Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can romantic entertainment skew our views of relationships?

peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
Hey everyone  :)

I really like reading comics (specifically, Webtoons and manga)!! I read a lot of things, but the genres are mostly horror/thrillers, and romance!! Even with films, I think I’m just a sucker for love. 

With manga in particular, I’ve read so many clichés that it’s quite funny looking back on how unrealistic or exaggerated relationships can be portrayed. I think that, when I was younger and reading these things, I set up an unrealistic expectation of how relationships should be and what I would like in a relationship. I think it’s pretty well established from fairy tales that they are exactly that - fairy tales!

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but I’m curious to hear other opinions and experiences with the topic!
-peachysoo

Comments

• LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    It's weird for me. I grew up without watching or reading much romance, and then when I did I would cringe or think "That isn't real." 

I'm not personally a fan of how romance is commonly portrayed, as It's entirely possible that people who believe that it's like this can be taken advantage of in ways, and wouldn't know any better. 
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Totally agree that the way relationships are portrayed in all media can be very unrealistic. It can set us up to fail in real relationships for sure, because if it doesn't match the expectations we've built up. Shame, really!
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend