Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Art

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited June 2018 in Creative Corner
Heya,

Wondering if anyone likes to draw, paint, digital art, one of those mindful colouring books or anything creative of the sort? 

Im trynna find a hobby and a distraction
 so brought a few drawing stuff last week and started to try to draw. I attempted to draw an eye yesterday and my dog last week, dont think ill embarrass myself by sharing it lol. But im just trying to find distraction from suicidal thoughts and gunna try to draw a face today. Just really writing this to motivate me to do it. :) ✏️  
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,285 Part of The Furniture
    Nice thread idea. :) Creative outlets can be so good for wellbeing. Love that you included digital art, too!

I've got an adult colouring book, but I haven't used it very much. My ADHD brain usually wants to be kept a bit busier, so I tend to lean more towards movies and video games. This might be a nice excuse to dig it out again though...

Would love to see what drawings you (and others) come up with - not an easy thing to get good at by any means. No judgement on how 'good' they are. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • GretaGreta Deactivated Posts: 29 Boards Initiate
    edited June 2018
    Hey @Shaunie, I love that you are posting about art! I've always loved drawing with colored pencils and painting with oil paints. Maybe you could try one of those daily art challenges for the month of July to keep you motivated and give you some more ideas of what to draw! :):star:
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Ah thank yous. 
    @Aidan  id love to see if you ever draw anything,no matter how shit you think it is aha 

oil painting seems so hard @Greta Id love to try it tho.
    I cant keep motivated for this much lol. Will look at daily art challenges-sounds like great idea thank you

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    So i drew this mostly from self epression cause basically dead behind the eyes and my brain is a mess and also cause forever destroying myself anyway. Also because i cant draw any whole face lol.
    Looks like it took me a few minutes to draw lol but felt like forever & hard to get propotion & angle 🙃 but was great distraction,😊

edited July 2018
    Shaunie said:
    So i drew this mostly from self epression cause basically dead behind the eyes and my brain is a mess and also cause forever destroying myself anyway. Also because i cant draw any whole face lol.
    Looks like it took me a few minutes to draw lol but felt like forever & hard to get propotion & angle 🙃 but was great distraction,😊

Yo this is awesome! Powerful stuff, particularly in the context of depression. Reminds me of a lot of Mario Sanchez Nevado's work. He does a lot of cool pieces with heads and faces, like these two:

Anyway, that just sprung to mind seeing your picture. Keep us posted on anything new you create. :)

Ah thanks Mike
    His art work looks really interesting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Learn how to make jewellery, @Shaunie Sophie is very advanced now and makes necklaces, bracelets and pendants which she sells. Making even the simplest of bracelets is actually quite easy, once you know how.

But oil painting is my strength, using palette knives. I've sold a few of my paintings, too. I also play musical instruments, but that is a different type of art.
    Floxy said:
    Learn how to make jewellery, @Shaunie Sophie is very advanced now and makes necklaces, bracelets and pendants which she sells. Making even the simplest of bracelets is actually quite easy, once you know how.

But oil painting is my strength, using palette knives. I've sold a few of my paintings, too. I also play musical instruments, but that is a different type of art.

Hey @Floxy just out of interest i just watched a youtube video on beginners for making jewellery, it looks quite hard, with the use of pliers and stuff? Ah

I’ve sold a few of my paintings, too
    You Must be really good!
    Aidan said:
    I said I'd post one of my drawings so you can put shame to it, that was a while ago but I completely forgot until now :joy: 

Here it is! (probably)
    I call it: "Me trying to remember how shading works because I haven't drawn in years" 

Aidan (:
     Aw Aidan. Too modest ;) i think it looks pretty cool!
    Shaunie said:
    Floxy said:

Hey @Floxy just out of interest i just watched a youtube video on beginners for making jewellery, it looks quite hard, with the use of pliers and stuff? Ah

I’ve sold a few of my paintings, too
    You Must be really good!
    Heey @Shaunie

On You Tube is this splendid course on learning jewellery for absolute beginners called "How to Make Jewelry: Tutorial for Beginners (Part 1 of 4)" Jewellers Academy Published on 8 Aug 2015

That was how Sophie started. And I honestly believe you can achieve this, too. :)

As for me, I'm flattered people want to buy my paintings, otherwise they wouldn't be parting with 500 eur upwards, topping out at around 5,000 for a mural. Out of necessity I learnt to make the frames, and applying 24ct gold leaf if looks lovely, (another art form in itself), otherwise contracting out to a framer would be very costly! Learning to make picture frames I found easy anyway since having a love for DIY.

Incidentally, as of today, painting is going to have to become my new career since this morning being diagnosed with a heart condition has put paid to my music career. Life may suck at times, but I'm jolly well going to be doing what's next best!  <3

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Im so glad there are fellow artists here! Drawing and making are great ways to focus on one thing for a while, plus. its very satisfying to finish a sketchbook :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
    Using art to express yourself can be a really great way of understanding feelings that you can't describe. Its great that you found a way to show your emotions rather than telling them. I think the English language is pretty flawed when it comes to emotional descriptive words.  

On a different note, I usually draw Fan-art but I have my own Webcomic too. I love seeing other people's artworks, I wouldn't mind teaching art one day :) Heres a quick sketch of Ciri from The Witcher 3

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 

Aw i love looking at other peoples art work too,

Thank you for link @Floxy & you sound like professional with frames and stuff!

Really interesting, thought provoking art @Aidan. Like it & Good way to express self!

I really like that @Eyepatch Ive tried to draw sketchs of faces and i find it so hard to just draw anyone let alone of soemone else or character!

Thanks @Shaunie I was thinking of making tutorials on youtube, but when I see all the great art out there I just want to hide mine 
    edited August 2018
    Eyepatch said:
    Thanks @Shaunie I was thinking of making tutorials on youtube, but when I see all the great art out there I just want to hide mine 
    Even all the ‘great’ artists started somewhere & at start they probably wanted to hide theirs:)
    Thank you @Shaunie but framing came only out of my knowledge of DIY which I found easy to learn, like preparing a canvas and a sturdy frame for one depending on its size. The palette knife is lovely to use, and I find painting good for my condition, whehereas once being a professional musician took so much away from me that next day I was exhausted.

@Eyepatch you have a strong stylisation in your drawing which I love. Have you tried working in charcoal? Faber-Castell produce packs of 12 x 5-8mm natural charcoal sticks named 'Pitt'. They along with their densely black 'B' pencils are incredibly high quality for sketching and their 'B' pencils are an absolute joy to write with, too!  =)

@Floxy Thanks! I have used charcoal but I always find myself accidentally smudging it :/ I like using cream paper so I can add white pencil on top of 2B or B :) I like ink a lot too, but I worry when I can't rub out my mistakes 
    edited August 2018
    Eyepatch said:
    @Floxy Thanks! I have used charcoal but I always find myself accidentally smudging it :/ I like using cream paper so I can add white pencil on top of 2B or B :) I like ink a lot too, but I worry when I can't rub out my mistakes 
    * Edited to say you should be able to erase your mistakes, for I had info on how, but will have to search for it. Might take some time since I'm back home for 3 weeks. But I will, I promise. :)

Faber-Castell makes some remarkably good art materials including a beautiful pencil that is platinum plated and has a built-in pencil sharpener and a silver-capped cedarwood pencil encasing a thick B lead, 'B' standing for blackest black. I have a number of their fine pens and their 'Perfect Pencil', a most beautiful gift from my fiancee Ines.

A must-see is a splendid You Tube video called Graf von Faber-Castell : Passion and Precision, but there are a number of fine viedos showing how their pencils are made by Faber-Castell.

Tragically, Count Anton-Wolfgang von Faber-Castell passed away 2 years ago. He designed Pen(s) Of The Year, bring luxury writing instruments to the world. His obit:  http://www.fabercastell.com/AW

I am very sad he died. The world lost another great man. :/

Thank you :) 
    I will definitely look out for those pencils, I really like Chris Riddels illustrations and I think he uses a similar type of B pencil 
    Just sitting here admiring these pictures - you guys have some wild skills.
    I drew this awhile ago but heres a basic picture of my dog 🙃🐶. I was pretty proud at the time ngl but now looks shit 🙃😂

• LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    I like to draw quite a lot too. My current profile pic is one of my graphic drawings. I draw on paper too, and I have a wall of drawings on one side of my room, but lately I haven't been drawing as much.

I've instead been focusing on putting emotions into drawings and taking longer with them. The one below is one of my more intricate ones.

I call it 'Demons,' and I drew it last summer, while I was going through a mental breakdown. I drew by pencil, then filled in some parts with pen and scanned it into my pc. The female is designed after myself, and the male is someone who helped me to calm my demons down even when he was struggling with his own.

What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?
    edited November 2018
    Everyone's so talented though. I'm not half as good as that usually. 

@Eyepatch "A quick sketch..." If I did a quick sketch like that it would take me 4 hours and about 15 different sheets of paper xD

I've been inspired to do more drawing now. Meh. I want to but I don't. It takes too long :sweat_smile:

I might do a bit of drawing on Draw Something. That game taught me to draw in a pretty decent cartoon style and its quite nostalgic to go back to it. If anyone wants to add me and do some drawing feel free lol, my name is LabraBell on there too
    @LabraBell
    Thanks, I've had some practice :) I'd like to start doing lessons online, want me to message you when I start?  They'd be streamed live on YouTube :) 
    @Eyepatch I'd like that. Lemme be your first subscriber :3
     I'm glad you like my picture, here's one of my comic characters 😊
    I haven’t fully decided her design yet, so any feedback would be great 

I miss this thread, can I see more of everyone's art please? 
    Eyepatch said:
    I miss this thread, can I see more of everyone's art please? 
    Good idea! Good time to get into drawing
    @Shaunie
    maybe we could do some art challenges, like some of us draw pictures and post them the other half colour them in and post the finished picture :)