Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going on dates without spending a fortune

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every girl whom I've dated has expected and demanded that I spend a fortune on her. That includes presents (regularly, not just on special occasions) as well as expensive dates. Attempts to suggest that they pay half or their share have always been rejected by them with contempt. I've tried suggesting less expensive places to go on dates, but they've been angrily rejected and I've been called a cheapskate for suggesting them. Some of them have said that they deserve to be treated like princesses and some have said that I have to pay them for their valuable time. Has anyone worked out a way around this, or where to find girls who aren't like that?

Comments

• One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    Hi Rob I've seen quite a few of these types of posts. Can I just say I hate girls like that. I could go bloody costa coffee and be happy. I've never understood why some girls demand that the guy has to pay for everything. I haven't really been on a date. But when I go out with a male friend I always want to pay me share and most of my friends are the same.

How about settings a budget? Like I can spend X amount where would you suggest?
    Also where do you normally meet the girls you speak to from? Prehaps it's a common thing round the area you live in but it could be different in a different town? I know that sounds stupid but I actually don't know anyone like that around my area. I've heard about people who are like that but don't actually know anyone.

I would also say if they are reacting to your suggestions in that way. They are not worth the time of day.
    There are people out there who don't behave like spoilt brats, it just seems that you are having a bit of bad luck at the moment
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Going somewhere with friends is different. You're not expected to pay for everything for your friends.

When I ask girls for suggestions, they either suggest somewhere very expensive or condescendingly tell me that choosing is a male task.

I've lived in and have visited different towns and it's been the same. I'm not saying that it's typical everywhere; I'm just telling you what my experience is.

I've been having bad luck for almost all of my life.
    I am slightly ashmased to admit it but I used to be one of those girls! There is a competition amoung your girlfriends to see how much your BF spends on you. So it is also led by peer pressure. Plus it is nice to feel spoilt (but only if your BF can afford it!).

However, over time you see this is a very shallow view of a relationship and one that is lacking equality. Relationships are SO much more than how much your BF spends on you. More often than not the most romantic gestures are the ones that cost nothing.

What I would say, is that if you want your relationship is be equal then each of you pay your own way.
    Why do many girls claim that they want equality, then demand that their boyfriends/dates pay for everything?

How can I get girls to pay their way on dates?
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 597 Incredible Poster
    I'm sorry to hear this Robert. I guess you are right going out with a friend is different. But even when I have been on a date I still like to pay my own half. I know it sounds silly but for me it's like an independents thing to show that I'm still my own person and can look after myself.

I can't say why these girls are being like they are it is rude and being a spoilt brat in my opinion.

I know my friend and her boyfriend either split the bill or take turns to pay for the date.
    Do your friends have a similar problem?
    Everyone should pay for themselves on dates.

Yes, most of my friends have the same problem with girls leeching off them and making a lot of unreasonable demands of them.