Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self care/relaxation tips

Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
Hey everyone

I've just moved house this weekend and am feeling KNACKERED. I'm trying to relax a little but there's so much to do and so little time and I keep getting up and doing more. Can you share any tips on self care/relaxation techniques to calm my busy brain down?!

Must admit, being on here has helped me quite a bit this evening. I haven't sat down for so long for a while :grin:

- Lucy
Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Lucy!x

It sounds like you need to take a breather, look at what you still need to do, and reassess what needs to be done. What needs to be as the first priority? What can you leave for tomorrow? What can you delegate to someone else if possible? Using that, work through the list as far as you can, and if there are some low-priority tasks that you need to do the next day, then leave them be for then. 

Working yourself too hard means you'll get ill, and then you won't be able to do any of the tasks! Please take care of yourself and look after your wellbeing.

I'd recommend taking some time out to stretch, do a quick exercise or meditate. All are helpful in their own way!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    edited August 2018
    How about making a to-do list, make each item on the list as simple as possible and include things like 'have a cup of tea' or 'shower'. This means you can really see your progress and feel good whenever you complete a task. I also find lofi music is very relaxing when doing any kind of task, you can find loads on youtube. 

Moving house can be very stressful so your having a natural reaction, would you be able to call any friends to give you a hand? It might be a good idea to start with your bedroom too so that when you need a break you have a nice place to go and rest :)

I hope everything goes well 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Hey Lucy!

Recently i downloaded an app called headspace- which is like meditation and mindfullness. Though a lot of it isnt free there are some that are.  And i mean not for everyone & i never used to be interested in it but sometimes is quite helpful to de stress, stop everything  and do things like focus on something else like your breathing. Or like even just sitting down and doing nothing for a good while after being so busy. take care <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi Lucy!

Having recently moved house after a spell in hospital that left me feeling ghastly, I took welcome advice from aunt Fiona. She's been around a lot longer than me, so has collected some very good self-care tips.

First of all if you have a leafy park nearby, leave the house with your favourite chilled beverage, a notebook and pen. Except if you have a garden, go there instead. Find somewhere shady and sit under it. Turn your phone to voicemail, sip your beverage and lean your head back. Relax your shoulders because you'll be feeling tense. Concentrate on getting into a relaxed state of mind. Take another sip.

Getting away from the 'war zone' of the clutter and piles of cartons helps clear your mind. Relaxing, unwinding in a quiet place will unwind you far quicker. And after a while your mind begins to refocus because being outside is nice. Outside is fresh. Outside is healthy.

Even for a 10 minute walk around your area will get some fresh air into your lungs and brain. Cycle in the park, even.

Aunty said it can be easy to set yourself a list of big goals when writing to-do lists, but giving yourself smaller targets can make you feel more in control and proud of your day. Note To Self: order a takeway for tonight and tomorrow because the kitchen will be on its head. Plan to start unpacking there as it's the hub of your home.

Try to take a break from social media every now and again. I know this sounds ridiculous, but even a few days away from it will give you space to reflect. It’'s very easy to feel guilty when saying ‘no’ to social commitments, but sometimes it can be the best thing you can do for yourself.

Bathing surrounded by candles during early evening; reading or doing crosstitch or knitting, or some craft is rewarding as it grows. Maybe you can draw or paint, or print off pretty photos of somewhere you visited and frame them.

It's important that we all find out what self-care works for us and apply it as much as possible. It does us no good to burn out or become overwhelmed.

What I'm presently doing is carving out my own style, then sticking to it. My aunts are laid-back and bohemian, so why not me? In a market I found some intricately embroidered linens, and a silk sarong during our hot weather. At these village stalls I find flowing cotton summer dresses and shawls for the cooler evenings. Even feeling tired still, I look in the mirror and it reflects back a new me. It's another form of self-care and it's working. We need to pamper ourselves, and do it because we are individualists.

I hope that you find yourself in these times of self-care. One day at a time, ok?

Love and *hugs*
    Mandyx

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Oooh this is a really good discussion to have as I think everyone needs a little help relaxing every now and then, lots of great suggestions here too so I'll just drop in with what works for me personally. It sounds cliché but my first go-to for chilling out is to put on some relaxing music, just nice instrumentals with no lyrics always calms me down.

If I need something more visual to focus on I'll usually put on a youtube video I've watched a bunch of times before so I don't have to concentrate too hard. I think everyone has those kinds of videos they click on just to help turn off their brains.

Of course if you're one of those people who can't switch off unless your devices are off this might not be all that helpful for you. :lol: Sorry about that.

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ellyelly Posts: 10 Settling in
    Lucy307 said:
    Hey everyone

I've just moved house this weekend and am feeling KNACKERED. I'm trying to relax a little but there's so much to do and so little time and I keep getting up and doing more. Can you share any tips on self care/relaxation techniques to calm my busy brain down?!

Must admit, being on here has helped me quite a bit this evening. I haven't sat down for so long for a while :grin:

- Lucy
    Hi Lucy, hope you have settled in and feeling more relaxed now. I moved house and counties by myself last week so I know how you feel! Feel free to get in touch :)
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey all, 

Thank you for so many useful replies!! 

@Azziman and @Eyepatch - I had been so caught up in everything that I hadn't even made a list!! I make to-do lists every day for work but didn't even think of one for this house stuff. Thank you, I started one on my phone last week after seeing this and feel like at least I can now start to prioritise. Amazing how something so simple makes such a difference. 

@Azziman I also actually downloaded a Yoga app as I have done it before and enjoyed it, I've started doing 15 mins a day and can't tell you how much that has calmed my brain down. Namaste! :relaxed:

@Shaunie Thank you, I'm gonna download Headspace tonight and see how I get on. I love the idea of mindfulness but haven't done meditation before. Excited to try it out!

@Floxy again leaving the house is such a simple idea but such a good one. I actually did just that yesterday and went on a walk round a lake near my house, and sat on a bench just watching the ducks for a while. Being physically away from the house has really helped me to relax. Actually I have some beautiful photos of Yosemite National Park that I'm gonna get printed and framed too, great idea and I actually think that'll be quite a calming influence in the house too. Thank you :)

@Riley do you know what, that reminds me of when I was at uni, when I would get bored I would go on a YouTube binge and just watch ridiculous videos and howl at them, for some reason this one sprung to mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79SuHotazs still makes me giggle. Thank you, I'm going to revisit that this week :lol:

@elly thank you! Sounds like you can relate! How are you getting on unpacking etc - I'm still not 100% there but taking it one day at a time.

Again thank you everyone for replying, feels like self care just being here talking to lovely people. <3

- Lucy
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    I hadn't thought about apps! 

Headspace is great :) Dare is also a good app, more focused on helping calm Anxiety and Panic attacks. Another app is Replika, it is an AI chatting app that learns from how you type, some people find them a bit weird but it always has encouraging messages and relaxation exercises. 
    Or try Podcast addict, you can download any podcast you search for and sometimes it's nice to listen to a story or play whilst working :) 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    And thank you, too, Lucy. Watching the ducks made me smile. They are so funny at times. :)
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    Hello.
    I've been going through a pretty stressful time recently, and I've been setting aside ten minutes every day to write down all of the things that are worrying me so that I can start to work through them. I've also taken up meditation again and have tried to be more open with my family about how I'm feeling instead of keeping it to myself all the time. 
  • SevenSeven Posts: 58 Boards Initiate
    Hey everyone, 
    It's really nice to see everyone sharing their experiences. I can particularly relate to what AprilFool has posted, writing things down and taking some time away from everything can be surprisingly effective ways to get our heads around something or a feeling. 

Funny memes are also really useful! Get a load of this one...

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Simple memes are the best sometimes 😂😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Here's one of my faves :grin:

On your computer providing you have speakers or headphones, lovely relaxing sounds can be listened to for free on this website. =)

The noise generator's sound can be adapted on a handly sliding scale according to your want, from 'sub bass' to 'high treble'.

It's simply lovely and could help you to sleep.

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    On instagram I follow these;  satisfyyingworld and oddlymesmerizing and I just find them so relaxing to watch and could watch some on repeat. Don’t think need an account to click on the links. But they’re only a few seconds and are relaxing & easy to watch or could probs find on youtube

https://www.instagram.com/satisfyyingworld/
    https://www.instagram.com/oddlymesmerizing/
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley