Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do we judge people on their spelling too much

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
"It's you're not your!"
"Stupid idiot learn how to spell!"
"Go back to school and learn English!"
"The only thing more horrific than this comment is it's spelling."

Have you ever heard one of these??
I remember being a kid in primary school and getting calles a geek or nerd at for spelling something correctly. (Which I'll add didn't happen often .)

When did society become so fixed on everyone's spelling? I've always known that spelling was an important part of life and needed for mostly jobs But is there really any need to bully someone because the spelt something wrong or used the wrong there, their, your or you're!!!

I'm dislexic so I do struggle with my spelling and grammar and even after proof reading again and again and again there are still some mistakes sometimes, but that's because I'm human we all make mistakes!

I do understand the importance of spelling when writing an important letter or using it in a job ect. But on social media......Really?

I once used yahoo answers and without trying to defend myself, it was late, I was tired, I was typing on a touch screen phone, I was in a rush, I couldn't scroll back up to see what I wrote and I just didn't proof read.

Now looking back in the question I wrote there was a lot of typos and a few spelling mistakes . But one of the replies was really horrible and I will quote what was said word for word.

"You're in college and write like this? No wonder our country is a drisaster!

I probably shouldn't have been but I was really upset by this. I do try my hardest, I have got my GCSE's but I'm human!

I don't get why people are so fixated on how others spell, I guess it a way of saying "look at me I recognised a spelling mistake" or using it as just a reason to bully/shame someone.

Do you think people are too serious about people's spelling and grammar and why has society become this way ?

Look forward to hearing your guys responses.

Emma

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Emma this post definately rings a bell here I am very sorry for how people have treated you, my teacher used to hold my school book the wrong way up and say this is much better in general!
    the world definately likes perfection and society expects a certain level of spelling.
  • Options
    CarlosCarlos Deactivated Posts: 11 Settling in
    Hey Emma,

Sorry to hear you had that kind of response, it's clearly one aimed at belittling rather than being constructive!
    It is interesting to think how the way we speak has changed from the 'txt speak' era to one where grammar is emphasised.
    I think when it comes to expressing yourself it's all about how you feel most comfortable, it's certainly that way in the boards here at The Mix.
    It's completely normal to make mistakes, I think what people forget on the internet fail to realise at times is that they're speaking to someone that's not exactly like them, and they're imposing their standards on them.

Was there a particular social media platform you saw these comments come from?

Carlos
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Personally, yes, sometimes I will notice spelling in formal settings (but I would never correct them) - and I would most certainly never, ever make comments like it seems you've had - it makes me really say people behave like that and seems to be part of a wider societal issue where people apparently can't even be bothered to be polite any longer :( It feels like these days people are bored so they just pick on each other instead of actually doing something with their time.

For me it's been drilled in to me as super important during langauge and translation studies where a big part of the work and what you're being paid for is to be correct (which is why I notice). Online (like on these boards) I don't really care - it isn't that important providing I can understand what is being written.

I also wonder whether people are using the spelling to try and support the whole "not in my day" attitude that seems to be so prevalent these days; whether it's about education standards apparently sliding, society going in to meltdown etc and that's why it's become such a thing?
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hey guys nice to hear all your replies. I see this a lot on social media especially Facebook.

These comments have not just been to me but alot of other too. Just think it's silly how people feel the need to pick on others about it

Thanks for your input guys :D

Happy new year
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    I see this a lot on social media especially Facebook.

I see it too , and i feel it's not fair because they don't really know that persons situation.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello One-In-A-Million,

I'm glad you were able to post about this topic and I really get where you're coming from, nowadays, we go to all sorts of lenghs to make sure our writing is correct while at work/Uni, and so forth, but when it comes to social media, it's more down to people wanting to troll with comments such as that. When I'm tired and on my phone, like anyone, I type as though I'm drunk, I'm too physically exhausted to be typing, but I still do it, and non of my sentences make sense, which you'll find if I ever decide TM would be a good stop of point before crashing into bed, haha.

I'm not going to lie, I've used the 'It's Your, not You're' line when in arguments with individuals, me typing online it ballsache, cause I'm the laziest shit ever, so me going on at people for spelling it insane, but you know I'm in a mardy with you, if I'm doing that. And I've had people do it with me, and also seen it in places where individuals have been proved wrong, so to feel as though their right, they start commenting on little typo's instead. I'm ngl, I don't see it often, like most of the time I do see it though is, when someone on the other side is hurt, has been proved wrong, and often as a way of hurting them back, they point out typo errors. This is solely on social media though.

When it comes to writing essays for Uni, college, work etc. Grammar is vital, and Unis nowadays have a lot of support for people with dyslexia, or poor writing, to help them improve, as at Uni, we shouldn't really be making superficial typing errors. As you proof read it so many times, and get other people to proof read it, the typing errors are often caught before submission. Like with social media, you are going to make minor errors, because you aren't gonna bother proof reading it, or owt, its social media.

I'm an awful person when it comes to typing, I do judge people, not intentionally, on typing errors, like major typing errors though, not like minor ones, like mixing two letters or so up. But say if you sent me a message in text talk, expect no reply. Like, I just see spelling as something that shows your level of intelligence, I know this sounds bitchy as fuck, and I'm sorry, but it's just me, I used to be queen of text talk and now looking back on facebook, I judge myself, like how could I spell that so horribly wrong?

But yeah, let me know what you think,
    Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart