Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question- Mental Health Information/Advice Line

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
Just a quick thread as I'm looking for something specific.

Can anyone recommend a helpline to get information about mental health support and/or advice (note I don't mean emotional support helplines like Samaritans etc.).

Also just to make you aware I can't use Mind or Rethink Mental Illbess. Both have been good suggestions in past, only thing is after looking into it they do not offer support in Scotland. Hence I'm looking for UKwide services.

Also I have looked into Scotland specific resources and am aware about SAMH (which the mind website recommends for Scottish people, as they don't serve scotland). I have phoned them and they aren't very helpful, they talk more about benefits and housing etc. Also I tried them just there, and actually felt I was getting somewhere to be told there's this one specific lady who is the only person who can help me. But she is off for 2 weeks :/

Hence whole UK or British based services for mental health info and advice- any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey apandav,

There are a few places you can contact from Scotland that provide practical advice and information as well as emotional support. I've listed a few below. :)

Supportline advertise as providing emotional support, but they do also have details of organisations and such, so they may be of some use (they also have a list of organisations you can contact on their website): http://www.supportline.org.uk/contact.php

There is also Health in Mind Scotland, who provide a few different types of support. They have a drop-in centre based in Edinburgh (not sure whether that's useful to you) and also an info line you can call: http://www.health-in-mind.org.uk/site-information/contact-us.html

There is also EdSpace, which is run by Health in Mind, and they have a page where you can search for different services in Scotland here: http://edspace.org.uk/service

Have you tried any of these? :chin:
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    hi mike,

thanks for your reply!

I have tried supportline once in the past. They struggled to hear me and advised me to phone back (as i talk into microphone quietly, parents are always in when they open) and as they cost to phone I haven't phoned since. I may try and contact them again about services (I can't seem to find the list on their website).

Looked into edspace and health in mind, but again can't use it (as I don't live in edinburgh). I live in a small town within the city, glasgow- there is a local mental health organisation for my council- they have a really long waiting list for support though and don't think they offer advice line generally. There is a lot of other places, but dependent on council area eg. even some glasgow services i can't access as although my town is in glasgow, its not the main part (hence different local authorities). I've looked into it. Oh well I really don't know who to ask, guess I'll just see how my gp appointment with the advocate goes :/
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    Hey apandav,

Eesh, it must be frustrating to be running into so many dead ends! Keen to hear about your appointment today though - how did it go? :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    Mike wrote: »
    Hey apandav,

Eesh, it must be frustrating to be running into so many dead ends! Keen to hear about your appointment today though - how did it go? :)

My appointment is in half an hour, meeting my advocate in 5mins to walk down