Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Makeup chat!

michelle_makeupmichelle_makeup Posts: 12 Expert
edited January 2019 in General Chat

Hi everyone,

My name is Michelle and I have been a makeup artist for a year and a half now. I mainly do evening and bold, colourful makeup. During support chat a few community members and I decided that a makeup discussion would be a good idea for us makeup lovers to come together and share our favourite products as well as an opportunity for anyone to ask me any makeup related questions :) 

@The Mix  posted this thread last week with all the info about how this will work. In short, post your questions or comments below ready for tomorrow. I’ll be online from 6:30-8:30pm Thursday to answer any questions specifically for me and get involved in the discussion with you guys.

I hope we can all use this space to help eachother and have share our common love of makeup!

Thanks,

Michelle :)

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    This is exciting!!

How many questions? I hope didnt put too many. Did delete some ah

Do you have any liquid foundations you recommend?
    Have you ever tried to clean a beuty blender in the microwave?
    How do i get my eyebrows looking like Kendall Jenner’s? Ha
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Shaunie  

Some great questions here :) Do ask as many questions as you would like, but perhaps it's worth saying which are your priority questions so that Michelle can get to those first? 
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    i am soooooooo excited

ok so my questions so far are:
    how do you cover up red skin??? 
    whats the best powder to absorb sweat (gross sorry lol)
    how do you blend eyeshadow and how far up your eyelid should you take your eyeshadow? like do you go all the way to ur eyebrow lol and if not where do you end it
    My eyeliner (i use a pen one cos i couldnt get the hang of drawing it on any other way lol) rubs onto my eyelids after a bit, how do i stop thiis happening??? im ending up with a random black line on my eyelid lol 
    how do you know where to apply the highlighter???? 
    how do you do a great smokey eye????
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    oh and what are your top 5 must have products???
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    What inspired you to be a makeup artist?
    What colours are best on pale skin?
    Was I one of the people with the ideas for the expert chat?
    Any safety tips for applying makeup?
    Is mascara or foundation the best? My opinion is mascara.

"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    What’s the best thing for Covering up dark circles under the eyes ?
    is it better to apply foundation with or without primer ?
    what Lipstick and eyeshadow  colour is best for people with super Pale skin ?
    Hows best to clean beauty Blenders ? 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Does makeup damage your skin over time or is that a rumor? 
    How do you make your profile picture so beautiful?
    What is your favourite colour lipstick?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    do you use much cruelty free make-up? if so what ones do you recommend ?
    also what foundation do you recommended for the vampire complexion? lol, all foundation seems to dark for me :lol:
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    87 minutes to go! ☺
    What makeup is best for Christmas?
    Whats your faviourate drugstore brand? 

Why do my eyes look like actual mud when i try “smokey eye lid” look. Lol. 

Are you suppose to use bronzer to contour? Or is that only used a lil bit as suppose to be for shadow look thing?(if that doesnt make sense ignore me. Ha)
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    And concealer or foundation first?
    I miss you michelle please come back to chat !!!!!!!!!!
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I second the question about what's good to cover bags under your eyes. 

Also.  Is there any makeup you reccomend for doing like natural looks?  I haven't been able to do it as good I had at my sisters wedding 😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    Hello.
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey all, 

Loving the enthusiasm and excitement here, and so many questions :) hate to be the barer of bad news, but due to some unforseen circumstances, we are having to postpone this AMA tonight. We will be looking to rearrange this though, so do keep adding questions to this thread. It may just be in the new year that you get your make up tips.

Chat is on as usual, so hop on over there :)

Ed
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Thanks for letting us know @Ed_ Hopefully Michelle is ok.
    so sad i was lookin forward to this soooooo much..... hope ur ok michelle! <3
  • michelle_makeupmichelle_makeup Posts: 12 Expert
    Hello everyone,
    Im really sorry for the huge delay in answering everyones questions. There was an unexpected reason as to why I wasn't able to post but I am back now and very excited to finally talk about makeup ! Im hoping to try and respond to everyones posts individually and give as much help as possible <3 thank you all for your questions and excitement x
    Shaunie said:
    This is exciting!!

How many questions? I hope didnt put too many. Did delete some ah

Do you have any liquid foundations you recommend?
    Have you ever tried to clean a beuty blender in the microwave?
    How do i get my eyebrows looking like Kendall Jenner’s? Ha
    @Shaunie thank you for being excited ! 
    1. I think liquid foundation recommendations depend on your skin type, budget and how much coverage you want. I tend to always use high coverage and put less on or only put it in certain areas if I'm having a good skin day :) 
    fave low price foundations - Loreal true match, milani 2 in 1 foundation and concealer 
    fave high end- Nars natural radiant longwear, huda beauty faux filter, jouer essential high coverage

2.yes i have! i put it in a small bowl with about two inches of water and some fairy liquid. it works but when you go to squeeze it out be very careful but the water inside the beauty blender is boiling !

3. if you mean you want fluffy and natural looking brows use something like the benefit precisely my brow pencil and do very thin and light handed strokes . Also don't clean the edges up with concealer as it'll look very sharp which is not how kendalls are :) 
    i am soooooooo excited

ok so my questions so far are:
    how do you cover up red skin??? 
    whats the best powder to absorb sweat (gross sorry lol)
    how do you blend eyeshadow and how far up your eyelid should you take your eyeshadow? like do you go all the way to ur eyebrow lol and if not where do you end it
    My eyeliner (i use a pen one cos i couldnt get the hang of drawing it on any other way lol) rubs onto my eyelids after a bit, how do i stop thiis happening??? im ending up with a random black line on my eyelid lol 
    how do you know where to apply the highlighter???? 
    how do you do a great smokey eye????

@Jellyelephant Hi jelly! Ill answer these questions short and sweet so i can answer all

1. use a concealer first (low end- maybelline eraser eye concealer, collection lasting perfection concealer. high end- huda beauty overachiever concealer, nars soft matte concealer)
    2. laura mercier translucent powder for home, but on to the go to put in your bag the rimmel insta fix and matte powder translucent 
    3. I have quite hooded eyelids so i take my eyeshadow up quite high. I put the darkest shade directly in the crease and slightly above it (for example a dark brown) then i use a fluffier brush and a lighter brown and blend it higher up towards my brow bone. i don't all the way to eyebrow i stop just before so you can see some of my skin colour just under my brow
    4. Maybe change the eyeliner? The kat von D one is one of the best and doesn't transfer at all. also try setting your eyelids with powder first so they don't get oily and smudge the eyeliner.
    5. i put it on the inner corners of my eye, brow bone (sometimes), tiny amount on cupids bow and then on the top of my cheek bone. i don't go too far in though on my cheek bone as it can accentuate texture on the skin
    6. I only really do very dark shades in the crease and lower lash line, i don't really do dark lids as i feel it can look quite messy. try it that way :)

oh and what are your top 5 must have products???
    @Jellyelephant foundation (hourglass stick), concealer (tarte shape tape- but its so hard to get hold of), bronzer (Mac- give me sun). this is quite a dark/ orange shade but it works with my skin colour.  mascara (loreal paradise) and a nude lipliner/ lipstick

Kasa2103 said:
    What inspired you to be a makeup artist?
    What colours are best on pale skin?
    Was I one of the people with the ideas for the expert chat?
    Any safety tips for applying makeup?
    Is mascara or foundation the best? My opinion is mascara.

1. I started wearing makeup at a really young age like 12/13 after i saw my mum. i started off using my mums and low end makeup and then when i older i realised i loved it as a hobby and was always willing to learn. Its the one thing i enjoy and (i think) am good at

2. do you mean in terms of lips, eyes, blusher ? 
    3.  I believe you were yes ! Thank you :)
    4. do not use anything sharp near your eyes unless you're super confident and relaxed (e.g. tweezers to apply fake lashes)
    5. i think it depends on the person! For me its foundation as I don't have great skin. But for people who are confident in their skin, id say mascara !
    What’s the best thing for Covering up dark circles under the eyes ?
    is it better to apply foundation with or without primer ?
    what Lipstick and eyeshadow  colour is best for people with super Pale skin ?
    Hows best to clean beauty Blenders ? 

1. you have to use eye cream in the morning and evening! the best is keihls midnight recovery eye but its quite pricey so a good alternative is body shop. this will moisturise the under eye so that concealer looks plump and creases less. 
    low end- collection lasting perfection or maybelline eraser eye. 
    high end- huda beauty over achiever or tarte shape tape (which is hard to get a hold of). 

three tips-
    use a brush to blend it out as opposed to a damp sponge as that will soak up some of the product and remove coverage. use a colour close to your skin tone- many use a colour that's a lot lighter and this can mix with the darkness of the under eyes and look grey, whereas something closer to your skin colour keeps it warm. lastly, use a couple of layers. apply one layer, let it dry whilst you do foundation then apply an other and set it with powder

2.i personally don't believe in primers unless you're super oily and like a mattifying primer on the t- zone.
    3. lipstick- yash by mac or unclothed by rimmel. i think any eyeshadow will look good but maybe not a super dark black smokey eye. golds and coppers are lovely!

4. i use the beauty blender liquid cleaner 
    Kasa2103 said:
    Does makeup damage your skin over time or is that a rumor? 
    How do you make your profile picture so beautiful?
    What is your favourite colour lipstick?
    @Kasa2103 1.i wouldn't say it damages your skin but i would say it clogs your skin. especially if you don't take it off properly. so its best to use non-comedogenic makeup and skincare and ensure you remove it properly at the end of the day. 
    2. thank you! i just practice :)
    3. mine is nude! i love using a dark brown lipliner line bourgois contour edition lip liner in 14 sweet brown-ie  with MAC velvet teddy.
    for a lighter skin colour MAC spice lip liner and yash lipstick is a lovely too 
    do you use much cruelty free make-up? if so what ones do you recommend ?
    also what foundation do you recommended for the vampire complexion? lol, all foundation seems to dark for me :lol:
    1. I try to where I can ! 
    milani (foundation), too faced (foundation and concealer), urban decay (lip products and eye glitters), Kat von D (contour and liquid eyeliner). body shop (brushes and skincare) hope that helps !

2. companies have gotten a lot better recently tbh! I think it may be best to look online as boots and superdrug may not stock them in store even though the companies make them.
    loreal true match and nars have great shade ranges :)

Shaunie said:
    Whats your faviourate drugstore brand? 

Why do my eyes look like actual mud when i try “smokey eye lid” look. Lol. 

Are you suppose to use bronzer to contour? Or is that only used a lil bit as suppose to be for shadow look thing?(if that doesnt make sense ignore me. Ha)
    @Shaunie for foundation - loreal. concealer- collection. blusher- milani. lipsticks- rimmel. lip liner- barry M and bourgois. barry M have good loose glitters too!

hmm maybe you need to use colours that have more of a contrast. also what eyeshadows do you use?

bronzer is to warm up the skin overall and look more sun kissed. contour is slightly darker and more cool toned and is meant to mimic a shadow to make your cheekbones look more defined or nose etc
    Shaunie said:
    And concealer or foundation first?
    i do concealer first. only because if your concealer isn't the EXACT same shade as your foundation then you may be able to see patches of concealer ontop of your foundation
    Laine said:
    I second the question about what's good to cover bags under your eyes. 

Also.  Is there any makeup you reccomend for doing like natural looks?  I haven't been able to do it as good I had at my sisters wedding 😂
    @Laine i responded to the under eye circles question! i hope you find it useful :)
    yes! try and use more cream products and less powders. like cream blush and bronzer. also use a setting spray like MAC Fix + as this will ass moisture back into the skin and settle the powders, giving you and over all more 'glowy' look
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    What's the best way to deal with oily skin and how do you make makeup last  😭