Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A month to go and already feeling emotional

Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
So on the 13th of September its going to be a hard day because my sister is off to uni in Cardiff and we have grown stronger the last few months probably cause what she has been through and what ive been through and I'm really going to miss her.
​is it normal to feel like this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course it's normal! Depending on how far away you live from Cardiff it will probably seem like she's further away than she actually is sometimes. Sometimes it may hurt, but there's always the phone or skype, and I'm sure you'll see her a lot more often than you think you will.
    If it helps you to feel better, I've been in and around Cardiff all my life and it's very safe here and very friendly. There are plenty of hotels and hostels around that are relatively cheap if you'd like to visit her too.
    While its hard, it'll definitely work out. She will always come back to you :)
  • Laura12345Laura12345 Posts: 265 The Mix Regular
    Ok that's good to hear that it's normal. I live 3 hours away from Cardiff and yeah it probably seems further away then it is because I'm used to seeing her all the time! Yeah I know there is always phone calls I can make or FaceTime so there is ways of communicating with her! Glad to hear that Cardiff is a safe place and glad to hear there is places to go so I can visit her. Yeah it's going to be hard the weeks leading up to it and defiantly the week or so after as it be getting used to her not being around!
    Hi Laura,

Personally, I feel very safe in Cardiff :) All my friends have had a great experience living there and there seems to be something for everyone!

Many other people feel the same when someone they're close to is moving away! Maybe your sister is feeling a similar way, have you tried talking to her about it? That may help to bring some reassurance.

Also, Cardiff is a big city, so lots of public transport services stop off there. If you were to get the train or bus there it should be an easy journey!

Let us know how you cope! :)

~Kaze
    Hi. An update on this: its getting so much harder as the date gets closer that my sister leaves for uni. I am going with her on this date to help her settle in along with my parents! Is there anything I can do to make this easier?
    Hi Laura,

My little brother is starting uni too this year so I understand exactly what you're going through. Having gone through three years of uni myself I already know what it's like to be away from your sibling for so long.

It's very normal for you to feel like you do. Have you spoken to her about it? I'm sure she feels much the same as you do so knowing that you're going through this together might help make the transition a little easier.

FaceTime, texting, calling and visiting her are all fantastic ways to keep in contact and I'm sure that you'll see each other over the holidays as well.

Often the hardest part is when they first leave as you aren't always sure what to expect however if you keep busy whilst she's away and still speak to her regularly the term often flies by.

Hope this helped!
    Hi Lals x thanks for the reply. I glad you understand how I'm feeling and I hope your brother gets on well at uni and if you ever need to talk to me then I'm here. I think its hard also because I'm actually 2 years older then her and I haven't gone to uni so I don't know what it feels like.
    ​I'm glad you said its normal to feel like this . I haven't spoken to her about it because if she feels the same I don't want to upset her as I know she is nervous about the whole process anyway.
    ​Yeh she said she will come back for holidays and that we can still be in touch. its just from experience I had a friend who said they would be in touch with me when they went off to uni and yet they haven't, I'm guessing they are too busy but I really miss them and I'm just hoping the same wont happen with my sister.
    Okay thanks for the advice