Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Desperately need a hobby

BluebellsBluebells Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi everyone,

I really need something to fill my free time. I'd like to do something social, or at least something that'll allow me to meet people (I'd like to make some friends too.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? What hobbies do you enjoy?

I'm looking for hobbies that are fairly inexpensive if possible, money's a bit tight.

Thanks if anyone does have any suggestions
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    edited August 2018
    Hello @Bluebells

I have just the thing for you!

First, type your region or postcode into the box and then choose from the amazing list of crafts. You will be with others in a small class, and likely not pay a lot, especially as craft classes vary.

I don't need training since I'm a musician and a profssional painter; I paint in oils using palette knife.

Sophie my carer (and so much more!) intends a career in jewellery. She's been learning these last 3 years and has made some exquisite pieces for people. Beautiful stuff. I envy her talent, for making custom pieces is very much an art and Soph is very talented, what I'd call a natural.

Once I can get my present poor state of health improved which hopefull will after a heart op ina fortnight's time, then I will be more active.

Come to think of this, but you could get a book and learn creative writing. A month agao I bought a 2nd hand book on the craft of writing, really just to improve my grammar. But writing is a lonely path, and you will find yourself alone much. So instead, have the joy of looking at that site. It really is fabulous! =)

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Something I do is penpalling, it's a great way to meet new people. There's plenty of groups on fb for it, all of my penpals have some form of mental illness and we support each other as well :) something else I do is classes with my local gym. I like it cause it's a pay by session gym instead of paying for a whole block of something you might not like. It's a great way to meet people

As Floxy said crafts groups can be good too and a great distraction :) it's also a great way to meet people face too face.

Hope you find something you enjoy, let us know how it goes :) 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Photography is a fun hobby because all you need is a phone, or Art even if you are just drawing with biro on plain paper its still fun. You could join some social groups online, or look for clubs near you. Theatre groups are a fun place to meet new people, even if you don't want to be in a play you can still join and help with the set or backstage. Another club would be brownies/guides, you can join as a helper and get to help organise trips and activities for the children in the club. 
    Also, charity shops are great if you want to learn to sew or make clothes, as you can up-cycle things you find there.

Hobbies can be hard to find, how about take a look at everything you already enjoy and seeing if there are any places you can go to do more of those things? Or make a list of things you would like to try and work your way though it. I have one and even if I end up being terrible at something on my list at least I had a go, learned something new and had some fun. :)

I tried long boarding and scraped my knee falling over but overall it was really fun so now I do it all the time, I also tried taxidermy and it was gross and I'll never be doing that again. but I tried it and learned that I didn't like it, so I still got the experience. 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Taking up Archery could be interesting. Or joining a rambler's club and going on gentle walks. I've just started this in my home town, and learning archery, too. It's good fun and meeting all sorts of interesting people!  :)