Home General Chat Positivity Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Thread for writing recovery letters ❤️

fadedangelfadedangel Posts: 263 The Mix Regular
edited October 2018 in Positivity Corner

Hello everyone that is reading this, 

I wanted to create a place where we can write recovery letters to motivate members of this community. 

I am going to write a post about recovery letters and in the comments, my hope was that people would write some recovery letters of their own for others to read. I am going to explain about recovery letters and then some tips on writing one of your own. 

Recovery Letters in my eyes, are a beautiful way of giving others hope. These recovery letters may be the one thing that keeps someone going, pushing through all that pain because they have realised there’s hope for their recovery. I think it is lovely that these letters can spread such a powerful message and if they just save one person that is incredibly rewarding and it gives that person a chance to carry on living. I realised that there was hope for me after reading some recovery letters and although it would be difficult I know that I can pull through this. 

After losing Ellie, it made me value my life so much more and if she had read a recovery letter maybe she could have realised that there was hope for her recovery. Ellie lost her fight and I want to give others that motivation and reassurance that although it will take time recovery is possible and things will get better. 

If these help one person then it’s definitely worth it because everyone deserves to have a chance to recover and it is possible. 

Some tips for writing your own: 

1.Make the letter relatively short (max around 1000 words) as people’s attention spans may be short.

2.Try and avoid specific advice and aim to give the person motivation and reassurance that things will get better and recovery is possible.

3.Include a little bit of personal experience but link it to the idea that things get better. 

4.Aim to write in first person ‘i believe that...’ 

5.Be addressed to ‘Dear You’ 

I am happy to give ideas on how to write one if you are unsure or if you have any questions pm me. I would prefer to keep the comments just for recovery letters so they are easy to find. 

I found a really useful website, which I will link below that has many absolutely beautiful recovery letters. Some days a recovery letter is what I really need, reassurance that recovery is possible and that I won’t be in this state forever is really comforting to hear. On the website, you can write your own and get it published if you are older than 18 or you can just read through the many letters written by people that have been through mental illness. The important thing to remember is that, there is hope for your recovery. 

The website is: 

http://therecoveryletters.com/

In the comments, feel free to have a go at writing your own recovery letter. I am going to start everyone off with my recovery letter I wrote. Your very welcome to use the website for ideas of how to start your letter off or to have a read through some on there but please may I ask you all write in your own words. 

I hope we can continue as a community to support one another and these recovery letters are just another way of making that possible. 

Your not alone in this.

There is hope for your recovery! ♥️

Here’s a short letter to get you all started. 

« I have been through hell but the best is yet to come « 
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• fadedangelfadedangel Posts: 263 The Mix Regular

Dear You, 

If your reading this I’m proud of you, well done for seeking support. When I was reading recovery letters I was in the darkest times in my life and I needed reassurance that I was pushing through for a reason, that recovery was possible. 

I kept being told things would get better but that seemed so unlikely at this point in my life. I couldn’t face life anymore and I wasn’t willing to suffer no longer. I felt like nothing was getting better, everything I’d tried hadn’t fixed me I was more broken than ever. I always thought everyone telling me there was hope for me was lying, they weren’t in this emotional state I was in - how were they supposed to predict the future? 

I believe them now though. Although, recovery is a long hard journey - I have had days where things have felt better and those are the days you need to hold onto. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, sunshine after all the rain. 

As I write this, I think about how hard my day has been. I think about how I wish I wasn’t alive, how I hate this life but I also think about the amazing steps I made today towards recovery. There is some good in everyday how ever rough the day has been - just take a moment to consider what you accomplished today, I’m sure there’s something. For me today, I managed to reach out for support when I was in need and I’m proud of myself for doing that - you should be too. 

Mental illness is unbelievably difficult, it takes the joy out of life but recovery is possible. Living everyday as it comes, you can get through this. You are stronger than mental illness and it will never define you. 

If you managed to get out of bed today ;if you managed to tie your shoe laces instead of leaving them ; if you made your bed today; if you ate something; if you brushed your teeth ; if you managed to reach out for support, I’m proud of you. You made steps in the right direction and your on the road to recovery. You can beat this and you will recover. 

With warmest wishes,

Lauren x

• SophJayne94SophJayne94 Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Where mine then 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    This is such a lovely thread idea, @Thoughtsy. I like that you wrote yours "dear you" so anyone can interpret it and feel those words for themselves.
    Where mine then 
    What do you mean by this, @SophJayne94? I think the idea is for the letters to be addressed outwardly to anyone reading, rather than anyone specific (correct me if I'm wrong, @Thoughtsy). :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Dear You,

You are more than than you feel, stronger than you believe and braver than you can see. 
    You're past mistakes do not define you, your future ideas cannot trap you. 
    There is something amazing about you and if you can't find it then think a little longer and look a little closer because its there. Nourish it, treasure it, keep it close and think often everyday on how you can improve. Keep trying, its going to be worth it. You are worth fighting for. 

