Home Work & Study It's Exam Time The Class of The Past
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Upcoming end of year science exam

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
edited April 2021 in The Class of The Past
I feel really really nervous and stressed about my upcoming science exam. It is the end of year exam so this test works out what set you will be in for science in year 9 and also if you can do triple science for gcse's. There are questions about so many topics: health, lifestyle, ecosystem processes, adaptation, inheritance, the periodic table (yay,) separation techniques, metals, acids, electricity, magnetism, energy, motion and pressure. I feel like that is way too much to study in 17 days. 17 days might seem like a lot but it isn't really to me.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Post edited by Emma_ on

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kasa2103

I remember how much I worried before exams too - especially science because it covers SO MUCH - so sending hugs <3 have you spoken to your teacher about your concerns? I always found that doing practice papers helped my nerves and, a lot of the time, they recycle the same questions from them. Do you have access to doing anything like that? Or anything else you can do to help break down how big the subject is?

- Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited May 2019
    Hey Kasa

It's understandable that you're so nervous and stressed, I'm sorry to hear this <3 And that does sound like a lot to study ahah.

Is there anything that helps you study or decreases your nerves? I find gentle piano music is great when I need to focus or keep calm, for example. It can also help to make sure you're giving yourself a break, maybe take a walk in the fresh air or do something you enjoy. And we're here to support you x

Take care of yourself bud, and let us know how you get on, if you like <3
  • Options
    Thanks for the hugs and kind messages @Lucy307 and @kathleen0172 I find that using Kerboodle (an amazing science and GCSE French website,) looking through previous exam papers, speaking to older students (mainly year 10-13,) making posters and using the Activate books work a lot for me. It is more fun to use Kerboodle and make posters. I will make sure I tell everyone about how it went. I actually have my results for my mid-year exams. It was a level 5B which is really good for me. I got the highest grade in the whole class according to everyone. It was a really big achievement to even be able to get a grade as I have had 2 tests in the past that were ungraded because I had ridiculously low marks. I learn from my mistakes. Hopefully I will get a level 6A like I did in year 7. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Aah I remember Kerboodle - a great resource. :) Cool to see you using it @Kasa2103. It sounds like you aced your mid-year exam, so well done.

Totally agree with you and @Lucy307 on how the broadness of these exams can feel a bit ridiculous. Exams like that (or any exams) are arguably a pretty bad way to test your learnings! In one of my GCSE maths exams our teacher made us spend most of our time revising histograms because he was convinced it would come up, then it didn't and we felt a bit cheated. In some ways it's just luck of the draw.

I'd also second what @kathleen0172 said about taking care of yourself. Taking breaks and not burning yourself out is super important for learning things well and retaining information. It's great that you've found methods of learning and revising that you enjoy - I imagine that helps?

Best of luck and do keep us updated. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Mike said:
    Aah I remember Kerboodle - a great resource. :) Cool to see you using it @Kasa2103. It sounds like you aced your mid-year exam, so well done.

Totally agree with you and @Lucy307 on how the broadness of these exams can feel a bit ridiculous. Exams like that (or any exams) are arguably a pretty bad way to test your learnings! In one of my GCSE maths exams our teacher made us spend most of our time revising histograms because he was convinced it would come up, then it didn't and we felt a bit cheated. In some ways it's just luck of the draw.

I'd also second what @kathleen0172 said about taking care of yourself. Taking breaks and not burning yourself out is super important for learning things well and retaining information. It's great that you've found methods of learning and revising that you enjoy - I imagine that helps?

Best of luck and do keep us updated. :)

Thanks Mike. Kerboodle is really helping me a lot. Today I managed to revise 6 topics in detail in 30 minutes thanks to that amazing website. And yes it was in detail with no cheating. :wink: What was the exact point of you wasting all that time doing histograms then. I can't blame you all for feeling a bit cheated. I would feel that way too if that happened to me.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

I find Quizlet is really useful for flashcards. Some people find it useful for revision, so I'd take a look! Best of luck - I'm sure you'll do well!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.