope things get easier for you soon,

Butterfly x
  • dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
    Shaunie said:
    Hey. 

Thanks for sharing and being able to be open.  That does sound really hard and an awful thing to go through. 

Have you received help from this trauma before?

i dont know much about how to stop flashbacks but grounding techniques sounds like it could help. Have you tried that?
    Yes i have had help for it, but unfortunately my local metal health services wont take me and i cant afford private.
    Hi Tori,

A lot of people find doing some grounding techniques can help when it comes to having flashbacks, It can help to bring them back to the present. Some of the things that get suggested to me are ;
    3. Using my sense to help - Heres a good article on different activities you can do 
    Have you maybe thought about speaking to your GP about the flashbacks, they may be able to refer you on for some counselling or therapy that could help 
    Thank you, i do some grounding, but most things havn't worked unfortunately. my GP knows about it, and is trying to convince the mental health team to take me back, but they dont want anything to do with me because of how complex my mental health is.
    Hello <3 

I personally haven't had experience with flashbacks but the advice that @Millie2787 and @Shaunie both gave sounds good so worth a try! I can understand that it must feel really isolating and upsetting though and keep using the mix of you find it is helping :)

I hope things get easier for you soon,

Butterfly x
    Thank you. <3

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    Hi Tori,

Thank you, i do some grounding, but most things havn't worked unfortunately. my GP knows about it, and is trying to convince the mental health team to take me back, but they dont want anything to do with me because of how complex my mental health is.
    Hey :) 

Do you not have a complex mental health team in your area that could take you on? Might be worth having a google to see if that’s a option in your area ❤️
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Hi Tori,

Hey :) 

Do you not have a complex mental health team in your area that could take you on? Might be worth having a google to see if that’s a option in your area ❤️
    hey, unfortunately there isn't much available around where i live, not many options, only other option is to go inpaitent
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Tori

That is really disappointing the Mental health services wont take you.  Takes a lot to reach out. Have you thought about finding charities in your local area who might help?

how are you doing? Hope youre okay & we're here to support you x
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Hey Tori

That is really disappointing the Mental health services wont take you.  Takes a lot to reach out. Have you thought about finding charities in your local area who might help?

how are you doing? Hope youre okay & we're here to support you x
    hey shaunie,
    unfourtunatly there isnt many charitys localy that can help me, i live in a rural are and resourses are few and far between. 

Tori