Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another decision I don't want to take.

NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
So my (best and only) friend is inviting me, like the past 2 years to a convention. I have social anxiety, I don't like crowded places, nor do I like hanging out in groups, especially when I don't know anyody but 1 person. She really wants me to come with her 6 other friends. Honestly, I don't want to. I don't want to because there are other people. I want to spend time with her but this is very stressful for me. I don't know if I should accept or not. We don't spend much time together as she lives in a different city as me, so I feel like I should make an effort to go, but I really don't know. It is very frustrating to have to chose between felling okay and your friend. Any advice ?
“You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.” 
-Hayao Miyazaki
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hi bud x

I can get it being frustrating, situations like this are pretty tough.

If part of you did want to go but you felt unsure, I'd suggest trying to push past the anxiety if you thought you could. But you said you honestly don't wanna go, so... I think if you're too uncomfortable going, say you appreciate the invite and would go if it was different, but you'd find it too stressful - I'm sure she'll get that. You could always offer to spend time with her some other way.

Of course it's up to you :-) Just know that there's no need to feel guilty if you want to decline.

xo
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes its not healthy to push your anxiety too much. You need to take care of yourself & do what you think is right. If you think youd feel so bad by it. Its okay to say no. But do understand you want to spend time with her. Maybe you could make other arrangements?

Hope youre okay today?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi,

It's hard to make a decision like that. Have you told your friend about your social anxiety? It might help her understand your situation and that it's not that you don't want to spend time with her but you struggle in those situations. You could suggest to meet in a more chilled environment so you still spend time with her.