Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job interview tips - help!

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
Hello all,

I applied for the role of casual peer support worker, a job with MIND working alongside other young people at a recovery college locally and to my amazement i have managed to land myself an interview.

Any job interview tips?
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Jacob101,

Congratulations! It's great to hear you got the interview, what great news!

I've done quite a few interviews, so I'll help out as best as I can!

Firstly, prepare well-thought answers in response to questions you think they could ask.

Some questions that Mind may ask you could be:
    - What makes you want to work for Mind?
    - Have you had previous experience in anything like this?
    - When/where are you able to work?
    - What kind of work would you be interested in doing?

Secondly, practice your delivery. Part of the role will probably involve communication with other people, so it's important to make sure you speak calmly, clearly and confidently at a steady pace.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, remember to relax. It's natural to have nerves for interviews, and the interviewers will be aware of this - they were in your position at one point too! Keep hydrated, take deep breaths, and don't be afraid to take your time answering a question if you aren't sure how to respond straight away!

I wish you the best of luck - let us know how it goes!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Congratulations achieving a job interview. :)

I can't add much to Azziman's excellent advice, except hold your gaze when speaking to your interviewer. Don't let it wander, especially when having to answer a difficult question. Answer clearly and as condifently as you can. Be punctual. This means arriving earlier to your appointment. Dress smart: nice suit, polished shoes, crisp ironed white shirt, cufflinks (if you have them) and a nice tie will make you feel much more confident. Remember: dress smart, think smart. Your good dress sense will please your interviewer which shows them you have made good effort with your appearance. Research the company because you might be asked what you know about it. Also how much you know about the job being offered and your ability to do it. Keep your hands folded on the table so they can see them. And don't fidget.

Good luck.

~ Belle

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Congratulations! My couple of bits of advice from doing a bit of work in recruitment...

- Know and love something about the company - I think this is going to be a fairly easy one as Mind are amazing, but go on their website and pick something you didn't know about Mind that they do, read up on it, if you like it show your passion for that topic! Hope that makes sense
    - Have a couple of questions prepared to ask at the end e.g. what progression opportunities they have/what they love about the company/if they do any sports & social activities
    - BREATHE and try to enjoy it - let your personality show :)

Hope they help - good luck! Let us know how it goes

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Doing some research into MIND and finding out stuff could help. And why youre interested in the role.

Try not to stress too much,will always be other opportunities if dont go as well as hope.

But i Hope the interview goes well. Good luck!
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley