Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni and autism

casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi
Im a student in their first year at uni and just wondering how people with autism find it? Like do you find it gets easier with time or does it get harder? Do you have any support mechanisms in place that work for you or help you? 

Any advice would be much appreciated it really would x

Casscub
"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" 
Lyndon B.Johnson 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey Casscub,

You've taken a really positive step to reach out here for advice and support. How are things going at uni? Are you receiving any support at the moment? 

I found an article on the Ambitious about Autism website about some people's experiences of uni. They talk a bit about the type of support they got at uni and how it helped them. I hope you find it helpful to read through :) 

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    edited October 2018
    Aife said:
    Hey Casscub,

You've taken a really positive step to reach out here for advice and support. How are things going at uni? Are you receiving any support at the moment? 

I found an article on the Ambitious about Autism website about some people's experiences of uni. They talk a bit about the type of support they got at uni and how it helped them. I hope you find it helpful to read through :) 

:+1:

Things haven't been great at uni in the last 3 days I've done some really stupid and dangerous things. One of which resulted in security being called to talk me down from harming myself. And then them giv8ng me first aid on Tuesday night as well. It's just not going great that way. Other than that lectures are going really well and things are what I thought they would be.

Thank you for the articles I will deffinatly have a read of them :)

Casscub
    Post edited by JustV on
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @casscub

I'm sorry to hear things haven't been great at uni. It sounds like you've been really struggling recently. Would you like to tell us a bit more about what's been going on? 

There are lots of support options for you if you're struggling, remember you're not alone and there are people around to help you. Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling?

Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
    Aife said:
    Hey @casscub

I'm sorry to hear things haven't been great at uni. It sounds like you've been really struggling recently. Would you like to tell us a bit more about what's been going on? 

There are lots of support options for you if you're struggling, remember you're not alone and there are people around to help you. Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling?

Hey Aife

I've been self harming really badly and to a point where friday it required hospital treatment. I also tried to end my life at uni during the day. The rest of the week i had just been self harming and contenplating if i was worthy to still be here. It was friday when i concluded that i wasnt. Last sunday as well i ended up at the hospital because i wasnt safe at the same time. 

Im okay now though still self harming but managing a bit better. 

Im under CMHT but being discharged from there soon. My GP doesnt know because of being under the mental health team but do get regular updates on me.

Thanks for replying to me makes a change to be heard :) 

Casscub
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Casscub, Sorry. I dont have anything helpful to say but wanted to reply.
    But wish i could help more.

How are you feeling about being dischArged from CMHT?

Am sorry to hear you was feelig suicidal. Youre definetly worthy of being alive. Just like everyone else. But Glad youre managing bit better now though & hope you still are. And i hope uni gets easier with time for you. 

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Shaunie said:
    Hey Casscub, Sorry. I dont have anything helpful to say but wanted to reply.
    But wish i could help more.

How are you feeling about being dischArged from CMHT?

Am sorry to hear you was feelig suicidal. Youre definetly worthy of being alive. Just like everyone else. But Glad youre managing bit better now though & hope you still are. And i hope uni gets easier with time for you. 

Hey Shaunie,

Its okay i dont mind how much or how little support you give. 

Im feeling pretty positive although after today dont know that they will still discharge me now. 

Its okay I am glad i am alive and am a bit better now although after today not really. 

I hope it does too.

Casscub
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert

Hi @casscub.

I've read all threads- and can ee your struggle, and can relate. I am a second year student with Autism as well.

I cam compeltley relate, I experienced a relapse in self harm and suicidal thoughts... I booked an emergency appt with my practice but they gave me another doc, who then emergency booked me in with my usual GP and went through like that... I struggled to stay safe in uni as well and just felt so rubbish,... I used to let out by talking it through with my support staff from sixthform (via email) and my friend... and then from then... anytime I never felt safe I just used to return home at the earliest point sometimes not going in but then I always got/still am getting told for it....

I think what would be most helpful, is having a 'safe place' to calm down and unwind-that may help you? And if it's ideal, CMHT might be able to help you, talk it through with them and see what they suggest?

Talk to uni- can they offer anything- I'm sure they know about things after some of the incidents.... I really hope your uni are better than mine- Keep pushing with them!!

Keep going, day at a time...

Inmi

Hi @Invisible_me

I do have a safe place that i can go to at uni when distressed or in a state which is student services. They are really good and know how to help me when im in a state or really distressed. CMHT only want to put me on meds and discharge me when recently its just been crisis after crisis at college resulting in hospital trips.

Casscub
    Lyndon B.Johnson 
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    casscub said:
    Hi @Invisible_me

I do have a safe place that i can go to at uni when distressed or in a state which is student services. They are really good and know how to help me when im in a state or really distressed. CMHT only want to put me on meds and discharge me when recently its just been crisis after crisis at college resulting in hospital trips.

Casscub

Hi @Casscub.

That's good to hear! Do you find it helpful- I'm guessing yes!.... Do you have appts with them?

With regards to CMHT unfortunately, that's what some professionals think that medication is all the answer often it's far from it. How do you feel about being discharged? Surely, they should have the sense to see that you are struggling as they should ideally know about your 'crises' and hospital trips and to support you, discharge isn't the answer... Maybe you need to advocate ths.

Take care,