Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Things Got Kind of Weird with my Housemate

TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
Hello everyone,
Right now I'm feeling kind of awkward and anxious about something that happened last night. I went out drinking with a friend I've been living with for a year and things took kind of an unexpected turn. 

As a bit of background, we met on the day we first moved into university and I guess we kind of stuck together because we didn't have many friends and didn't want to do everything alone. We lived in the same accommodation and we spent a fair amount of time together, but we're both pretty introverted and shy so it could be kind of awkward and I never really felt like we were that close. This year we moved into a house with two other girls who both lived here last year. 

Last night we decided to go out for a drink while it's Fresher's Week. We both got quite drunk and were more confident and talkative than usual, so we both ended up admitting that we're bi. I admitted that I had been having problems in my relationship as my boyfriend is a lot more physical than me, and we met him at the SU and she admitted that she thought his actions were a bit creepy and that she wouldn't like them either. 

I think we left the bar just a bit later than we originally intended and we took a drink for the road. We then carried on drinking when we got back. We decided to play a drinking game and ended up playing Never Have I Ever. This lead to us mainly talking about relationships, and we basically just admitted that neither of us are really that experienced in certain ways. 

Things got kind of hazy after a while because I was pretty drunk, but I think she mentioned something about not really thinking of us as friends. She kept asking me what I thought of her while we were talking about relationships, and I remember trying to skirt around the questions because I felt like she was trying to see if I had a crush on her or something. At some point she took her trousers off, and I did the same shortly after because I was covered by my shirt and by blankets anyway and I felt like my trousers were making me cramp. I brought up the time I accidentally walked into her room while she was half-naked, and she commented that she didn't really mind. 

We ended up cuddling on the sofa, which is kind of weird considering we had never really had a lot of physical contact with each other before that moment. At some point I joked that I'd struggle to walk up all the stairs to get to bed because I live in the loft room, and she suggested that I stay in her room as her room is on the ground floor. We ended up sleeping next to each other and I know that she was cuddling into me at some point. I got woken up earlier than I wanted by my alarm because I was too drunk to set it properly, and not long after I rushed to the bathroom because I started having these stabbing pains in my sides and felt like I was going to throw up (although I didn't in the end).  I had to leave not long after I got up so I didn't really see her this morning other than to quickly say hi and to get the stuff that I left in her room.

I just feel like the friendship has gone further than I thought it would. I really never expected us to end up doing something like this from how reserved we seemed to be around each other before. The worst thing I did while we drank together before that was sing a really annoying song, so I definitely didn't expect us to both randomly take our trousers off together. I'm kind of scared to talk to her now in case things are awkward, but even if I manage to avoid her all weekend, we go shopping together on Sunday anyway.

Sorry for the long post. I just had to get that out there because I've been feeling kind of embarrassed about the whole thing and it's gotten me down today. 

Comments

• peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    Hey TheAprilFool,

Sounds like your relationship with your housemate has escalated very quickly!!

It could be helpful to talk to your housemate about what happened. Since you’ve said you’re both quite introverted and quiet, I’m sure your feelings of embarrassment and awkwardness are mutual.

It’s not unusual for people to do things they might regret while there’re drunk and less restrained in their actions. Maybe this could even become something you look back on in the future and laugh at?

-peachysoo
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    peachysoo said:
    Hey TheAprilFool,

Sounds like your relationship with your housemate has escalated very quickly!!

It could be helpful to talk to your housemate about what happened. Since you’ve said you’re both quite introverted and quiet, I’m sure your feelings of embarrassment and awkwardness are mutual.

It’s not unusual for people to do things they might regret while there’re drunk and less restrained in their actions. Maybe this could even become something you look back on in the future and laugh at?

-peachysoo
    Hello.

Thanks for the reply. The awkwardness has kind of worn off since then. We're going shopping together tomorrow so I might be able to bring it up then.
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @TheAprilFool, how was the shopping trip? Totally agree with what @peachysoo said above, we can all do odd things when we're drunk and they don't necessarily mean anything. Have you talked about it since? Again, I reckon she's probably feeling just the same as you! 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Lucy307 said:
    Hey @TheAprilFool, how was the shopping trip? Totally agree with what @peachysoo said above, we can all do odd things when we're drunk and they don't necessarily mean anything. Have you talked about it since? Again, I reckon she's probably feeling just the same as you! 
    Hey @Lucy307. Everything went pretty well. We haven't exactly talked about it, but we seem to be a bit more talkative around each other in general now and things haven't really been that awkward. The only thing that's kind of on my mind now is that I occasionally wonder if she has had a crush on me at some point, but I haven't seen any signs of this before so I haven't really worried about it too much. 
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @TheAprilFool, that's great to hear. It's good neither of you have been awkward. Do you reckon you want to talk to her and ask if she has had a crush, or do you feel like you should leave it now?
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
    Lucy307 said:
    Hey @TheAprilFool, that's great to hear. It's good neither of you have been awkward. Do you reckon you want to talk to her and ask if she has had a crush, or do you feel like you should leave it now?
    Hey @Lucy307
    I haven't brought it up and I'm not really planning to. We actually seem to be a bit closer than before so I guess that's a good thing. I'm kind of worried about what would happen if she asked me out or something but I'm probably just overthinking.