Be the best you can be, be kind. Be you.

Sincerely, 
    Me.

( @Thoughtsy I really like your idea :) I gave it a go, and I hope others join in too )

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I tried, might not make sense but still lol, even though my team don't think I'll ever recover, I believe others can.

Dear you.

Times are hard, I know, but they won't last. There will come a point where things are easier, better. You are not alone in this struggle, I have been where you are and I'm alive, breathing and here to tell you that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and no, it's not a train (as I believed for so many years) you are strong enough to beat your demons.

If you were to ask me how I'm doing I would say great, but if you asked me that just last month the answer would of been totally different. I'm not gonna lie, recovery will be hard, and you will have relapses, like I did last month. My bpd and ptsd were at war with each other and the voices became unbearable, it was the 4 year anniversary of my trauma and I couldn't see any other way out apart from ending my life. Now I thank those who saved me on numerous occasions, police, paramedics, doctors, nurses and the mix. Pain is only temporary and that's something I need to keep reminding myself, there will be good days and oh my are they worth being around for! 

Relapses are part of recovery, every time I fall I get back up stronger and more determined than ever before. Even though I'm not recovered, I believe there will come a point I can live in peace with my mental illnesses. Looking back I've already come so far. Yes I still have bad days and that's okay, the most important thing is that I never give up. You must never give up. I'm alive, I'm breathing and I'm enjoying life, the good days and the bad. I have another chance at life and you better believe I'm going to make it a good one! 

Make your life great, you are strong enough to fight this battle, so put your boxing gloves on and get ready to fight the good fight, it will be worth it, recovery is possible.

Sincerely,
    Bubbles.
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • fadedangelfadedangel Posts: 263 The Mix Regular
    @BubblesGoesBoo @Eyepatch
    Thank you for writing such heartfelt recovery letters, I think they are lovely and great job for giving it a go. Even if we can help one person feel stronger then it is worth it. I’m happy you like the idea and thank you very much for taking time to write a letter. I hope we can get some more lovely ones in future. 

Take Care, both of you - hope your okay ♥️
    Lauren x 
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    This thread is actually amazing :heart:

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    This thread is beautiful Thoughtsy!

I really love the way its written so it can be interpreted by anyone this was a lovely read and definitely made my

I'd love to try my hand at writing one at some point :)

Hope you're doing okay <3

Laine

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Dear you... 

First things first, your actually amazing, brave and strong.

I know it may not always seem like it but recovery is possible, it's a wavy path, with some ups and downs along the way, but that's okay. Things aren't always easy but the fact that you're here today reading this letter shows that you have strength which is brilliant and totally amazing. 

You only have one life, and it's important to remember that, I know it's hard and some days it's so difficult, but try to think of the positives in your life, I know what you're thinking "there are no positives" it may seem like that but it's not the truth, there is ALWAYS positives, sometimes it just takes some time to put things into perspective to find the positives in your life. 

Relapses may happen, that is a part of recovery, I get that. But please try not to get upset over a relapse, it's not the end of the recovery process, it's just a little 'stop' but you can carry on if you really want too,

I sometimes do think that recovery is so difficult and want to give up, but I don't, because I am alive, I am breathing, I am living my life, yes it's difficult most of the time, but the truth is if I wasn't here then my family would be hurting, and so would my friends, the people who care about me. 

Please remember that there are ALWAYS people who care about you, even if it's hard to see that sometimes. 

I think what I am trying to say is, you were put on this earth for a reason, lets all try to live our life, the best way we can. 

You can get through this, I believe in you

Love and Hugs 

Me.... 

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    edited August 2018
    Dear you,

My heart goes out to you, I know you're struggling. I couldn't get through a day without replaying what happened and blaming myself. I was exhausted, I didn't think that feeling would ever end. But it did. I can't quite believe it, but I managed to find a way of moving forward and living life. I believe that you can do it, too.

You are still here, you are stronger than you thought. I'm really proud of you for that. Life is your own and you do not need to let anybody else dictate the way you feel.

You are more than just what happened to you, you are more than just a 'survivor', you are YOU. Beautiful, crazy, loving, special you.

Keep your head up and ask for help, there is more support around you than you even realise. I'm rooting for you.

- Lucy

Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    Dear You,

I understand that you are struggling but words cannot describe how proud I am of you for being so brave for carrying on. 

Whatever is upsetting you is like a hurdle that is too high to jump. If you tell someone, they can help lower the hurdle.

Lots of hugs and prayers,
    Kasa ❤
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous