Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does wolf whistling and shouting from cars anoy you?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
Hi guys here's another randomish thred
Does wolf whistling and/or people shouting from cars annoy you?

I was walking to work the other day when someone in a car beeped and shouted something through the window of his car. Which made me just as I didn't expect it. I recognise him from him doing this to me before quite a few times. I can never catch what he is saying but it's definitely not something nice.

I wouldn't consider myself a grate looking person but the amount of times people have wolf whistled me when I'm going to meet someone or on occasion just walking home after seeing a friend or going work lol. This happened the other week I was actually heading out for a first date when an older man wolf whistled at me as I walked past. To be honest I did have a bit of a laugh when I told my date and he said "don't worry I'll never do that...... I can't wolf whistle." This lightened my mood again lol

Prehaps it's just me but it really annoys me, I don't find it funny or complementary it's just annoying!! and sometimes if it's late on or it's quiet around it can feel quite intimidating (particularly shouting from the car.) it's not so bad now but used to make me feel really anxious when I was younger (around 16) Where it mostly just annoys me now lol.

Like I say that my opinion what do you guys think?

EmmaXx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My street is very isolated, cars barely drive past and if so, they won't usually do anything. We barely interact with each other.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    So you live in a quiet area. To be fair sometimes I wish I did ha ha ha xx
    So you live in a quiet area. To be fair sometimes I wish I did ha ha ha xx

Yep, i live in a pretty quiet area, apart from the fact that about 8-10 classmates were making noise a couple of nights ago because they were all hanging out two houses away from me. Couldn't hear it whilst in my room though thankfully. These are isolated incidences though.

Quiet areas are good areas because no one bothers you although no one's there to brighten up your evening walk to home by doing/saying something funny/ridiculous. Although then it would be a lot more like America.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I used to get this quite often and in remote areas it can scare me a little at the best of times, I don't get it much anymore since I cut my hair. instead now I get people laughing at me but its a little less scary. people need to start realizing that wolf whistling isn't a compliment it invalidates people and makes them uncomfortable x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    I never get wolf whistled by my Majorcan guys, any of them, but Brit tourists or Brits generally wolf whistle me even from their cars. I flip them the finger and get on my way. :P
    Of course and I hate it.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I don't understand wolf-whistling at all. Firstly, it's outright rude to harrass someone on how they look. But also, it doesn't work! Not once have I ever seen a victim of wolf-whistling turn around and proceed to go home with the wolf-whistler! xD

Point being, it's rude and useless, so why people persist with it is beyond my understanding.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Builders do it in England far more than any Europen country. Must be Brit mentality
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I don't remember ever experiencing wolf-whistling. Some people have yelled out of there cars, but I only remember feeling intimidated by it once. Most of the time I either can't understand them or they're just messing around with friends or something, so it doesn't really bother me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Its mostly happens when blokes are tanked on a Friday night, and they're always older. whistling doesn't bother me. Younger guys don't even know how to whistle anyway!