Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Half the world away

MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
edited February 2019 in Sex & Relationships
Hey guys,

I was in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend for about 5 months when I studied abroad for a term.

I found it really hard having to keep in touch just over the internet, but we managed to make it work in the end.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else been in a long distance relationship?
If so, are you still in one now and do you think it has positively or negatively impacted your relationship?

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited February 2019
    Interesting topic. :) 

I don't mind sharing my experiences here. I was in a LDR with someone for about three years - we were like a 9 hour train journey away or something ridiculous. She wasn't abroad, but may as well have been. :tongue: 

Totally agree with it being tough to keep in touch just over the internet. For us, daily text communication was super important, and we regularly video called as well. I think the distance made us appreciate the time we did have together a lot more - we almost never fought in person.

We did break up in the end, and I think part of that was because there wasn't really an end in sight; we didn't have a solid plan to move in together. That said, I do think we probably would have broken up regardless. We were very different people and I do wonder if the distance between us masked some underlying issues that would have become much more prevalent if we lived closer. And we kinda just ended up on different trajectories with life.

Generally, it was a very intense relationship. The highs were incredibly high and the lows were very low. No regrets, but probably not something I'd do again with the life I have now. :) 

How far were you from your boyfriend, @MsBingo? How did you both deal with that?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.