Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Forum descriptions: what should they do?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
edited May 2019 in General Chat
Hey lovely people,

We haven't updated or looked at the forum descriptions in an incredibly long time, and we thought it might be time to blow the dust off them and give them a new feel. We want you all to help us do that. :)

The first thing we want to know is: what purpose should these descriptions serve?

Currently, some are more informative and let people know what the forum is for:

And some are a bit more fun/abstract, and function more as flavour text:

What do you prefer? There's a poll on this post - vote for what you think.

Once we've decided this, we can look at exactly what those descriptions should say. :)

Mike & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Forum descriptions: what should they do? 8 votes

Forum descriptions should be fun/abstract
12%
Jellyelephant 1 vote
Forum descriptions should be informative and tell you what the forum is for
37%
JustVAbigailKathleen07 3 votes
We should try and do both
50%
AifeRileyDancerLubna 4 votes

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Oh god... I don't really know :p Thing is, I like both. Making them informative feels useful and organised, but at the same time, making them fun is relaxing and humorous. So my opinion is feel free do either x
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Oh god... I don't really know :p Thing is, I like both. Making them informative feels useful and organised, but at the same time, making them fun is relaxing and humorous. So my opinion is feel free do either x
    Thanks @kathleen0172, it's good to hear your thoughts. :) It definitely doesn't need to be just one or the other.

Feel free to vote for the 'we should try to do both' option. :+1:   

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
    Thank you @The Mix :)

After giving it some serious thought, I finally decided to vote for "forum descriptions should be informative and tell you what the forum is for". I honestly like both ideas, though.

Another thing I had just thought of is that sometimes people will post in the wrong forum - and won't bother reading the information about it, or won't see it. So having informative descriptions may help people understand where to post.

I didn't really feel like voting for "we should try both", because it feels disorganised to me, haha. I was wondering if there could be a way that you could compromise, by making them informative but also trying to add a slightly fun or abstract edge? Don't ask me how you'd do that because I don't know, it was just a thought that came up :lol:
    edited June 2019
    I didn't really feel like voting for "we should try both", because it feels disorganised to me, haha. I was wondering if there could be a way that you could compromise, by making them informative but also trying to add a slightly fun or abstract edge? Don't ask me how you'd do that because I don't know, it was just a thought that came up :lol:
    Yep, this is exactly what we mean by 'we should try and do both'. :) Adding a fun/light slant to something that's mainly there to be descriptive and let people know what the forum is for. Like you said, to avoid those moments where people post in the wrong areas. Really appreciate the insight @kathleen0172.

----
    Thanks everyone!

So, it looks like we're leaning pretty heavily in favour of being descriptive and informative, with a bit of humour in there too. Look out for part 2 of this where we'll go into more detail and decide what each forum should say... :)

Mike & the team

The Mix said:
    Yep, this is exactly what we mean by 'we should try and do both'. :) Adding a fun/light slant to something that's mainly there to be descriptive and let people know what the forum is for. Like you said, to avoid those moments where people post in the wrong areas. Really appreciate the insight @kathleen0172.
    Ohh, sorry, I thought that meant the way it is now - with some informative ones and some fun ones :p Lol.
    The Mix said:
    Ohh, sorry, I thought that meant the way it is now - with some informative ones and some fun ones :p Lol.
    In fairness, that wasn't very clear on our part! Glad you mentioned it @kathleen0172. :tongue:   

Mike & the team